Gun show report.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Gun show report.

Post by 2ndovc »

I really like the small rural shows around here where you can still stumble across something the guy on the other side of the table doesn't know what he has. I found this little Romanian .22lr training rifle off in a corner of the show that wasn't getting a lot of traffic. Most of the guys were lined up buying ammo.
It's not perfect but complete and original M56 single shot. A little cleaning at home revealed a perfect bore and an adjustable trigger of all things. It's a little beat up, but functions perfectly. Not bad for $125! I've seen them in a little better condition in the $300s.
Can't wait to put it on paper. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gun show report.

Post by wecsoger »

That is a great buy on that little 22. For a little plinker you can't go wrong with that.

My preference is for the smaller, more out-of-the-way shows.

The professional parking lot sharks and mark-up dealers are usually at the big ones.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That is the sweet fruit you occasionally find when wading through the brambles.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks like a crackin' good rifle, congratulations... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep....that's how you do it! .....Knowledge is power.......just guessing but probably 80% of my guns came from small gunshows and especially small local auctions.....you may have to attend 20 to find your gem but it's worth it.

Some of those pre war "trainers" will shoot up there with a Model 52. Test her out at 50 with some Green Tag....----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice find. I snagged a M68 repeater for the same price in a pawn shop. Hope to restock it someday.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's how I got my 22 LR / 410 Shotshell Savage - of the 'old type' where barrels were together, and the craftsmanship was excellent. It became my son's favorite gun ever (and he's had plenty to compete with it); I take pride in the fact that he values it over even an accurate AR-15 or powerful 12 gauge pump gun - he is a true hunter and appreciates that gun far more than I would have, especially at his age.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, glad that lonesome little .22 found a good home. Great rescue! Is it a "Cugir"?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Probably a tack driver, grats on the buy. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:59 am Jason, glad that lonesome little .22 found a good home. Great rescue! Is it a "Cugir"?
Bill,
It is, and the first one I've seen in a ling time. I use to have quite a few military trainers, but sold most of them off when they started getting pricy. I still have an Enfield No. 7 and a Yugo Model 56 which are both tack drives. The Enfield was another example of being in the right price at the right time. Back when Springfield Sporters in PA was bringing in tons of good surplus stuff, we just happened to be there when they opened the crate. The Royal Australian Air Force had contracted for 2500 of them but was never completely fulfilled so no one knows for sure how many are out there.
I'll have to get a good picture of that one.

Thanks Pitchy,
It's a cool little Cold War piece.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love those military training rifles. Good find.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Any Ruger Old Army or 357 Blackhawks? Hard to go wrong with any 22 for around $100 or so. Let alone getting a piece of history.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:21 pm Any Ruger Old Army or 357 Blackhawks? Hard to go wrong with any 22 for around $100 or so. Let alone getting a piece of history.
No luck on Old Army's. There were a few Black Hawks, but nothing really interesting. I did notice that most of the handguns were pretty over priced. I did see a Marlin in 375 Winchester, well used and kind of pricy at $700 for the condition it was in but I behaved. Not on my want list right now. Still need to replace a couple of .35 Remingtons.

jb 8)

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I still see nice condition Cugir's sell $200 and "sometimes" a bit less, but I'd be happy with that rifle for $125.00 Some of them are great little shooters.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I need another .22 rifle like a hole in my head. But at $125 it would have still come home with me!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jason, I am again reminded that you have excellent taste in firearms, I have to say. I was at a local gun show in Ukiah years ago and came across a Lee Enfield that even in my almost complete ignorance I could tell was special enough. It was still completely covered in Cosmoline. It had some peculiar markings on it with a squared "S" all over it. It had a really neat vernier rear sight on the back. I called my best friend who knew a lot about Enfields. It of course turned out to be a L.E. #4 Mark 1* made by Savage Arms in 1942. So I bought it, I may have paid $300 for it even, I don't remember for sure. A lot at the time if so. Worth twice that now.

I went to strip off the Cosmoline and got overly generous with the Murphy's Oil soap in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water. It stripped off the Cosmo alright, but also the wood stain and everything LOL. :roll: My bad. A refinish of the stock was the only option, so I did so using some Min Wax stain after steaming out and sanding the dings in the wood. The metal parts were perfect in their Parkerized finish. The general consensus of those who have seen it is that it was never issued, all matching numbers. Its going with me to the Friends of Billy Dixon Shooting Range in April with a custom long range load. If your in the area, please come by about April 6th or so.

Unfortunately I can't get my photos to post here, driving me crazy, can't figure it out.

Yes indeed, it is always worth attending a local gun show. You never know what you may find. One of the other better finds was a old Pabst Blue Ribbon "Church Key" bottle opener. Its rock solid, so much stronger than the cheap stuff made now. It will last forever. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Tutt,
The Savage No.4s are great shooters. I love the Enfield rifles, we were buying them half a dozen at a time in the early '90s from the importers, keeping the best or unique rifles and selling off the others. Now, i wish we had kept them all, but between my dad and I, we still have a couple dozen. My favorites are the Australian Lithgow's but that Savage will outshoot them all. I've been wanting to take it and my Finn 39 to Camp Perry for the Vintage Rifle matches, but it seems like something always comes up. I have my eye on an Australian .22 trainer right now. We'll see how it goes. :D

jb 8)