.300 whisper.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Senior Levergunner

.300 whisper.....

Post by Ray »

The subject title is a salute to mister jones of ssk who actually invented it but for debate let's revert to the current .300 blk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout

What is the board's consensus ?

I use the same charge of 2400 under 85 to 150 gr. bullets out of an old contender and a newer cva V2.....

Your thoughts/opinions ?
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .300 whisper.....

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I very much like the .300 Blackout.

JD just didn't develop the cartridge into anything and kept it proprietary. What Kevin did made the cartridge into something that is commercially viable.

AAC took it to SAMMI and got it approved so that Remington (and now everyone else) could produce ammunition commercially and people could produce rifles and pistols commercially. They developed bullets that were properly shaped to make the cartridge reliable in a semi-auto action. They played with twist rates that had never been done before (because the rotational force is force on target too).

And then there is the Honey Badger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAC_Honey_Badger

As I said previously, I am a big fan of the .300 Blackout and it is the only rifle cartridge I currently load for. I find it to be much more effective on deer than any 5.56 or .223 and I shoot it quite a bit.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

Deer a few months ago:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

Hog:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Over on frontier sixshooter......

by Jared, Friday, May 12, 2017, 09:21 (1425 days ago)

I know it will kill but I have never been impressed with a .223 on animals. Last year I shot 3 or 4 hogs in the front yard using a 60gr partition. Every single one of them made it to the brush 10-65 yards away. Some left better trails than others but they all ran off. I switched you a 300 Blackout with 110gr Barnes Tac X and am 7 or 8 for as many shots and only one has made it out of his tracks. The one that did dropped then flopped around making it 5-10 yards to the creek bank and fell in. Last year along I shot around 17-18 hogs so I do know where to hit them.

by Jared, Monday, May 15, 2017, 22:34 (1422 days ago)

Varmint bullets in the Blackout are great for plinking but for hunting the 110gr Barnes TacTX is the way to go. I get 2400 with my 16" Carbine and the bullet hits way out of proportions to its paper ballistics. While I haven't shot a large hog with it every one has been a pass through with a large exit hole. I guarantee it will out penetrate any expanding 30 Carbine bullet on the market. Although a .30 Carbine with an expanding bullet is a decent performer.

Shot placement is key and anything can and will kill with the proper shot. I have had a .243 bullet blow up on a deers shoulder and not make it to the vitals. The second shot must have had the same results. The shoulder was obviously destroyed way it flopped around but there's wasn't enough penetration to kill. A better bullet would have meant a dead deer.

I am a huge believer in having two holes, even if the animal runs it it much easier to track them. Small calibers, marginally powerful for the task at hand calibers, and fast calibers say above 3000 FPS maybe 2800, really need a premium bullet if your shot is less than idea. The partition and Barnes are two of the best. Even then sometimes you will need more mass than the really small bores have to offer.

My neighbor shot several hogs with his .223 the only one recovered ran about 75 yards and ended up dead in my front yard. All of the ones I shot with a .223 made it to the thick Woods. I know two of my 3 shots were good, the 3rd might have been slightly far back but still would have been a kill shot with a bigger caliber.

by Jared, Monday, May 15, 2017, 22:44 (1422 days ago) @ Jared
edited by Jared, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:25

Hogs come in a variety of shapes and sizes from 50# or less to the truly big 250+. They are not bullet proof but can be hard to kill quickly. Their vitals are much further forward than a lot of other animals like white tails. So a lot of what you hear about hogs taking a lot of punishment is because people are shooting them behind the shoulder and the hog shrugs it off. I have seen it many times. Unless they are quartering away from you aiming behind the shoulder wil probably end up with a hog running off.

Anywhere from the ear to top of the shoulder is a good place to bring them down, I am not a fan of neckshooting deer because they are constantly moving their head and neck. A hog on the other hand Is built like a linebacker with no neck. So it is a fairly stationary target. If you hit too high they can drop then be back on their feet in a few seconds to minutes and too low they can run off. If you have a gun that can penetrate the shoulders it is a very effective shot. On a big hog it takes a lot of gun or a really good bullet to exit after punching both shoulders.

Another thing with hogs is often you will have a running shot after shooting your first. When they are running it is hard to precisely place your bullet and the extra power is nice to help break them down.

by Jared, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:23 (1421 days ago)

That is about the only way to really learn. I have seen some hogs take an amazing amount of punishment and keep right on going. There just isn't much quit in them.

There was one a neighbor trapped that I went to dispatch for him. His trap was made of gravel screen so the holes were not very big. I ha de been hunting so all I had with me was a rifle and my .500 Linebaugh. As we approached the trap the 200# boar went nuts, so getting a easy hit though the small holes with a boar running around was difficult at best.

I hit him through the top of the head a little forward of the ear from above, the bullet exited his neck and broke his lower front leg. Remember this is a 450gr LFN at 1100 or so through the brain. He dropped at the shot. We gave him a minute and went into the trap to drag him out. As soon as the other guy with me touched the hogs back leg he started kicking and trying to get up. We drug the hog out and cut his throat. He payed there and flopped a minute and stopped moving. So we looped a chain around his back leg and we drug him the 25 or so yards to the truck.

