Playing with a New Toy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Playing with a New Toy

Post by JimT »

.22 Magnum Reloading Kit.

Has a small 2 cavity mold with it. Below, the bullets compared to a 124 gr. 9mm.
IMG_1976.JPG
You need magnifying glasses and a tweezer to do this!
IMG_1978.JPG
The above is a dummy round ... just trying to see how the tool works. The 2-cavity mold has a crimping tool in it also. Seems to work nice. I don't have any fired cases right now ... gonna have to go shoot some so I can reload them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Playing with a New Toy

Post by GunnyMack »

I remember seeing those rimfire reloading tools, you are the first I've heard of that has one. Please let us know how it works! 40 gr bullet ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:27 pm I remember seeing those rimfire reloading tools, you are the first I've heard of that has one. Please let us know how it works! 40 gr bullet ?
Yes .. the bullets weigh 40.4 gr. in the alloy I am using.
I don't plan to load many of these. I just wanted to get it working so I could if I ever need to. Looks like Lil' Gun gives the best velocities .. near 1800 fps. I want to try out a few powders in it when I get a chance and see how they work.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Lilgun eh? Hmm I've got 8 lbs of that! Where does a guy find the mold/ loading tool ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm Lilgun eh? Hmm I've got 8 lbs of that! Where does a guy find the mold/ loading tool ?
http://22lrreloader.com/

The guy has lots of innovative ways to make things go "Bang!"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ain't that sumthin'..

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Cool to the n'th degree. Gotta have it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another company has a die but dunno if it resizes...

https://fedarm.com/product/22lr-reloading-kit/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JimT;
Just letting you know that the priming compound is corrosive and needs to be cleaned off like black powder. I got this info from marlinowners.com reloading stickies. HTH
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Seems cool but I think I will just cast and reload 25/20’s or 32/20’s.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

1894cfan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 pm JimT;
Just letting you know that the priming compound is corrosive and needs to be cleaned off like black powder. I got this info from marlinowners.com reloading stickies. HTH
Thanks. I had read that also.
This is not something that I would make a habit of doing. It is an emergency source of ammo. For not too big a layout you can have enough materials to load many thousands of rounds. That might come in handy some day.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 am
1894cfan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 pm JimT;
Thanks. I had read that also.
This is not something that I would make a habit of doing. It is an emergency source of ammo. For not too big a layout you can have enough materials to load many thousands of rounds. That might come in handy some day.
True - then there are the 22 blackpowder pistols from North American Arms... 8)

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22m-cb/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for the post Jim. lot's of good products and information on that site.....I like the percussion cap maker. it wouldn't take long to pay for itself today. # 11 caps that used to be 2.99-3.99 are now 8.99 a 100 at the local store. :shock: .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Jim,

That is interesting. Do you intend to do something like a lee tumble lube or get your neighbor to coat your bullets?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am Jim,

That is interesting. Do you intend to do something like a lee tumble lube or get your neighbor to coat your bullets?
I will try both. The powder coating would be better for top end velocities I would think. I am also planning on trying some 50 gr. jacketed bullets.
I probably won't get started on it this month. But it is something to tinker with in the spare time. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure I'd use it much, but it looks like something I should have as a just in case backup.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does Hoppes number 9 still do a good job on stopping corrosion from corrosive primers? That used to be one of the selling points. Is the formula still the same?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm a little slow on the uptake...how do you re-prime the rimfire? :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Blaine wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm I'm a little slow on the uptake...how do you re-prime the rimfire? :oops: :oops: :oops:
There are several ways but all involve cleaning out the rim so the remains of the previous priming compound is removed.
Then you mix up the priming compound. Some of it is more explosive than others and care must be taken.
When it's mixed you add some acetone, put a few drops into the cartridge and pack it into the rim. Then let it dry for 24 hours .. some say you don't need to wait that long but I prefer to make sure it dries.

The Reloading Kit comes with a rim cleaner/packer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:42 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm I'm a little slow on the uptake...how do you re-prime the rimfire? :oops: :oops: :oops:
There are several ways but all involve cleaning out the rim so the remains of the previous priming compound is removed.
Then you mix up the priming compound. Some of it is more explosive than others and care must be taken.
When it's mixed you add some acetone, put a few drops into the cartridge and pack it into the rim. Then let it dry for 24 hours .. some say you don't need to wait that long but I prefer to make sure it dries.

Thanks....DamDust thing I heard of yet.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Blaine wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:44 pm

What is amazing is how long people in various parts of the world have been doing this!
Since the time rimfires began to be used, people had to figure out how to keep shooting.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Watchin' this one, Jim. Eager to see your field results.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm
Blaine wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:44 pm

What is amazing is how long people in various parts of the world have been doing this!
Since the time rimfires began to be used, people had to figure out how to keep shooting.
Way back in the early part of the last quarter of the last century of the last millennium 22 LR ammo was $10 a box of 50 - and you had to have a permit to buy any. Two things were lacking, the $$ and the permit, so it was either black market (which increased the price considerably) or reload. Two CBC berdan shotgun primers would provide enough priming compound to reprime an empty 22 LR shell. Fill it with 3Fg powder and press a 3T shot on top with slip joint pliers and you had a decent reload for up close shooting. Just make sure the cartridge is oriented so that the firing pin impacts 90* or 180* from any other firing pin indent in the rim. One could get three reloads out of one empty 22 LR that way, unless one should use firecracker powder instead of 3Fg, which would result in a blown case head. (we only tried that once). Necessity is the mother of invention.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com