Time to Wake Up... -- HALF THE TOWN!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Time to Wake Up... -- HALF THE TOWN!!!

Post by Old No7 »

I recently posted this story about the "Use, Misuse or Abuse of a Sound Amplifier" on a keyboard forum, and it was liked so much there, I figured the gang here would get a kick out of it too...

Old No7

My Story on the "Use, Misuse or Abuse of a Sound Amplifier"

Back in the early 80's at UMass Amherst, besides the M3 Hammond Organ & Leslie 145 rotating speaker, Peavey PA speakers with mixer for the Crumar String Machine & Mini Moog synthesizer, I also had an old Ampeg guitar amp that was 250 or 300 watts that I used to use with an old Farfisa organ. We didn't use the amp in my band, but it was always available as a backup. Living in a fraternity, one day the president came to me and asked if I could "Help wake up the house at 7AM on a Saturday morning" as a full work day was planned, including scraping and painting the exterior, and all hands on deck would be needed. Getting 10% of the guys up at 7AM would have been tough enough on any day -- nevermind a Saturday -- as 20% probably weren't even home by that time...

Anyway, I had an old electric alarm clock that had one of those obnoxious alarm sounds that years before I'd wired with a 1/4" plug for output, so we could play music from the AM/FM radio through the amp. We sometimes used it outside for music, at reasonable volumes -- but never for the alarm itself. So the plan was made, the trap was set, and at exactly 7AM the next morning............

WWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The power amp'd alarm went off!!

I successfully work up the whole Pike house!

And the sorority next door, plus the one across the street!

And the four other frat houses and two private home in the immediate area!

And when the police showed up with sirens and blue lights flashing, I was told I "Woke up half the campus and town........."

Oh well...........

I got summonsed for Disturbing the Peace, which the president gladly paid because the work day was a huge success and we got the house painted. The cops did take the Ampeg amp away -- they really wanted to take all of my gear, but after lifting the heavy Leslie speaker, they quickly put it back down and made me promise to "Never do that again". I recall that I got the Ampeg amp back a few days later, but I had to go and fetch it.

But that was the craziest thing I'd ever done with an amp.

- - - - -
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JimT
Shootist

Re: Time to Wake Up... -- HALF THE TOWN!!!

Post by JimT »

I woke up The Shootists 2 mornings in a row with a double barrel 12 ga. Shotgun, letting both barrels go at the same time.
The second morning one of the Shootists stuck a .44 out his bedroom window and convinced me I should not do that a third time.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Disturbing the peace can be a very satisfying crime to commit especially for those who have a strange sense of humour....... :?
For example, those bird scaring rockets used at some Airports, if let off very late at night you can see house lights going on for miles, I only did it once after getting complaints about my shooting disturbing the peace... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A buddy of mine had a WW2 air raid siren. One New Year's Eve we got it wired up and waited for the stroke of midnight. Not only did the lights go on in the immediate area but we found out the next day that it was heard in town 8 miles away, caused a bit of concern as no one know what the siren was for. Good times!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At a wedding reception in Midlothian, TX a few years ago, someone used enough tannerite to celebrate that the explosion rattled windows for 6 or 7 miles away.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Frat Boys....go figger. :roll: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV