Factory Winchester 38-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Factory Winchester 38-40

Post by Oldncrusty »

Does anyone have first hand experience with the 180 JSP factory load in a third model 73? I hope to load my own soon, but have 3 boxes of factory to turn into brass. The oldest is late 70's-early 80's. Is it potent enough for white tails at 50-75 yards? Thanks
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Factory Winchester 38-40

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My great grandfather likely harvested many Indiana (fairly large) whitetails with a 32-20 using 1890's ammunition, so I'm sure the 38-40 could do the job.

It's all really about Shot Placement, and about Bullet Construction, and IMHO the only thing 'velocity' has to do with it is that it facilitates Shot Placement by minimizing need to range the target exactly. About any over-80-grain projectile of decent construction that is going 900 fps or more should be capable of a lethal wound, and a humanely lethal one if the target is not moving and the shot is well-placed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Ray wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:23 pm Factory box recommends for vermin.....

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunit ... er-X/X3840
I had seen that box somewhere, and thought it might be the last box I found. But alas, my silver box has the buck on it. Not sure what the deal is, but I suspect that more and more states might be requiring X ft.lb. of energy for a deer rifle to be "legal", so they had to take the deer off the box. I would bet it's the same load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Neat story Ray. Thanks!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Years ago I shot a small doe with the 38WCF and she went stumbling over a knoll. It looked like I'd shot through a red paint can! Also shot a large doe that spun took two jumps and smacked a tree.
They work.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never used that cartridge. Funny thing is that it earned a reputation for doing a good job back before deer evolved kevlar skin.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

Oldncrusty wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:03 pm Does anyone have first hand experience with the 180 JSP factory load in a third model 73? I hope to load my own soon, but have 3 boxes of factory to turn into brass. The oldest is late 70's-early 80's. Is it potent enough for white tails at 50-75 yards? Thanks
I will try to answer your original question in an around-a-about manner. So, I also have a third model 1873 but in 44/40. It is a circa 1889 manufacture, still a blackpowder timeframe. The 3rd model was produced from 1884 to end. So, here comes the clinching Question. What year was your rifle manufactured? That and only that information would govern whether you should even think about using that specific factory load / smokeless, also. Use this link to find date of manufacture: https://gun-data.com/winchester_73.htm

If, I am not mistaken (possibly) those rounds were meant for only the newer Model 1892's or smokeless era colt SAA or modern Marlins or stronger firearms. The velocity is only 1160 fps so the pressures should be low enough for most older smokeless firearms but not blackpowder.

To me, I would never use, I know some do, a jacketed bullet in the softer metal barrels from the blackpowder timeframe. If you want the brass just pull the bullets and reload with powder (blackpowder or smokeless) and lead bullets -- appropriate to your manufactured timeframe.

Sorry, but this is what I would do, in order to not ruin my original ' 73. 'I' would only shoot BP in any original 1873, even between the 1910's to 1920's. Just me.

Yes, the 38/40 is potent enough to take deer even with full BP loads.

I really like the 38/40 in a SAA and I am presently looking for a smokeless version of a 38/40 rifle.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks for the input.Mine is the same year as yours. I spent hours researching this topic. AFAIK, the ammo recommended for 92's etc., was marked "High Velocity" on the carton.