41 GNR in a lever?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

41 GNR in a lever?

Post by wvfarrier »

The 41 GNR really has my attention. Ive been pondering converting my Henry 44 mag to it. I was wondering if anyone has tried it in a lever action? If so, what was the result?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 41 GNR in a lever?

Post by Grizz »

looked it up. Mr. Reeder has been very very busy. interesting option, hope it works out.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you want it go fer it. Least brass is common and simple to form.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with it. It does sound like a decent idea. If yoy have the money, get a levergun converted. Get a pistol converted to match. It probably would be fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I didn't realize Gary was such an avid wildcatter! :shock: -Tutt

https://www.reedercustomguns.com/inform ... ridges.htm
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh, hmm, I've got a 41 mag Big Boy...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I''m not sure a Marlin/Henry action is strong enough for the 41 GNR pressure which I can't find a specific number for, but I think is a lot higher than 41 Mag or 44 Mag based upon its velocities. Gary makes them for 5 shot revolvers and Encores, no mention of leverguns. He's good about responding to email, you can ask him. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I think it would be fairly simple to convert a 41mag to 41GNR, ream the chamber, and it may work without further work, as the 41 and 44 cartridges are the same length.
If you started with a 44 mag rifle, it would have to be rebarreled and chamber done also.
I also don’t believe it would create undo chamber pressures.
Now the two larger 41 GNR conversions, are much higher pressures. One is built on a .454 case (.410GNR) and the other, (a 41GNR#2) is on a longer 445 SM case. The .41GNR is very simple to size and load. Put a 44 mag case in the press, one stroke, turns into a slight bottle neck round.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

For the OP, I have to wonder if the 429 Desert Eagle cartridge might also be a good option worth looking at in his 44 Mag rifle. It probably operates at 36000 PSI like its parent case, the 50 AE, and much more in the range of a levergun. I'm not sure if he would need a re-barrel going to the .429 DE but possibly not. Bear, thanks for your post. -Tutt

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/.50_Action_Express

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Guess that I will just stick with my 1895 .405 WCF. and I sure do not want a pistol in that cartridge.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'd be kinda leery of those trendy, "nearly-neckless" cartridges in a tube-magazine lever gun.

Not everything rhat CAN be done, SHOULD be done...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

CRS, if I recall, and its been many years, but your 405 was throated for a longer cartridge. If I'm remembering correctly, that was one of the best conversions I have come across in all my years, and I have almost "ponied up" and done the same over the years. Current project is a Model '88 Win in 416/284 McPherson that should do well, just below a 375 H&H. But your rifle has had me "color me green" for many years if I have my information right!

Buck, yeah, not every cartridge is suitable for a LG. But you were the maybe the first to make one in 454 Casull, and it can be done. You just need a really, really good gunsmith! Gary is extraordinary but not sure he does leverguns. I would again re-direct the OP to Gary, he answers his email very quickly. Stand-up Guy.

-Tutt

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Gary has been helpful for sure. Answering my questions as they come up. He sure has a lot.of wildcats!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus