Tutt's First Shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Tutt's First Shotgun

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've been researching shotguns for over a year now, actually probably more like 3 years I have been paying attention to the subject, but got more serious in the last year with all the violence in our society. So many shotgun choices!!! I was looking at semi-auto's, side by sides, even triple barrels. They all have advantages and disadvantages. I do have some limited trap experience through a friend who was a competitive Trap shooter. I seemed to be able to hit pretty well for a newbie at the time. I started to go back in time and look at the John Browning pumps as I enjoy traditional designs like leverguns. A YouTube video led me to an Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer Police Special. I looked on Gunbroker to find one, and came across an Ithaca L.A.P.D. Commemorative model in outstanding condition. Gentleman, I have to say, I stared at this beauty for a looooong time. I wrote MIc. Mic put me in touch with Robin Sharpless who was the VP I believe of Ithaca at the time in 1981. He said I should call him, so I did. It turned out these shotguns were made before Ithaca came under financial stress. Robin advised me that these shotguns won't "slam fire" and on extremely rare occasions under very rapid fire, an ejecting case might catch and ignite the cartridge ahead of it. This problem was fixed when they went to the 3 inch design according to Robin. So he did not recommend this shotgun for high speed use, although the incidences were extremely rare. For me, this would not be a problem. So it finally came home with me tonight, its a beautiful specimen! I probably paid way too much for it but in this new economy, maybe not. It's actually two shotguns with its interchangeable barrel system. It has a great set of rifle sights on the 18 inch riot barrel, and traditional ramp and white bead on the 28 inch barrel. I would like to add a rifled slug barrel to it next. They are available from Ithaca. Some quick baby pics I took tonight. Will take more pics soon as I'm leaving Saturday for CO and its going with me to see my friends. -Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Tutt's First Shotgun

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, I'd say you did really well... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Very nice! Those 37s are great shotguns. Certainly a good do-it-all gun. And to get a vent rib barrel to boot -Congrats!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Andy, beautiful shotgun. Pat bought me an Ithaca 37 for my first birthday after we got married in 75. Good choice! BTW I had one of those "extremely rare" incidents. I will show you pictures and explain how it happened.

I happen to have an extra barrel with the interchangeable chokes for it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very nice! I had an Ithaca police / riot gun for years until an old friend talked me out of it. I put a lot of shells through that thing and it worked every time.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

There is nothing like the old school pump action shotguns! You got yourself a nice one there!
Good luck with it. Let us know how it shoots.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pump actions work great. Looks as if you got a good one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well here you go Tutt, that "extremely rare" incident. Now the story is we were dove hunting along a tree line. I had just shot one. Now if you have hunted doves you know how they dart side to side so you have to be quick. Well, another one appeared out of the tree line. I racked the slide sharply at waist height to a big surprise. The remaining shell went off in in the magazine tube, the end of my dove hunting for the day.

You will see from the pictures that the run of the shell pivoting out the bottom hit the last one in the tube dead center on the primer setting it off. They're remained intact but the spring and follower were destroyed. The plastic plug to limit capacity was turned into tiny chips. All I had to do was replace those parts an d the gun was fine.

We had put thousands of rounds through the gun before mostly at thrown clay birds with no issues. I think what happened was sharply racking the slide at waist height sent the gun backward fast enough to disrupt the normal ejection cycle so that there's if the ejecting shell hit the primer of the next round in the tube. That shell was impaled on those carrier tongs. The ejecting shell was slammed into the receiver bending the rim.

That is my theory. You can look at the pictures one of which shows the two shells as they would have been when the tube round went off.

I might add that I don't think this would happen if the gun is shouldered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 am
I happen to have an extra barrel with the interchangeable chokes for it.
Fred, my barrels are fixed. I might know a guy who would throw in some discontinued 360 grain Mt. Baldy hard-cast Keith bullets at .453 to purchase that barrel. How long is it?

-A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, you mean fixed choke?

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Fred, thanks for the story. I can see the ammo was Remington, do you have any idea what the temp was that day? -A-

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:16 pm Tutt, you mean fixed choke?
Yup, I need to look up what they are so I use the right ammo but both barrels are fixed choke. -Tutt

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good deal Andy! An Ithaca 37 is a great gun. And that one is a beaut! I have a 12 ga. 870 that I won in a raffle, came with a 28" plain full choked barrel. I have always wanted a riot barrel for it, but my favorite barrel is the 26" SKEET choked barrel I got. I probably stays on the gun, 99% of the time, only coming off when I head afield to do a little bird hunting... (a rare occurrence)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff, I am interested in shooting Skeet, Trap not so much. As a newby to shotguns, what is a "Skeet barrel"? I'll be in CO by the way on Monday through Saturday of next week if you happen to be around. My bad for not letting you know.

-Andy

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Boy o Boy that sure is nice!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Classy looking firearm!!!
I wondered if Ithaca was still around...and I was very surprised to see they still make some real nice shooters...even 1911s
But I did not see any barrels with interchangeable choke available....just modified barrels...must have missed it
As you probably know, there are a bunch of chokes sizes
CYL = Cylinder
LTSK = Light Skeet
SK = Skeet
IMK = Improved Skeet
IC = Improved Cylinder
LM = Light Modified
M = Modified
IM = Improved Modified
LF = Light Full
F = Full
XF = Extra Full
I only shoot doubles skeet now, and I use Beretta 12ga's with improved cylinder chokes...
Right now I am looking for a 870 20 ga rem choke barrel and they are far and few between.
Skeet...to me, is much more fun than trap. Especially when its windy out..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Probably have to look at Hastings for a choke tube barrel OR find a used barrel and have it tubed.
RIHMFIRE, if you want a challenge at trap find an International Trap range- ya better bring tighter chokes! Faster, longer & harder angles that make a 99% ATA shooter curl up into the fetal position and whimper! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I didn't know there were so many choke sizes. The one I use most is Modified. It is good for most Pheasant hunting in the semi-desert of Western Kansas.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost