30 Herrett or not?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

30 Herrett or not?

Post by TedH »

A friend of mine asked me if I reloaded 30-30. Well of course I do. He said he had a gallon ziplock bag full of brass he'd give me if I wanted it. So the next day I showed up and picked it up along with some other items we were horse trading. Didn't look at it till I got home, but it definitely wasn't 30-30 brass. A few measurements and a Google told me I had a bunch of 30 Herrett brass.
Now a couple hundred rounds of brass is a good reason to buy a new gun, right? Or leastways another Contender barrel. Should be a good cast bullet shooter.
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: 30 Herrett or not?

Post by Buck Elliott »

Brings to mind 3leggedturtle'signature line...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My brother shoots it in his 14" Contender and really likes it. Back in the day in was one of the dominant cartridges in IHMSA until everyone got so recoil sensitive and cobbled together all those magic 7s. I shot, and still do, .30-30 in mine but was always impressed with the .30 Herrett.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, I blame the late Bob Milek for my fondness for the .30 Herrett. It was the first wildcat cartridge I loaded for. I put together an outfit just like Bob's: 10-inch Contender barrel, 2X Leupold pistol scope, T/C chest holster and loading the 125-grain Sierra for deer. It was a wonderfully accurate outfit; I just never got the chance to put a mule deer buck in my sights. I think you would enjoy it!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Well you have the brass already formed so it seems logical to me. The Hornaday manual has load data. Or at least my older ones do.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have a 10" Contender barrel in 30 Herrett, the old guy shot silhouette with it in the early days of that game. He also hunted with it a fair amount.
For hunting with a handgun I prefer large heavy bullets out of a good sixgun. It has also been replaced in silhouette by other cartridges.
That said, it is a lot of fun to go smack steel at 200 yards standing on your hind legs like god intended. I have a ridiculous pile of 30 caliber molds so I can experiment endlessly which is what really keeps me interested in the cartridge along with the history. It is an interesting cartridge that filled a real void in available options at the time it was developed. Grab a barrel, you'll have a good time with it.

Eric
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well.... yeah, you gotta' have a 30 Herrett now. And your friend "owes" you the dies for it I would think after foisting those relics onto you.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Ain't no such thing as "too many" Contender barrels.

All the 10" ones I've seen look pretty much the same.
Here's a pic of my old sillywet 30 Herrett load
30Herrett_cast.jpg
Cast of straight linotype & water dropped it was plenty accurate.
But you could depend on it to leave a pig target standing with a center hit :o
Switched over to a softer alloy after that for the steel critters.
Hunting bullet was a 125 gr Ballistic Tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Dad's hunting loads were loaded with a 110gr hollowpoint, I think from Sierra. Pretty sure the bullet was one of those originally suggested by Milek in his early articles.
He messed around with 170gr paper patch bullets from a LBT mold for a while but said it was too much work to keep up with his practice and competition needs for silhouette.

Eric