Vintage guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vintage guns

Post by marlinman93 »

I think the question of "What tops the list?" is answered differently for each person. Much depends on their area of interest, so what is the holy grail for one person, may not interest another at all. And what one person considers "old" may be newer than another guy's birth date, and he might not think it's old at all.
I like seeing what everyone considers their holy grail, or old though.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

It's no secret that I love old SAAs. Especially COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTERs which is the caliber mark for 44-40. I've had the etched panel guns but I like the roll mark which started in 1890. I have 6 of them. The oldest is from 1894:
of course one needs the correct SRC to go with it:
73 SRC in 44wcf made in 1896. 5 1/2" SAA was rebuilt by colt in June of '55.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

1938 Savage 99EG in 30-30
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have another "grail gun" arriving in tomorrow's USPS mail here! I'm mostly a fan of Ballard single shot rifles, Marlin lever guns before WWI, but also Remington single shots; both Rolling Blocks, and Hepburns.
So a couple weeks ago I was contacted by an individual asking if I was interested in his Rolling Block rifle? I told him I am always interested IF they are sporting models, and not military Rollers. So he sends me a picture of both sides of the rifle, but no info. It was indeed a sporting rifle, but it was also a pistol grip Rolling Block. Something we rarely see in original old Rolling Block rifles!
So I emailed back, asking for details of the caliber, barrel length, and close up pictures of various parts of the Roller. He tells me it's a .44-77 SBN, and has a 34" barrel! I immediately went from interested to very interested! What he wanted to sell was an original Remington Creedmoor Long Range Rifle! A rifle I figured to never own since less than 300 of these were built between 1873-1878!
But then it got even more interesting. I noticed the barrel contour was full round, and the serial number is in the 1500 range! The Creedmoor Long range were almost all half octagon barrels. There are three known to be full octagon. One owned by George A. Custer, and one by Major Henry Fulton of the 1874 Creedmoor US team, and a third whereabouts unknown to me? But only two known with full round barrels besides this one!
To add to the odd Creedmoor. Custer's gun is #3300, and Fulton's gun is #3314. Both documented as having left the factory in 1874. The first catalog to list this model was 1874, but in 1873 some were made and sold to insiders who knew of the new model before it was in the 1874 catalog. This low serial number is one of those, and so far the lowest number Remington Creedmoor rifle known in existence.
So to say I'm excited is an understatement. I've been tracking it's travels, and asked the seller to pack barreled action in a separate box from the stocks to protect things. Somewhere along the way the barreled action got sidetracked! So it fell two days behind the stocks. But yesterday the stocks hit town, and the barreled action hit town today; so they caught up. I'll be picking both boxes up tomorrow morning!
Pics once it's all here, and I have a chance to examine things thoroughly!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/