Question for wood turners et al

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Question for wood turners et al

Post by Tycer »

So splitting wood I found this beautiful piece of maple from a Norway maple that was in my yard. I’d love to make some grips out of it but I’m afraid the definition will be lost. It’s such a beautiful piece of wood I’m tempted to just coat it to get the depth accentuated rather than cutting it into grips for my Blackhawk and a knife. I work with wood all the time, but not in an artistic fashion other than my craft of carpentry.

So what happens if I slice that sucker up and sand it?
729CA1B2-A902-481B-AA50-55602A17BCEE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question for wood turners et al

Post by GunnyMack »

Being maple you could get bland blonde OR ya could get birds eye OR shell flame ( fiddleback)- only 1 way to find out! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Every piece of wood is different, so you wont know till you do it. That said, the grips/scales would be gorgeous. It appears to have features of birdseye and burl figuring. I'd be slicing and dicing to get the most use from it rather than have an interesting but useless chunk of wood. But, I'm not an artist. Im sure someone could turn it into a fine sculpture. Hope to see the end result.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What GunnyMack said.

Put on your Big Boy pants and slice it up! :D

-Stretch
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Yeah, cut it up, you'll find a great pattern or have kindling. I spent a day in the Arkansas National Forest. The Cedar I was cutting splitting for the fire was cool to look at, I saved 2 big pieces to bring back. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!