Daylight savings time again.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Daylight savings time again.

Post by piller »

Every Spring we set the clocks forward an hour. In this time of electric lights and air conditioning, all that is needed is to start some outdoors jobs an hour earlier to avoid the Summer heat.
I think moving the time is just no longer needed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Daylight savings time again.

Post by Blaine »

As a nine year retiree, I don't set the alarm unless it's to make it to an appointment of some sort.
DST gives me light at the end of the day, instead of when I'm asleep in the morning. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I agree with you Piller! I say we change the clock by 30 minutes and everyone wins!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It's the bi-annual offering to the sun gods!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don't get too wrapped up about it.

But the concept of "time" and how important it has become to us is a strange thing.

Jim told me about people in Africa who do not live by the watch years ago. I'm not sure that the way we look at time and schedules serves us well.

But I am a hippocrite because, although I don't wear a watch, I make my living selling my time in 6 minute increments.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Meanwhile here in Coffee Country, we're STILL on Eastern STANDARD Time (from your perspective - Bogotá/Lima time here). An acquaintance in Medellin wrongly states we're on Central Time. Nope. We never move around, just stay the same - unlike you folks up north with your springing forward and falling back and all that stuff. Yeah, it's tough but we manage OK. And yes, we DO have visible changes in the amount of daylight from winter to summer. Not as drastic as up north, but we no longer get dark at 6:00 p.m. like back in December.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They did not do the time change thing in Mozambique either. The only difference between winter and summer was in the summer the set set about 5:30 and rose about 5. In the winter the sun set about 6 and rose about 5:30.

In the Tropics there is no twilight lasting an hour or more like here. The sun went down and suddenly it was dark.

It took me a long time, when I came back to the States, to get used to the fact that when it got dark in the summer it was about bedtime. In Mozambique when it got dark the fun was just beginning. It was time to go out to eat, visit friends, go shopping ... the evening was the fun time in summer because the days were so blamed hot nobody wanted to do anything.

I did love siesta.

Any nation that does not have siesta is not really civilized.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Arizona hasnt done daylight savings for ages. I think its likely the rest of the country will follow suit before long.

Daylight saving time - Avebury edition.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Finally, DST, more evening light !!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 pm Finally, DST, more evening light !!!
Exactly!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

As now-retired IS/IT support, I hated all the gyrations in going back and forth.

Just /blankin'/ pick one and stick with it.

DST was originally done to save energy. (and help business sales) As all of our computer gear got more time dependent (payroll, network logs, phone systems) time because *very* important.

If y'all remember, number of years back there was 'extended' DST dumped on us, to save even more energy. Started earlier and ended later. Later studies said energy savings were negligible.

That changeover cost a lot of companies a lot of $$ in software and firmware code changes, so at least someone got something out of it.

My last years I did a lot of telco administration with time changes requiring a system reboot - always scary.

Arizona always stood proud and said 'don't bother us', which was well and good till we got a centralized phone system and twice a year I would have to change them from Mountain to Pacific so their phones would be correct.

(wonder if guys I left behind figured out how to do this since it involves some system changes)

So now retired, I'm thoroughly irritated with it all. Please. Just pick one.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Malamute wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:23 pm Arizona hasnt done daylight savings for ages. I think its likely the rest of the country will follow suit before long.

Daylight saving time
this is doubly funny because time is measured from the Zero Meridian, which starts at Greenwich because a Brit invented accurate time keeping. if everyone wants static time it's trivial, just stop the earth's rotation, and suddenly time stops too. :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I just wish the flipping squirrels, ravens and cranes would follow the the DST!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!