Expensive gun vs Experirnce

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Expensive gun vs Experirnce

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhU-U ... e=youtu.be

Kind of a fun range session.

Moral of the story - shoot what ya got... :wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Expensive gun vs Experirnce

Post by rossim92 »

yep! this guy off the wall. tell it like it is. Its whats wrong with society now a days. I'm surprised u tube hasn't blocked his videos.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I click on the link, it goes to his one about parler.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:06 am When I click on the link, it goes to his one about parler.
Sorry link fixed...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It looks like both of the shooters have spent a lot of time on the range. Most people won't really shoot competitively, though it is a great way to add some pressure to hone your skills. I shot a bit of IPSC back in the day, and it definitely made me a better shooter in that I became very familiar with the 1911 platform and could run it under duress.

I'm not sure how much it added to my practical ability to use the gun in self-defense situations. I think that is more of a mindset thing than a weapons handling thing. But it doesn't hurt to be able to run your gun under unexpected conditions.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott put it rather well.

Yes, shooting at a gun range where it is just punching holes at a set distance and stopping to let the range go cold is helpful. Learning to shoot under some stress and changing conditions makes you better. Hunting is sort of the changing condition scenario. However, practice and familiarity with your gun is a big help no matter what. Mindset is what makes the difference in situations where your life or the lives of your family are in danger.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh fellers, my take-away was different. I got the impression he was saying you don't NEED that $5,000 gun to shoot competitively, you just need PRACTICE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Griff

I see your point. When I shot IPSC, I shot the same gun I carried on duty. It only made sense to me to train with what I carried daily. I wasn't a top tier shooter, but I was not easy to beat either.

Jack Weaver shot a 6 inch K frame .38 in competition because he carried the same gun on the street. Jack was no slouch with that gun.

People have always tried to buy scores by purchasing a gun that gives them an advantage. I don't begrudge them that. But if they invested that money in a good .22 and carefully developed their skills, they probably would not need to buy a (shudder) $5,000 handgun.

A couple of years ago, I went out to Gunsite to shoot the Alumni Shoot. It was a wonderful opportunity to visit with old friends and shoot in a competitive manner again. We were supposed to bring what we carried, so I brought a short (4 inch) 1911 with a short (Officer's size) gripframe in .45 ACP, because that is exactly what I was carrying daily. I carried it in the same Simply Rugged holster that I carried daily. I had a great time and came in the top half even though I was hurting from a back injury.

I saw so many people with hi-cap 9mm race guns with extended magazines in holsters that simply were not street rigs. But you cannot buy competence. That was not impressive to me.

Two guys really did impress me. The first was an older gentleman who was shooting an N frame Smith and doing it well. The other was a NJ State Police Officer who was shooting with my group and he had a little Glock 48 with the factory trigger and sights. That man could really shoot!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A few years ago when I took my first class for a Concealed Carry permit, we had to shoot for at least a minimum score to pass the class. One person had a 9mm semi-auto that was all tricked out. I had my totally stock Ruger P-85. 50 total rounds. By the end, my score was higher than his. In fact, of the 20 of us, 10 with factory stock handguns had higher scores. He had gone from sort of smirking and showing his gun to wanting to hide. One woman had a brand new little Bersa .380. She was only 2 points behind him. That Bersa was a surprisingly good shooter. She was calm and just sort of not trying to get noticed at all. The only person with a perfect score was a fellow shooting a .38 Special. You cpuld tell that he knew that gun well.
D. Brian Casady