Not a 9mm guy, but if I was ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Not a 9mm guy, but if I was ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

.. I would look closely at this new little Ruger for daily carry.
https://www.ruger.com/products/max-9/models.html
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Not a 9mm guy, but if I was ...

Post by Blaine »

If that had been around awhile back when I got my 365 SAS Sig, I might have gotten the Ruger.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I had a SIG P365 for a few months -- and went back to carrying my Kahrs (K9 or P9 Covert).

If I need THAT many rounds, I'm in the wrong neighborhood or I've ignored numerous warning signs to take evasive action.

Just my 2 cents -- which won't even buy 1 .22 round these days...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Had a P365 for a couple of months and traded it. The ergonomics just didn't work for me.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I did look at them last year when I was looking for a compact 9mm carry pistol. At Sportman's Warehouse they were $489, which doesn't put them in the low or even midrange price for these guns. I just didn't see much on them that justified me spending that amount, when there are plenty of other options at $100 less, or even cheaper.
When I boiled my search down to 3-4 guns the Max9 wasn't even close in the running.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just don't like anything without an exposed-hammer, so for now it is a SIG-938 if I have to have a 'really really small' gun. I know there are options out there that are double-stack and exposed-hammer though, but like others have said, if I need more than six or seven rounds, I should have either stayed home, or brought a rifle.

If I have to have a 'fairly small' gun, I'll opt instead for the 'Officer Model' I have that holds 12 rounds of 45 ACP.

If I get to have a real ('full-size') gun, I'll either go for the 1911 Para with 14 rounds of 45 ACP, or a Taurus 92 with 18 rounds of 9mm. The latter often gets the nod, because followup shots are indisputably faster per my own abilities, and because I like the ability for hammer-down carry.

I guess I just have too much OCD to relinquish 'control' to tensioned springs I have no say-so over... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Situational awareness is best. If I am going to knowingly go where I need 12 rounds or more per magazine, I will take something that does more damage with each shot. I try to prevent such need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm Situational awareness is best. If I am going to knowingly go where I need 12 rounds or more per magazine, I will take something that does more damage with each shot. I try to prevent such need.
Such insight is amazing. I wish I could foresee the future like that..... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Ruger Max 9 isn't exactly a very small gun. It is small enough for most to carry concealed, so that's why I looked at it. I also like exposed hammer guns, but for concealed carry in the most compact package I was actually looking for a concealed hammer or striker. I bought my SCCY 9 because it has a concealed hammer. I can see it coming back as I'm pulling the trigger, but it just barely breaks the rear of the slide before it drops. So I liked I could see it, but not worry about it getting snagged on clothing, or poke my side if I stuffed it inside my pants. I also liked that it's DA only, so it's very safe to carry, and not be cocked and locked, or a different trigger feel after the first shot. It's 10 rds. not 12 rds., but that's plenty for what I figure I need. With a spare magazine I've got 20 rds. and if it's not over by then I better give up.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blaine wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:20 am
piller wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm Situational awareness is best. If I am going to knowingly go where I need 12 rounds or more per magazine, I will take something that does more damage with each shot. I try to prevent such need.
There are some parts of Dallas where I do not go without carrying more than normal. I only go there when I have no choice. The Oak Cliff area is not a safe place to be.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Blaine wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:20 am
There are some parts of Dallas where I do not go without carrying more than normal. I only go there when I have no choice. The Oak Cliff area is not a safe place to be.
No real sarcasm intended... Around here, at least, there is no "safe" zones....the frackin ghosts are all over. :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live in a suburb where the most crime is from elected officials. Our current County Judge was once convicted of removing and destroying his opponent's campaign signs. He was caught doing it about 3 am. Still got elected somehow.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm I live in a suburb where the most crime is from elected officials. Our current County Judge was once convicted of removing and destroying his opponent's campaign signs. He was caught doing it about 3 am. Still got elected somehow.
Up and Down I-5 it's a 100% True Blue snotball....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can go about 30 minutes from home and get into areas like that. They shoot at each other very frequently there. Of course, now that the border is wide open, the drug violence has taken a sudden and sharp upward turn. I am sure The Medellin Cartel's surviving members and Pablo Escobar's men are wondering why they didn't think of getting Biden elected sooner.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Blaine wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 pm
piller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm I live in a suburb where the most crime is from elected officials. Our current County Judge was once convicted of removing and destroying his opponent's campaign signs. He was caught doing it about 3 am. Still got elected somehow.
I definitely agree as it pertains to any larger cities along I5 in Oregon-Washington!! But there are still small cities that have so far been able to resist the liberal politics the big cites embrace.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:52 am
Blaine wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:54 pm
I definitely agree as it pertains to any larger cities along I5 in Oregon-Washington!! But there are still small cities that have so far been able to resist the liberal politics the big cites embrace.
As the cities grow, and turn into sewage, the smaller outlying towns and villages become bedroom communities, and then blossom into another swamp. :evil: Little places an hour away from I-5 that were affordable 10 years ago are now commanding a minimum of 250K if the roof doesn't leak. :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV