.327 Federal?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.327 Federal?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Does anyone here have any experience with this cartridge in a revolver?

I have an old Single Six in .32 H&R and its a good little gun that I should get out and play with sometime. But the .327 Federal seems to be loaded a good deal hotter and I wonder if any of you have opinions on this cartridge for use by an outdoorsman?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .327 Federal?

Post by vancelw »

I've got a Ruger SP101 in .327. Haven't really shot it much yet.

There are several gunsmiths that convert Bearcats to 5-shot .327s.

I have a Blackhawk Buckeye in .32 H&R/.32 WCF. I've considered reaming out the .32 cylinder to .327.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is has quite a bit of bark and snap in a 3" SP101. It operates at 45,000 lbs. Best used in a larger gun. I load mine down.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer has a SP101 with adjustable sights in .327 Federal. In a handgun, it is hotter than the .32-20 by a fair amount. In a carbine, the extra powder gives the .32-20 a slight edge. The .327 Federal with a 115 grain flat nose lead bullet is pretty much right in between a .38 Special +P 125 grain and a .357 Mag 125 grain as far as power. It is a fast little cartridge from a pistol. Since it is high pressure, just be sure the frame it is put in can take it. The 100 grain soft nose jacketed are rather fast. I wouldn't be against using it on coyotes. In the unlikely event of a wolf attack, it would probably be fine. For bear defense, I would not think it would my first choice. Accuracy in PillHers revolver is good. 2 inches or less at 25 yards all day long with only a 2 hand hold and no rest. She shoots it much better than I do. The grip is a little small for my hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great little cartridge, and a lot of fun to shoot.

I bought one of the Single Seven's with the 7" barrels when they came out to replace a couple of .32 H&R's I'd had. It certainly gives you a wide range of loads and cartridges to play with. Very accurate with the .32 Long and .32 H&R, the .32 S&W is fun for plinking around the yard. The .327, is a lightning bolt of a round that splits woodchucks in half. I haven't done as much reloading with the .327 yet as much as the .H&R but it's pretty easy to tailor a load to what you want to do with it. Mine has become one of my favorite guns to just go plink with.
I've run a few .32 ACPs through it, works fine but accuracy stinks as one would expect. With a hot .327 load it's as loud as a .357 Magnum w/ a speedy 125 gr. bullet. Until I got the .327 I thought that was the loudest handgun on the planet. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I always thought the .30 Carbine in a Ruger was the loudest gun. But that .357 Maximun is close!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

With full power loads it is impressive, however I mostly load it down to loads like a "32 h&r +p". I mostly shoot targets , but loaded down it's a nice cartridge, I also have a 32 h&r , I like the federal better, not because of the cartridge, but that gun has better sights, the h&r only has windage adjustment. Both are sp's.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm I always thought the .30 Carbine in a Ruger was the loudest gun. But that .357 Maximun is close!
I bought one of the first Ruger .30 Carbines I saw when I was discharged from the Army in 1969. I remember standing in front of my '64 Fairlane and shooting it. No ear plugs. When my hearing sorta returned the front bumper on my Fairlane was still resonating a loud hi-pitched ring. Later I read George Nonte's report on the .30 Carbine in a sixgun and agreed. He said shooting one was like having a dynamite detonator go off in each ear while simultaneously being hit in the face with a wet towel.

That was a pretty good description.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got it in an SP-101 when they first came out . Shot factory in it . Reloaded the cases with jacketed and later cast and reloaded with cast using the same molds I used for the 32-20 . I liked it plenty only thing I found about it complain any was how loud the darn thing was . Granted in a longer barreled revolver or rifle of some sort that would most likely be negated .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was always of the opinion that an S&W in 22 Jet was ear deaffaning loud .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I had some credit at the gun shop from them selling some consignment guns for me. Rather than take it in cash, I had them order one of these for me.

Its a Single Seven in .327 Federal with XS sights. But it has the aluminum grip frame and ought to be handy to tote around. Now all I need is to find an old Ruger Practical Holster for a short Single Six.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 327 full power loads are loud and obnoxious. It has accuracy. I load mine down to about 1000 fps with 115 gr lead bullets and they hammer raccoons. That way it is as pleasant as 32 H&R loads to shoot. I have never shot full power loads out of the single 7. only in the Blackhawk and they were very manageable.