Magpul

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Magpul

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've not bought any new magazines for my AR's since 1994. We all remember how that went ... at least those of us with graying hair. But I've always wanted to check out the Magpul stuff that didn't really exist back then. A lot of my stuff is the original aluminum military style ... usually Colt marked in 20 and 30 round. There's a really interesting array of these PMAGs in various capacities for 5.56mm and 7.62mm (SR-25 fit) and even 300 Blackout apparently. They seem to have also wandered into the drum mag arena for some of the most common cartridges. Back in the day, only the then-new Beta C-Mag in 5.56 was available and it was too new to have any volume in the market. Back then, you'd have been lucky to get one for $500.

I just read about a new bill introduced in Congress that pushed me over the edge. Sellers seem to not have noticed the 10 round language in the bill yet and so the prices are still quite reasonable. I suspect this will have changed by the end of this weekend. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

I expect to have a lifetime supply on my doorstep by mid-week. Of course, most of you are probably already flush with what you need. I just don't have any of the polymer stuff and wanted to get some before ... I can't anymore. I hope their quality is on par with their market position ... I would assume so anyway.

While I was shopping, I also noticed that ammo is crazy hard to find. I may have also over-bought ammo back then so I don't really need any but I was kind of shocked by the limited availability and prices. I guess I need to get out and shoot more.

Is there a primer crunch again as well?

I'm probably really going to date myself here but ... whatever happened to the 200 grain flying ashcans? Is there a 45ACP replacement for those? I'm not out, yet, but I'm a bit low.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Magpul

Post by AmBraCol »

You haven't been paying attention, apparently. :D There's been a shortage ever since folks bought up ammo and components to use in guarding their toilet paper hoards last year. I've not looked for standard capacity magazines in years as there's enough in the cache for all intents and purposes. If we need more (speaking personally) then we're in need of a crew served weapon and a couple pallets of belted ammo. Primers are selling or absurd prices on the 'broker auction site. Brass is mostly gone except for weird calibers. Projectiles are also a hit or miss proposition. This year a new caliber comes to the cache - and I'm having "fun" laying in supplies for it. Have a backorder in at Starline for the brass and an offer from one of the members here to send a few should that not pan out in time. You'd better get your mag order in before the hordes rush to hoard them.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My only non Magpul magazine is the one poly mag that came with my AR15 when I bought it new. I went out and bought a small supply of Magpul mags and at that time 20 or 30 rd. mags were $15 ea. and they had tons of them at Sportsman's warehouse near me. Haven't watched prices, or availability since as I felt I have enough.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have gone to poly mags for my 5.56 rounds. My steel magazines are reserved for my .458 Socom. That one only likes metal magazines and .325 grain gummy tipped bullets for my setup. Since it is sort of picky, it is left to being a special purpose gun. I have tried some factory loads in it. I have tried the poly magazines. Nope!

My American Rifle type 15 in 5.56 loves the MagPul magazines.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

a year ago i finally gave in and bought a ar 15, it came with magpul mags, they have worked with no problems
as has the lancer & some thing else i picked up. all USA made, all my reload ammo was set up for a H&R
handi rifle & of course seated to long for the ar mags, so that was nothing more than a really boring job
to seat them deeper :lol:

ollogger
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got a Colt 6700 that is still in the box from back in '94. I had taken it out of the plastic bag when I got it, pulled out that strange cardboard straw that Colt put in there, oiled the bore, and put it back in the bag and box. I've not really seen it since. Might be a good gun to try those Magpuls in when they arrive. I've still got an "excess" of Hirtenberger SS109 in battle packs that I might dip into. I guess that stuff would be called M855 these days. If I recall, the 6700 was the first AR flat-top with the removable handle/A2 sight.

Now I'm wondering if I should pull the bolt and carrier and spritz with some teflon dry lube before I run it too hard.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:34 pm I've not bought any new magazines for my AR's since 1994. We all remember how that went ... at least those of us with graying hair. But I've always wanted to check out the Magpul stuff that didn't really exist back then. A lot of my stuff is the original aluminum military style ... usually Colt marked in 20 and 30 round. There's a really interesting array of these PMAGs in various capacities for 5.56mm and 7.62mm (SR-25 fit) and even 300 Blackout apparently. They seem to have also wandered into the drum mag arena for some of the most common cartridges. Back in the day, only the then-new Beta C-Mag in 5.56 was available and it was too new to have any volume in the market. Back then, you'd have been lucky to get one for $500.

