My New Brass (even though it ain't brass)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

My New Brass (even though it ain't brass)

Post by JimT »

I now have 500 rounds of new primed .22 Long Rifle cartridges.
IMG_2028.JPG
interesting headstamp. I am not sure where they are from.
IMG_2041.JPG
Experimenting with them I discovered they are steel!
IMG_2042.JPG
I don't have any .22 caliber heel bullets so I used bullets I cast for the .22 Magnum, turned them around and shot them as a full wadcutter. The crimping tool for the .22 Magnum works just fine on the Long Rifles.
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
After a few shots I took to cutting the nose (now the base) off the bullet and making a shorter lighter heel bullet. I loaded some of these with salvaged powder from pulled .22's that did not fire or were dropped on the range. I also loaded some with Bullseye, Lil Gun and Pyrodex P. This is the Pyrodex P going off, shooting into my bullet trap .. a pile of wadded up t-shirts.
1.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
So far Bullseye and the reclaimed .22 powder has given the best performance as far as power and penetration goes. I need to find a source of .22 caliber heel bullets!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My New Brass (even though it ain't brass)

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Cool experiment!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Veeeeery intowesting.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good ole Jim is an incurable experimenter.....now I know why the Good Lord didn't put me and him near each other....

Jim....I took apart about a thousand .22's ...all Remington Hi Vels... ......and dumped the powder in the hopper and slowly worked my way up in a 38 Spl case in a Ruger stainless Blackhawk.....the burn rate is just a tad slower than Bullseye, pretty close to 231 but more easily ignited like Bullseye is...

My good friend Jack Kort used to load .22 rimfire......can't remember what he used for bullets but they looked professional as a completed round....

(An indoor range owner gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of loaded ammo that people dropped or some some reason or another left em there)-------6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am Good ole Jim is an incurable experimenter.....
I got it from my Daddy.
I remember him experimenting, loading 38 Specials using firecracker powder.
All I remember is they did go BANG and that Dad said it was real easy to use too much.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That's neat Jim, interesting stuff.

Six,

A thousand .22s? You are an experimenter for sure!

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Catshooter wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:54 pm That's neat Jim, interesting stuff.

Six,
A thousand .22s? You are an experimenter for sure!
Cat
Cat,....they were free and many were messed up with dented cases, damaged heads, misfires , and the like....was not worth it to go through them all.....I made up a jig where I just put the case in, and bent it..powder and bullet fell straight through in a coffee can. The heads make excellent projectiles for a sling shot....----006
Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool indeed! 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All right Jim, give out on your source of primed .22 cases or ... or ... :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 am All right Jim, give out on your source of primed .22 cases or ... or ... :lol:
I cannot give a name, but I can share this ...... they came in a package wrapped with tittiepink tape and inside everything was packed in ladies undergarments.
IMG_2026.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are you insinuating a member here? A cross dressing member?? :o :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:43 pm Are you insinuating a member here? A cross dressing member?? :o :lol:
No. I neither confirm nor deny that. What I was told, and I quote, "There is no better packing material than a padded bra."
:lol:
:oops:
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

They make good sling shots, and I have pics of them being used as cannon Ammo .......
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Speaking of slingshots, any of you's ever use 3/16th or 1/4" nuts for ammo?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Heres the post Jack did on loading 22s with black powder and the bullets he used. Its a fun read, something id love to try one day, too bad the supply of new primed cases that Armscor used to have dried up.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... -Adventure
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:36 pm Speaking of slingshots, any of you's ever use 3/16th or 1/4" nuts for ammo?
I grew up using irregular shaped ammunition, searching for the smoothest, least irregular, closest to the right size bits of water polished gravel. We'd load our stone bags up with rocks and have a grand time wandering around our bit of the Amazon basin flinging projectiles at random targets and getting fairly good at judging where a particular stone would fly when loosed from our home made launchers. Using an irregular shaped nut with regular irregularities might be interesting, but we were raised to pick up any such bits and bring them home for the "random fastener can" unless they were obviously stripped out or otherwise no longer usable for purpose. Now you've got me curious as to how something like that might work. But I've an old two cavity brass ball mold for an Italian built cap and ball resolver that throws about perfectly sized, mostly regular (pay no attention to the nib left by the sprue cutter) leaden projectiles with a convincing bit of heft to them, so can't see myself trying the nuts anytime soon. But now you've gone and thrown a curiosity on me that will probably bring forth an experiment one of these days. I'd be more likely to reach for a 5/16" or 3/8" nut though as I like some heft to my slingshot ammo.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AmBraCol, i could send you a 100 or so of each if needed, strictly for research and study, of course...
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 am AmBraCol, i could send you a 100 or so of each if needed, strictly for research and study, of course...
Thanks. We can get plenty here, in fact I've got more 1/4" than I'll likely ever use (came with some organizers I bought to sort my fasteners into) and enough 3/8" to satisfy any curiosity that lasts long enough for me to get the slingshot back up and running again. I'd just never thought of using a hexagonal slug of steel with threads through the middle as a projectile... now I'm intrigued. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com