Uberti 94 sporting rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Uberti 94 sporting rifle

Post by barbarossa »

Anyone have a experience with the Uberti 94 sporting rifle? I really like the look of the rifle version
and am thinking of getting one ,
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Uberti 94 sporting rifle

Post by gamekeeper »

I haven't seen much about the Uberti 94, must investigate... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I just watched Uberti's video on the rifle version with octagon barrel which is available in 38-55 .Looks pretty close to original ,the frame detail cuts are not dead ringer for the early rifles .Receiver looks more closely to later post 64 rifles.

@$1324 it would have to be perfect rendition and one I planned on hard use because your tapping into what original clean condition rifles can be had for.
Its hard to find reasonable prices 38-55 octagon so this will be popular.

I would want blued receiver though,looks like they are cyanide case hardened.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just adopted the Cimarron/Uberti 94 in .38-55, with 26-inch octagon barrel. I may have a chance to shoot it today and will report. The action is extremely smooth, the hammer simply floats like butter to half cock and full cock and the trigger break is wonderfully clean. I am quite impressed at this stage. One of the things that encouraged me to add this rifle to my collection is that the groove diameter is .379, as God and John Marlin meant it to be. Using Starline 2.125 brass with a .380 cast 275-grain bullet from Buffalo Arms, the loaded rounds glide into the chamber.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never seen them, except in videos, but they look like a beautifully finished rifle. Much better than the last Winchester 94 I looked at. I love the cased receiver, and long octagon barrel.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 am I just adopted the Cimarron/Uberti 94 in .38-55, with 26-inch octagon barrel. I may have a chance to shoot it today and will report. The action is extremely smooth, the hammer simply floats like butter to half cock and full cock and the trigger break is wonderfully clean. I am quite impressed at this stage. One of the things that encouraged me to add this rifle to my collection is that the groove diameter is .379, as God and John Marlin meant it to be. Using Starline 2.125 brass with a .380 cast 275-grain bullet from Buffalo Arms, the loaded rounds glide into the chamber.
Looking forward to your report as I m thinking of getting one in 30/30 for next years deer season
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'm very interested as well. the 38-55 is legal to hunt with here in Ohio . that in itself warrants Me to buy one . I had an original and it was well worn and getting loose so it went down the road........ just be aware that some members of the forum may write your name down in their little black book and strike a line thru it (like in the Quiet Man ) for owning a foreign made gun. I have many but don't talk about them here .............................................. :o :shock: .................. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 pm I'm very interested as well. the 38-55 is legal to hunt with here in Ohio . that in itself warrants Me to buy one . I had an original and it was well worn and getting loose so it went down the road........ just be aware that some members of the forum may write your name down in their little black book and strike a line thru it (like in the Quiet Man ) for owning a foreign made gun. I have many but don't talk about them here .............................................. :o :shock: .................. :lol:
Ha! I was lurking! Why sure..it makes ZERO sense to buy foreign stuff that's equal to the Covid vaccine....unproven but well advertised........there's a lot of Winchester commemoratives out there in 38-55 that sell for less of what a foreign rifle that has little to no feedback for quality. I have a very nice original 1894 in 38-55 that's going to the auction house this year and I'll be expecting around 2 for it and with originals you get your money+ money back when you sell it.......it's called "appreciation" of a not to be made again real gun.

What some less experienced shooters don't know is that modern rifles in 38-55 are tight chambered and will not accept the proper sized cast lead bullet.....at least the half dozen I've worked with were. But if your happy with shooting jacketed bullets at a buck or two apiece don't let me stand in your way.......I still have my 8th grade lunch money......

Hey 45 Colt....I have foreign guns....a Chinese and a Russian SKS and 3 Uzi Model A's..... :D Hey, I'm not B.B. with the foreign guns, I'm just letting people know there are alternatives for a better gun at equal or near equal prices. There's a lot of foreign guns that are excellent...it's just that none of them come with a lever.....------006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, the initial outing did not go smoothly. For whatever reason, my new 1894 did not like the 275-grain bullets over 25 grains of H-4895. At 50 yards, they were keyholing. These bullets are .380, and my groove diameter is .379, so I expected decent performance. I did not have my chronograph, so I can't give a muzzle velocity, but it may not have been enough to stabilize these heavy-for-caliber slugs -- or they may be too soft for the Ubertichester. The H&R Target Classic likes them, though. As an official gun crank since childhood, "I love a mystery." :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bill,
The "all time" load for the 38-55 is 9 grains of Unique, loose in the case. This load works the same as 11 gr. of Unique with any grain bullet in the 45-70.....if it won't shoot these loads, it won't shoot nothing.....my original 1894's are 1-18 and the 1893 Marlin is 1-20 and if these guns will shoot out to 300 meters with light loads and a 270 gr gas check your load will more than suffice for proper spin.

I use a 270 gr bullet in all of my 38-55's......your load sounds very reasonable and while I'm in the minority, I've never had much luck with 4198 in the dash numbered calibers but your choice of powder won't make it keyhole.....keyholing comes from a bad crown, considerably undersized bullet or improper twist which I'm sure you don't have.....When you slugged it, was the "push" uniform throughout the length of the barrel? I've seen barrels that "funneled" out towards the muzzle and these will keyhole a bullet. Try tapping a soft lead bullet say...1/8" into the muzzle, into the rifling and see what you get. You might have to use a pair of pliers to eeeeaaaaasssee it out.

If it is a funneled muzzle, its hopeless but I can't see that happening with today's button rifling process....if that's what they use. If what I said above is all there then there's a measuring issue your having with your micrometer......-----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, thanks. I will try that load of Unique and report.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm also looking forward to your report. Although at present my fun money is waiting for my custom Henry from Uberti... about 4 more months to go...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bill , I sure Hope you get it sorted out. I'll sell My last Winchester to get that one.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm also hopeful that your new Uberti 1894 has a better 2nd outing at the range. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The guys on the .38-55 FB page say the 1:18 twist in the Uberti (and the original, I believe) may be too slow to stabilize a 275-grain bullet. I will shoot a few more over 9 grains of Unique and see what happens.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I just read an article on the Uberti 94 in 38/55 written by Mike Venturino and he was shooting a hand load of 19 grains of western 5744 with a .380 cast bullet from an old RCBS # 38-255-FN