I just read about a new bill introduced in Congress that pushed me over the edge. Sellers seem to not have noticed the 10 round language in the bill yet and so the prices are still quite reasonable. I suspect this will have changed by the end of this weekend. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic.

I expect to have a lifetime supply on my doorstep by mid-week. Of course, most of you are probably already flush with what you need. I just don't have any of the polymer stuff and wanted to get some before ... I can't anymore. I hope their quality is on par with their market position ... I would assume so anyway.

While I was shopping, I also noticed that ammo is crazy hard to find. I may have also over-bought ammo back then so I don't really need any but I was kind of shocked by the limited availability and prices. I guess I need to get out and shoot more.

Is there a primer crunch again as well?

I'm probably really going to date myself here but ... whatever happened to the 200 grain flying ashcans? Is there a 45ACP replacement for those? I'm not out, yet, but I'm a bit low.
i have a few 3o rd magpul polymer mags. good mags! no problems. you can even get em with a clear window well to eye ammo depletion level
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mag Pul's are the way to go even though I never had any issue with Colt marked steel mags........mag Puls, as you know, are made with some kind of a plastic that makes the rounds glide into the chamber...they dont dent up or rust.....the military went to these mags.....

It's good to take your gun apart to learn it....you can learn the basics an AR in a couple of hours.....if you want to clean it go ahead or you can shoot it and as it heats the gun will smoke a bit.......your not going to hurt it....

So yes, take out the bolt carrier and disassemble it....watch how each part relates to each other...you WONT hurt it and cannot put it back together wrong......nothing magical about it and you will not be taking it to someone who can put it together for you....even the triggers are easy.....once you learn the triggers, (which is relatively easy) you can swap one out in 5 minutes...at most......

You need to be framiliar with your gun...this will enable you to make a "quick fix" when you get a hang up, stove pipe etc....bad man won't wait for you. :D ------006
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only thing you can do wrong to an America's Rifle is forget the pin which holds the firing pin in place. That can lock it up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

No problem with MagPuls. I wouldn't leave any 223 magazine loaded unless required, and ESPECIALLY ones for Mini-14's where they aren't really supported from the sides - 'plastic' ones under those conditions can bulge and distort. The MagPul ones don't seem as vulnerable to that, and I only leave one 223 loaded long-term, and it is a well-supported-from-the-side AR-15 one (MagPul 'drum'), and I've had no problems with it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Hmmmmm?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just got a email sale notice from AR15 Disccounts.com showing Magpul 30 rd. mags with the window in them for under $14 ea. I might order a few more, even though I don't really need them. Funny thing was the same ad showed 10 rd. Magpuls on sale for $16!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:55 am Just got a email sale notice from AR15 Disccounts.com showing Magpul 30 rd. mags with the window in them for under $14 ea. I might order a few more, even though I don't really need them. Funny thing was the same ad showed 10 rd. Magpuls on sale for $16!
Already sold out.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm No problem with MagPuls. I wouldn't leave any 223 magazine loaded unless required, and ESPECIALLY ones for Mini-14's where they aren't really supported from the sides - 'plastic' ones under those conditions can bulge and distort. The MagPul ones don't seem as vulnerable to that, and I only leave one 223 loaded long-term, and it is a well-supported-from-the-side AR-15 one (MagPul 'drum'), and I've had no problems with it.
The old Mini14 Thermolds are good, I've had a few loaded for a few years with no problems. They're still being sold, but don't know it they're what I got 30 years ago. YMMV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I leave that box of Magpul magazines loaded (28 rounds each) with the dust covers on them all the time. I'll pull out a few on the rare occasions that I actually shoot an AR and load them up when I get back to the house. The idea is something like, if I need an AR bad, I will need the magazines to be loaded and ready to go.

Ive done this for years with no ill effects.