A Project For The Grandsons

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

A Project For The Grandsons

Post by JimT »

Not too long ago I picked up a Winchester Model 67A .22 Single Shot rifle. Made sometime before 1944, it was in pretty decent shape.
IMG_2068.JPG
I was wanting a good beginner's rifle for my grandsons. This one was a bit looooong for them.
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
So this morning I started in on the rifle ...
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG
The barrel was cut to 16 1/2" from the breech face to the muzzle. Then I had to cut a new dovetail to remount the front sight.
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
A little polishing and blueing and the barrel was finished. Then I started on the stock. First I cut off the forend and reshaped it. When that was done I cut 2" off the stock and refitted the buttplate.
IMG_2093.JPG
This is what I cut off the gun .. the barrel, forend and stock.
IMG_2104.JPG
The finished Boys Rifle
IMG_2105.JPG
The boys with it ..
IMG_2109.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG
It is now a proper Boys Rifle.

We will start out shooting CB Caps while they are learning safety, proper gun handling, etc. Living in the country we can shoot in the back yard with no issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A Project For The Grandsons

Post by AJMD429 »

What makes that extra cool is that you did it yourself.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

THATS what I call a "post of substance". Well done Jim.......and I might say, professionally. Those who are not in the know do not know how hard a dovetail is to cut without a milling machine for as you know, it only takes a job that is 5 or 10 thou off to destroy the whole job.

It's like a step back in time as most of us old heads remember similar stories. Most kids today want a brand new high dollar target rifle with a 24x Leupold.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, hiw much weight did you lose after cutting barrel and stock.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 pm Nice, hiw much weight did you lose after cutting barrel and stock.
I am not sure. I did not weigh it before and after. The biggest thing was it was so long with that 27" barrel! It's heavy for the youngest .. he's 5 .. but he will grow into it. And it is now compact enough they can handle it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cool. Hope you all have lots of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 pm THATS what I call a "post of substance". Well done Jim.......and I might say, professionally.
THANK YOU MY FRIEND! I appreciate that. I enjoy tinkering. John Linebaugh once told me I should stick to horse-shoeing. He was right .. I am no gunsmith ... and my milling machine is a horseshoe rasp! :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is awesome Jim! That sure will mean something to those grandsons!
Brings back memories. I found a nice 67 Boys Rifle when my sons were young. They had so much fun shooting it when they were kids. It hasn't been fired in years...... but I have a grandson and granddaughter now!

Great work!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Jim,

Somewhere in my stuff I have one of those Savage over under pack rifle .22 lr over 20 ga. It was all I wanted when I was a boy and my boy has no interest in guns.

I'd like to hand it down to your grandkids if you will let me. Still has the little case that it breaks down into and the compartment in the buttstock to hold spare ammo.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:24 pm Jim,

Somewhere in my stuff I have one of those Savage over under pack rifle .22 lr over 20 ga. It was all I wanted when I was a boy and my boy has no interest in guns.

I'd like to hand it down to your grandkids if you will let me. Still has the little case that it breaks down into and the compartment in the buttstock to hold spare ammo.

I would be honored, my friend.
You have my email .. maybe my phone number.
We can get together at your convenience.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's perfect. Those boys will cherish the rifle and the photos for a lifetime. Nothing better than this kind of family memories.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome job! I have two or three 67s including a factory Junior model. They cant be beat as first rifles. IMHO, a cheap gun from that era is far better than most if the "stuff" they are passing off as guns now.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A really good example of "Less is More" the kids will love it ..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I still have my 67. I thought about passing it on to my eldest, but then what would I do about his kid brother. I solved that dilemma y buying two Savage 24C camper companions.

When they got started they were only given.22 LR ammo. But once they had that down they were allowed to use the .410 barrel.

The eldest received his that Christmas and two years later the younger one received his. Big brother did a good job helping to teach the younger one. It wasn’t long before I was comfortable letting the go out together by themselves.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 pm THATS what I call a "post of substance". Well done Jim.......and I might say, professionally. Those who are not in the know do not know how hard a dovetail is to cut without a milling machine for as you know, it only takes a job that is 5 or 10 thou off to destroy the whole job.

It's like a step back in time as most of us old heads remember similar stories. Most kids today want a brand new high dollar target rifle with a 24x Leupold.-----006
I have a milling machine or two and I can mess up a dovetail with the best of them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:40 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:24 pm Jim,

I would be honored, my friend.
You have my email .. maybe my phone number.
We can get together at your convenience.

I'll make it happen. It will be my pleasure.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice. I bought a kid's CZ452 to get my daughter started and it's about that size. I hope you've got a stash of CB Caps somewhere. I can't find them or shorts or even longs. I mean, who bought all of the longs out?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Excellent work Jim. A fine example of what's important is the Indian, not the arrow. I never could figure out why a "boys rifle" had to be so dang big!

Now it just need a suppressor . . .

Cat
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Jim, did I ever show you the little Winchester 67 that Rich Hoch gave me for the boys? It was cut off similar to the one you did, but he fitted a Mossberg 4X scope to it. A rifle cut down like that works great off the floorboards behind the front seat of a sedan. I used to keep some 22 shells in my shirt pocket where they were handy. Stop along the ditch bank, grab the rifle, poke it out the window and pop the muskrat, prairie dog or other target of opportunity.

My uncles scrimped and saved to pick up one of the original 67 youth models and my brother has it now. The Hoch rifle gives kids the experience of shooting with a scope, the Moreland rifle gives them the open sight experience. It's hard to have too many of the old Winchester 67's around.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AmBraCol wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am Jim, did I ever show you the little Winchester 67 that Rich Hoch gave me for the boys?
No sir. At least I do not remember you showing it to me. You may have .......... :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:27 pm
AmBraCol wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am Jim, did I ever show you the little Winchester 67 that Rich Hoch gave me for the boys?
No sir. At least I do not remember you showing it to me. You may have .......... :lol:
We didn't use it that much in Missouri due to the boys having grown and become interested in repeaters. I picked up a Mossberg 43, or some such model number, that year and used it for squirrel on the old farm where we hunted that year, but took more squirrels with the AK Church Single Six than with all rifles combined. I may or may not manage to pack it in for Raton this year, we'll see. The problem is that my oldest grandson has grown past that rifle - I believe. It would make a good conversation piece on the range anyway. It doesn't group for sour apples on paper, but for first shot accuracy on vermin it does great. I've thought about relining the barrel to see if it would improve, but it still does its job and doesn't owe me anything.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I sure hope to see you in RATON!!