We unhooked the chain and the hog stood up swaying like he was on a 3 day drunk, looked a the us and then started swaggering slowly to the woods. All this probably 5 minutes after being shot through the top of his head, and 2-3 minutes after having his throats cut. He was dead on his feet but determined to keep going. I put another round through his shoulder and that did it. I know Kathryn had a new found respect for their toughness after that, she was a little freaked out when he stood up that last time.

Another was a 150# sow that I shot with a .35 Remington contender. I hit her in the neck just a hair high. It broke the top part of the spine and dropped her, it just didn't break the spinal chord. She layed there until I ha de time to walk up and then she got up very slowly and with much trouble. A 260 keith out of a USFA put her back down.

I have shot hogs with everything from .22LR to .45-70 and .500 Linebaugh. They can be tough to kill or just drop dead. The bigger calibers have a little extra slap and seem to anchor them in their tracks better. Even if it doesn't kill them they tend to stun better allowing more time for a second shot.
m.A.g.a. !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If'n I didnt have 30/30's,I'd have 300 BO's..
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

ITS 5:56pm DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR 223 IS?
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

Thanks for sharing that Ray,

Jared's experience mirrors my own. That Barnes 110 gr bullet is a remarkable performer in the .300 Blackout and it seems to do way more than the paper balistics would lead you to believe.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NtQxuQUhPoA

Here is Nosler 110gr Varmaegedon in gel. Got watching these when it was cold and rainy last few weeks while thinking about what ekse i needed to add to my collection.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-nYHfnUzM

Heres the one I meant to post!

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my BOs are Rem 120Gr, still don't know that they are the equiv of 762X39 on account of less powder. but gotta dance with the one i got . . .
1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

My favorite blk load is Sierra 110jhp over 19gr H110. That 'ought' to get the job done!
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

I have several boxes of that 110 gr Sierra on the way.
Ray
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ray »

"Re: .300 whisper.....
Post by 1894cfan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm

My favorite blk load is Sierra 110jhp over 19gr H110. That 'ought' to get the job done!"

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm
If your referring to Sierra #2110, I like that bullet but it is quite frangible and it is wont to seat wonky with excessive bullet run-out neck bulging. The solution is a bit more mouth flare than normal and keeping bullet oriented perfectly plumb between thumb and forefinger until the last moment as it disappears up into the seating die.

It sure makes the jello shimmy !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nh1JzR5V2s

The before mentioned barnes behaves more traditionally at 200 f.p.s. less velocity.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nsRUfA1_Alw
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

I'm not much on jello shooting, but that is really impressive!
1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

Ray wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:18 pm
"Re: .300 whisper.....
Post by 1894cfan » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:37 pm

My favorite blk load is Sierra 110jhp over 19gr H110. That 'ought' to get the job done!"

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 pm
If your referring to Sierra #2110, I like that bullet but it is quite frangible and it is wont to seat wonky with excessive bullet run-out neck bulging. The solution is a bit more mouth flare than normal and keeping bullet oriented perfectly plumb between thumb and forefinger until the last moment as it disappears up into the seating die.

It sure makes the jello shimmy !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nh1JzR5V2s
Yup, that's the one. I've had no problems seating it in the BLK, also I'm running it a bit slower than 2500fps, so it shouldn't be quite so explosive. Likely the reason I'm not having any problems is I picked up Hornady 30 carbine expander die and adjusted it to 300blk case length for use with cast and jacketed bullets. YMMV
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

1894cfan wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am
Yup, that's the one. I've had no problems seating it in the BLK, also I'm running it a bit slower than 2500fps, so it shouldn't be quite so explosive. Likely the reason I'm not having any problems is I picked up Hornady 30 carbine expander die and adjusted it to 300blk case length for use with cast and jacketed bullets. YMMV
I'm interested in this technique. Can you elaborate on why you think this works better? Thanks in advance.
1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am
1894cfan wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am
Yup, that's the one. I've had no problems seating it in the BLK, also I'm running it a bit slower than 2500fps, so it shouldn't be quite so explosive. Likely the reason I'm not having any problems is I picked up a Hornady 30 carbine expander die and adjusted it to 300blk case length for use with cast and jacketed bullets. YMMV
I'm interested in this technique. Can you elaborate on why you think this works better? Thanks in advance.
Well, when I first got the AR-Stoner side charging 300blk upper and started loading for it, I had a bit of a problem with bullet seating, especially with cast bullets. And since I already had an RCBS 30 carbine die set, thought I'd try using the flaring/expander die on the blk cases. Worked a charm, so instead of continuing using the RCBS die and having to switch back and forth, ended up getting the Hornady die to use with the blk cases, since the RCBS die was unavailable! Case length for 30 carbine is 33MM and length for 300blk is 35MM! HTH
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 3.0

I have a Dillon Carbide die set that I need to set up in my 550. I have only loaded on Lee dies up until this point. But I decided (before the latest shortage) that I liked the cartridge enough to set up to load it on the Dillon.
1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

I've only got an RCBS Reloader Special that I've been using for about 45 years, no progressives including Dillon. I reload as a hobby so much I really don't need to reload anything ever again, but do small batches just to play around with sub-sonic loads! :mrgreen: