Pedersoli trapdoor officers rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Pedersoli trapdoor officers rifle

Post by barbarossa »

I m thinking about buying a new gun basically for deer hunting and woods loafing and I m considering the Pedersoli officers trapdoor rifle.Does anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli version? I like the fact it has a set trigger and a rear sight besides having the tang sight
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pedersoli trapdoor officers rifle

Post by hfcable »

barbarossa wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 pm I m thinking about buying a new gun basically for deer hunting and woods loafing and I m considering the Pedersoli officers trapdoor rifle.Does anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli version? I like the fact it has a set trigger and a rear sight besides having the tang sight
yes, I do have one and I have the H&R trapdoor repro as well. both are excellent shooters. the pedersoli seems to be a more correct reproduction .

for the purpose you mention, prefer the trapdoor officers model carbine with the tang sight. it is light and handy. all of these are very accurate. mine will shoot 400 and 500 grain bullets into the same 4" or so group at 100 yds.
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

500 grain at trapdoor velocities? Sounds like getting hit by a full cement mixer at 55 mph.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

piller wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm 500 grain at trapdoor velocities? Sounds like getting hit by a full cement mixer at 55 mph.
On both ends. :lol:

Actually, those old black powder cartridges are more of a shoooove than a jab and are a hoot to shoot, especially from standing as you can rock with the recoil and not feel it as much.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Thanks I really like the look of the Pedersoli version though they are a bit pricy
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Well crikey. Thanks for throwing another jonesing on me... I'd not thought of the Trapdoors in many a moon. Took a look on the 'broker. That Pedersoli Long Range looks like just the ticket to have a whack at the white bison over at the Whittington Center outside of Raton.

But the one that's always REALLY got my fancy are the 50-70's. Never have seen a reproduction of the same and the originals are pricey. One can dream though. :mrgreen:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

When I was younger I had one of the rare H and R trapdoor infantry rifles which they only made a 1000 of.That is another of the guns I wished I had never of sold
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:10 pm
piller wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm 500 grain at trapdoor velocities? Sounds like getting hit by a full cement mixer at 55 mph.
On both ends. :lol:

Actually, those old black powder cartridges are more of a shoooove than a jab and are a hoot to shoot, especially from standing as you can rock with the recoil and not feel it as much.
my son loved to shoot them with 400 and 500 gr black powder loads starting when he was 13. i find that generally recoil with black powder velocities really is a shove , not really painful at all. i shoot a lot of those loads in a variety of rifles.
to me a 308 subjectively kicks a lot worse.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

barbarossa wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:37 pm When I was younger I had one of the rare H and R trapdoor infantry rifles which they only made a 1000 of.That is another of the guns I wished I had never of sold
my son and i have each have a pair of the H and R trapdoor officers models - the rifle and the carbine, and each pair is consecutive serial numbered- so all 4 of ours are in consecutive numbering. we have the boxes and all papers etc

and the pedersoli i have does not have the tang sight .... i am planning to sell the pedersoli becajuse i have all 4 of the H and Rs, in my gun room which has no room left really.

.. if you are interested and want shoot me an email or PM...this rifle is essentially new, but not box etc i can make you a price way below the current price for these ...i took pictures getting ready to post it for sale,

not sure this particular rifle has ever been fired.

cable
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Thanks for the offer but I now I m really interested in the officers rifle since it would mainly be used for hunting
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i agree, i really like that tang sight and at my age i need it. officer model carbine is one of the handiest things to carry , and points really fast and well.

i did have an extra one of those tang sights, but gave it to my gunsmith friend to put on his trapdoor.

havent found a source for that type of tang sight.

will keep my eyes out for an officers model. i watch a lot of auctions and will let you know if i see one.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

just checked proxibid and there is at least one coming up for sale.

https://www.proxibid.com/H-R-OFFICER-S- ... 2#topoflot
cable