Brutus

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Brutus

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well as of this afternoon it appears Brutus ( my Parker hammer 8 gauge) is going to have a brother ! Made a deal with a dealer today for a circa 1908 Parker PH 8 gauge on a #6 frame with 34” barrels . So if this one looks okay when it arrives I’ll have Parker hammer and hammerless 8 gauge guns . Interestingly this PH gun was ordered by a lumber company in the pan handle of Florida and special instructions at the time of ordering was for the gun to shoot buckshot close . So I “assume” the gun may have been ordered for bruins in the Florida pan handle back before the depression . Pictures will follow once it’s in my hands .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Brutus

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations ". Once again " can't wait to see the photos... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh boy! Can't wait to see BRUINTUS! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is another Brutus, which sharing the name of your 8 gauge is probably appropriate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brutus
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:28 am Oh boy! Can't wait to see BRUINTUS! :D
I tried down loading pictures from the sellers site , but it doesn’t seem to be doing exactly right . Thing is being shipped today Fredric or SUpS so “should be here by Thursday of next week I’d think .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We'll be waiting, maybe patiently maybe not! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I already knew about Big Brutus as it's only about 50 miles from here. I've taken the grandkids to see it. You go underneath, climb a ladder to the generator floor and can go up to the operators station. Unbelievably huge. But then an 8 gauge is huge.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:19 pm We'll be waiting, maybe patiently maybe not! :D
I got the tracking stuff from UPS and they’re saying it should arrive Monday .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Finally figured out how to download the pictures from the sellers website .
C22159B__28563.1546999878.jpg
Obviousely I didn't figure it out as I only got one :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just checked tracking and unless I'm mistaken it's in Richmond VA already so I would assume it should arrive in Charlottesville VA atleast by early AM monday morning and be on the truck for delivery monday as it was sent to me to arrive in three buisness days or less .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Although I use a .410 probably a lot more than the bigger gauges I believe that the statement below is correct... :D
qaex-30-funny-as-bang-pictures-with-well-guns-basically-image-20-2058078116.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm Although I use a .410 probably a lot more than the bigger gauges I believe that the statement below is correct... :D
qaex-30-funny-as-bang-pictures-with-well-guns-basically-image-20-2058078116.jpg
I’m not adverse to any of the shotgun target games using any gauge to shoot them . However skeet doubles with my hammer 8 is something else , popping the first bird is no problem however stopping restarting and shooting the second bird is challenging .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well Brutus II arrived today and it was a bit better than I anticipated . It does have some fine putting on the top of the action in the lever area and there is a wood patch in the end of the forend but it seems okay and I fired it down they the woods twice .
DA30F1C3-F21B-4A01-B83B-EE1B08B1CD8E.jpeg
369A36F3-7F49-450C-881A-CFFD05EDF190.jpeg
3180917C-CB18-4BB7-B81E-52AF961EF030.jpeg
FAA76EA7-EE27-4CE1-AD47-CE5F13C8D2E8.jpeg
2EFEDC1F-C330-4A57-801D-C2246366B1CF.jpeg
DCB22227-EC29-43F3-8004-5B4FBD759E10.jpeg
4DAF7DEA-07B3-4ED5-B911-D0D1662CC542.jpeg
A5029975-FE43-4630-A6F2-31E60AAE5485.jpeg
AF072DA0-DE00-4BD5-9257-CA15D58C3ACC.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here are two pictures of a store token from the Geo. E. Wood Lumber Company of Caryville FL .
69430F50-373D-46F6-9513-39D6761F78F0.jpeg
6CC56B0C-A720-4B2D-A848-336E6A669531.jpeg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice, I envy you your wonderful Parker collection... :mrgreen:

Cool token too... 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 pm Very nice, I envy you your wonderful Parker collection... :mrgreen:

Cool token too... 8)
Thank you sir ! I didn’t purchase the token I just found it via google search .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy that wood is dark! Is it as plain as I suspect? It certainly has seen use but I'm sure it's plenty tight. Now to the pattern board- chop chop! :D really curious about the 'buckshot up close' choke turns out to be?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:56 am Boy that wood is dark! Is it as plain as I suspect? It certainly has seen use but I'm sure it's plenty tight. Now to the pattern board- chop chop! :D really curious about the 'buckshot up close' choke turns out to be?
They used the term close to mean tight .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just got home from the club . I shot 25 shots on the skeet field from station 4 with me stepping on the pickle and broke 22 . Then i shot two rounds of 20 gauge as the rest of the crowd arrived . So for a fourth round I shot a normal round of skeet and shot a 22 with Brutus II , I’d have been happy with that except one of the three I missed was low 7 . Anyway some more skeet with this bird is in order .
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Glad you're having fun with them. Must be a challenge to swing all that weight but then following through would be easy.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 pm Glad you're having fun with them. Must be a challenge to swing all that weight but then following through would be easy.
This hammerless gun points a heck of a lot better for me than the hammer gun . Bit less drop in the stock and somewhat lighter . This hammerless gun is 34” and my hammer gun is 36” you can notice the weight out front I think . Also the hammerless is on the lighter #6 frame and my hammer one is on a #7 frame . Yes follow thru is relatively easy with both these guns . But changing direction for skeet doubles is a little slow or sluggish . I never thought I’d see the day when I would say a 1 3/4 ounce load was a Pleasent TARGET load :shock:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like great fun. Be sure to lay in plenty of black powder or are you shooting smokeless?

I need to find some bass shells for my 16. Haven't even looked to see what's available. I have 8 or 10 boxes of brass for 12 and really enjoy it. I've no idea if I'll ever get to burn powder again. Just made a date with the radiation doctor but I may turn it down.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm Sounds like great fun. Be sure to lay in plenty of black powder or are you shooting smokeless?

I need to find some bass shells for my 16. Haven't even looked to see what's available. I have 8 or 10 boxes of brass for 12 and really enjoy it. I've no idea if I'll ever get to burn powder again. Just made a date with the radiation doctor but I may turn it down.
No I don’t shoot black in the double barrels . I know quite a few that load black for some of the English and European doubles that do so but in plastic . I think your best course of action with the radiation treatment is to remain POSITIVE ! My mom fought the good fight for six or seven years and went into remission three times , I truely believe if she hadn’t been so positive she would have succumbed much earlier . Prayers and best wishes !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:01 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm Sounds like great fun. Be sure to lay in plenty of black powder or are you shooting smokeless?

No I don’t shoot black in the double barrels . I know quite a few that load black for some of the English and European doubles that do so but in plastic . I think your best course of action with the radiation treatment is to remain POSITIVE ! My mom fought the good fight for six or seven years and went into remission three times , I truely believe if she hadn’t been so positive she would have succumbed much earlier . Prayers and best wishes !
Stay positive. A friend beat throat cancer twice and lived his life on his terms for ten years. The cancer got him the third time, but the cancer died, too.

6pt-Sika, it sounds as if your big guns work well. Hope you can have a lot of fun with them for a long time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost