Chiappa triple threat or no

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Chiappa triple threat or no

Post by mickbr »

Came across one of those triple barrelled 12ga shotguns, 26 " barrels. I was thinking of adding a 12ga to the safe as have not owned one for some time. Three barrels is 50 percent better than two right?

But seriously does 3 reliable shots bridge any gaps/serve a purpose or is it niether fish nor fowl?

I'm not normally a shotgun guy for the record but in today's world maybe it's not a bad idea to add it. 12ga does some things better than anything else.... and three barrels does look so darn cool. they balance okay too.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Chiappa triple threat or no

Post by gamekeeper »

I handled the Westley Richards three barreled gun and often wondered why they were not more common, it seems the claims for reliability were maybe a little optimistic.

Volume II of The Encyclopædia of Sports and Games edited by The Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire which appeared in 1911 acknowledged exactly this; “… greater success has attended the Edwinson-Green three-barrel hammerless weapon for grouse, partridge, pheasant, and rabbit drives. The objections concerning complications of mechanism incidental to the introduction of the third barrel have been ingeniously overcome, and there is no doubt but that among a certain class of sportsman the three-barrel weapon will have a successful vogue.”

Green, who occupied retail outlets in Cheltenham and Gloucester plus a workshop in the heart of Birmingham’s gun quarter, built eighteen three barrel guns. His patent specifications of July 1902 outline an ingenious mechanism combining a single trigger with a three barrel configuration in which the right and left tumblers are cocked in the usual way by cocking rods while the central hammer is cocked by a pin protruding from the right hand hammer.

The Boss and Dickson designs are better known only because Green sold his triple barrels within the gun trade where the retailer took most of the credit. Some went to Charles Lancaster in London others to Lyon & Lyon in Calcutta but two were made up and sold as barreled actions to Westley Richards. The first, a 12 bore, left the Green factory in late February 1911 then early the next month a 16 bore was delivered. Both were given serial numbers in the Westley range 17340 and 17272 respectively and the Green records tell us Westley Richards paid 35 guineas for each.

The 16 bore, a sidelock ejector, was beautifully stocked and engraved and sent off to an international exhibition in Turin where it won a gold medal. Frederick Courtney Selous, who had recently squired Teddy Roosevelt around British East Africa wrote to Westley Richards saying, “Yours was far and away the best exhibit of Sporting Guns and Rifles (British and Foreign) in the whole exhibition.”

Both Green and Westley’s promoted the relative success of three barrel guns in their advertising literature. Green’s Gloucester trade label mentions only that they were makers of “three barrel guns with one trigger” while Westley’s catalogue offered the “new treble barreled game guns” at 80 guineas while echoing the sentiments expressed in The Encyclopædia of Sports and Game, “This weapon represents the highest development of this system, and now that reliability can be guaranteed it is confidently hoped that sportsman will appreciate its great advantages over the two-barreled gun for certain conditions of sport.
fff3barrelIMG_1418.jpg
Click to enlarge image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They look pretty cool ... but for use around the ranch I find the old single barrel shotguns to be about perfect for us. They are cheap, abundant, simple and plentiful. You can buy a half dozen and keep them in places where they are always close to hand. I like the short barrel ones for use on tractor or in the truck.
IMG_1049.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

They have been out for quite a while now . chances are if I ever handle one I would buy it. I see they make them in 20 ga as well. triple threat has short barrels and the triple crown has longer tubes. Hickok 45 has a good video on u tube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcgJAp38mmM
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with them. I wonder if a 3 barrel shotgun could be made like the old Drilling rifle/shotgun combinations?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:47 pm No experience with them. I wonder if a 3 barrel shotgun could be made like the old Drilling rifle/shotgun combinations?
I’ve always thought the Contender and Encore switch-barrel concept was cool, but if you have a double or triple barrel long-gun and can use inserts it would even be easier. The trick would be having the insert line up the same way all the time, and have a sufficiently long barrel to be accurate, but that shouldn’t be that difficult mechanically.

A 12 or 20 gauge barrel with a 22 LR or 22 WMR barrel would be my choices for the ‘fixed’ two barrels, then I’d probably get inserts for the third one in 223 Rem or 308 Win for longer range shots and something like 35 Rem or 375 Win for in between. If it worked out that ‘rimmed’ cartridges worked better there are plenty to choose from as well. Such a gun would certainly be a fun all around hunting gun for situations where you might encounter different types of game, or just want to plink with a 22 if the hunt was not successful. Of course one could argue that such a firearm would be halfway good at a lot of things but not really great at anything....BUT....that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be REALLY FUN...! :D

My other idea as a kid was to find an over under shotgun that was cosmetically abused but mechanically intact, and get a gunsmith to put a permanent rifle barrel for 223 or 308 in the upper tube, hopefully accurate enough to justify scoping it. And when going afield, either leave the bottom barrel for shot/slugs, or put a sub caliber insert in it for rimfire.

It certainly seems like a lot of times I go out to hunt or shoot with the centerfire gun and wind up wishing for whatever reason that I had a rimfire at some point, whether to pick off a squirrel instead of a deer, deal with a feral cat, or just kill vicious dirt clods.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A 20 gauge or 28 gauge with 25" barrels would get my interest for hunting, not sure I'd rely on one for defense but I suppose if that's all it was used for wear and tear wouldn't come into it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I'd really like one in 28 gauge too! Tho aint gonna pay more than $700. That aint gunna happen!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:47 pm No experience with them. I wonder if a 3 barrel shotgun could be made like the old Drilling rifle/shotgun combinations?
You mean like this ? ? ?

German Drilling (14).jpg

Left = 16 gauge (2.5" chamber), Right = 16ga to 22 Mag "Einstecklauf" (insert barrel), Bottom = 8x57 JR Mauser

I'm ready for anything in the Maine Woods with this.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mickbr, I ALMOST bought one of those in Triple Crown configuration. I really like them and they can "bump fire" too a lot of the time (see Hickok 45 video of his son doing it).

Really the only slight drawback is you have to compensate your aim slightly for the left and right barrels to the opposite direction. Not a big deal with practice. They are well made guns. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Can I get one with triple triggers?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nope, I don't think so, nor would you like it in operation if you could. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Saw Tristar was also marketing a tribore, I believe they had an msrp about 700 bucks. I thought about one just for kicks.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:30 am They look pretty cool ... but for use around the ranch I find the old single barrel shotguns to be about perfect for us. They are cheap, abundant, simple and plentiful. You can buy a half dozen and keep them in places where they are always close to hand. I like the short barrel ones for use on tractor or in the truck.

IMG_1049.JPG
They are good for bird hunting as well. Frankly, carrying a single barrel around in the field makes sense because it is so light and you save on ammunition.