New OLD Elk Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

New OLD Elk Rifle

Post by jkbrea »

Running a gun club, I get to meet great people. A member recently asked if I wanted a Rem 1903A3, 30-06. He loaned it out and got it back minus the stock. It was switched out, then lost. I said how much and he said if I get a stock for it, I could have it. He delivered it and it was sweet. Not a speck of rust and the barrel looked immaculate. I bought a stock and hardware through Sarco. It needed to be fitted to seat all the way so I had a gunsmith do it. He said it was all period correct, (1943 I think), with all the markings and in great shape, although he thinks the barrel had been replaced long ago, but shot very little. I know very little about these rifle and learned scoping them is a pain and sacrilege! Haha.
Got it back yesterday and just shot it. First three rounds were quick at 50 yards to see if it was on paper. I used a very old box of 180 gr Rem Kleenbore. All hit! Next three were old 150 gr Silvertips. Grouped under 1". Then I shot at 14" steel plates out to 300 with no misses! It feels solid and cycles soo smooth. I may get a round aperture for the rear sight.
I think I have a new elk rifle!
20210311_132251.jpg
20210311_125402.jpg
20210311_131823.jpg
20210311_131808.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New OLD Elk Rifle

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes, I think your new Elk rifle is also a keeper.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A fine weapon.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You got a nice one. Hope you can get an elk with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

One of the best OLD elk rifles available. They come better looking, but not better shootin. Good luck in the field.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

You got yourself a really great old rifle! :D
I like that you kept it original. A lot of them have been heavily sporterized over the years. My own '03A3 has a two groove barrel and it shoots cast lead bullets very well. As for scoping them, it can be done without being sacrilege. I used the USMC scope made by Leatherwood Optics for a period correct look:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Shasta wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 pm You got yourself a really great old rifle! :D
I like that you kept it original. A lot of them have been heavily sporterized over the years. My own '03A3 has a two groove barrel and it shoots cast lead bullets very well. As for scoping them, it can be done without being sacrilege. I used the USMC scope made by Leatherwood Optics for a period correct look:

Shasta
That looks awesome! I just have a Weaver K4 I was looking into mounting on it. Maybe later.