The Legendary .41 Mag Colt Python by Jack Fowler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Legendary .41 Mag Colt Python by Jack Fowler

Post by JimT »

(This was written many years ago for the old Sixgunner.Com website .. Jack is an old friend of a few of us here)

The Legendary .41 Mag Colt Python
by Jack Fowler

Back in the early '70s, there was a small gun shop in a Ft. Worth suburb owned by a very talented man I will simply call "Bubba". Bubba had retired from a large defense plant as an engineer, and was a natural gunsmith. His shop thrived, and became one of my regular haunts. Bubba, and I became good friends, and often traded stuff, and swapped war stories.

One afternoon, I stopped in, and took a seat on one of the old bar stools. Bubba said hello with a mischievous grin, and took off for the back room. He returned shortly with a pistol in his hand, and offered it over the counter, looking like a cat with fresh canary breath. It was a 4" nickel finish Colt Python. I looked it over, and quickly discovered that the holes were way too big for a .357 Magnum. I flipped it over to read the barrel, and neatly roll marked on the side was ".41 Magnum". I kinda grinned, and looked to the distinctive Python muzzle for the seam of a barrel liner that would give it away. There was none. Genuinely curious now, I gave the sixgun a serious going over. The barrel showed no signs of having been re-stamped, and the caliber marking looked as factory as the rest of the gun. Even under a strong glass, the muzzle revealed no evidence of being relined.

I looked back at Bubba with a whole cloud of question marks circling over my head. He was grinning from ear to ear, and said the he had "developed a couple of things", but didn't want to spill the beans until he had explored his options with the patent office. The Python was priced way out of my league, but local peace officers, and well-heeled gun nuts had already formed a long waiting list, and Bubba was gearing up to concentrate on cranking them out.

I changed jobs, and moved, and lost touch with Bubba, his shop, and the Python. A number of years later, I noticed that the shop had closed, and Bubba had stopped being a regular at local gun shows. Then one year, I set up at a local show next to a fellow who had been a regular at Bubba's, and had even worked for him part-time for awhile. I inquired about Bubba, and he said he had been cleaned out in a divorce, and had moved off. Simply curious, I asked if he knew about the Python project, and with a roll of his eyes, he told me the following tale.

Bubba had cranked out a fair number of the Pythons. They were all nickel finish, since this was required for his secret processes. Maybe as many as a hundred, or so had been sold to an eager market. All was going well until one genius had a malfunction of some sort with his. Instead of bringing it to Bubba, he sent it to Colt for warranty repair! The scene at Colt can only be imagined. The repair dept. gets this Python, and immediately calls upstairs, complaining bitterly that it would be nice if you guys would inform us when you release a new product, since after all, we have to fix the darned things. Upstairs would then asked the man what he had been drinking for lunch, since there was no such thing as a .41 Mag Python.

At this point the repair man would call the executive's entire family lineage into question, and invite him downstairs to look at the S.O.B. for himself! After a hasty palaver, Colt called the owner of the Python, and very politely asked him where he had purchased his revolver. Mr. Genius told them he had bought it from Bubba's Gun Shop, in blank-blank Texas. Colt told Mr. Genius that they would get back to him. A week, or so later, two very legal looking gentlemen in very expensive suits stopped in to visit Bubba. They told him that they were from the firm of Cheatem, and Howe, in New York, and represented Colt Firearms. They informed him that they had just come from a very nice chat with the BATF, and that the friendly agents had agreed to let them handle the matter, if it could be resolved to their satisfaction. Their satisfaction required that Bubba provide a record of sales of all .41 Mag Pythons, and that Bubba himself forget that he had ever even dreamed of such an idea. Bubba, of course, replied "what idea?" and so ended the saga of the .41 Mag Python..almost.

Gun traders being the sort of folk they are, Bubba's sales list rounded up only a fraction of the Pythons, since a fair number had been re-sold into the "pipeline", with no records kept. Just a few years ago, many years after the saga ended, I went to visit a friend, and do some trading. he proffered a zipper bag with an evil grin that meant serious money. I unzipped the bag, and out fell a 4" Nickel Python with way too big of a hole in it. "Holy cow! a Bubba Python!" I exclaimed. He had no idea of what I was talking about, of course.

When I asked how much, he shot me an outrageous price, exclaiming how scarce they were, and how Colt had only made a limited run. I howled in protest, explaining that Colt's "limited run" amounted to exactly zero! "No sir!", he shot back, "They're in the Blue Book!". Having never looked a Python up in the Blue Book, I snatched a copy from my bag, and furiously flapped to the Colt section. Sure enough, there it was. A footnote under the values listed for Pythons stated that "a few were mfg. in .41 Magnum". Ol' Bubba's work was so good that it had fooled even the experts, who being experts, assumed they were factory production, since Colt denied ever hearing of such a thing. Roy Fjestad's sleuths had assumed the same thing, and their listing of the Bubba Pythons as Colt production had legitimized Bubba's efforts for eternity as the real deal. I consider it a fitting tribute to the man's inventive genius, and an equal tribute to the boundless egos of "gun experts" everywhere.

As an epilogue, I bought my friend's Bubba Python, and later sold it to a Ft. Worth policeman who had been looking for one. Now being one of the experts, I pointed the gun out in the Blue Book to the officer, to legitimize it's authenticity. I have handled exactly two .41 Mag Pythons; that one, and Bubba's original that he proudly showed me so many years before.

The saga was related to me second hand by the former employee of Bubba, so there is no way I would swear to it in court. Since I have not devoted my life to the study of Colt's modern firearms, they could have actually produced a limited run of .41 Mag Pythons without my knowledge. I have to doubt this, since I have been dabbling in modern, and antique firearms for most of my life, and have never heard of such a gun through any legitimate channels. So I have to offer this last paragraph as a disclaimer, just to be fair, but I am convinced that Colt wasn't producing any .41 Mag Pythons when Bubba showed me his, and his pride was a result of his hard work, not a fat checkbook, and good connections with Colt.

Besides, I like this story a whole lot better.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Legendary .41 Mag Colt Python by Jack Fowler

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now thats a Python I would buy !
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101544970
Well maybe NOT! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Great post Jim! I would like to see one of those better-fied Pythons. I have never shot a .41 Mag, and that needs to be corrected.
Maybe Ruger could do the GP100 in a 5 shot .41 Mag. Sure the Python was smoother, had a better finish, and held its value, but the GP100 is strong and affordable. 5 inch barrel and adjustable sights on it would be simply great.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm I have never shot a .41 Mag, and that needs to be corrected.
If you get down our way I would be glad to let you shoot my .41!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm Great post Jim! I would like to see one of those better-fied Pythons. I have never shot a .41 Mag, and that needs to be corrected.
Maybe Ruger could do the GP100 in a 5 shot .41 Mag. Sure the Python was smoother, had a better finish, and held its value, but the GP100 is strong and affordable. 5 inch barrel and adjustable sights on it would be simply great.
I have a 4" GP100, and I have a 4" Python. JMO, in the case my particular firearms, I feel the GP100 is the superior piece.

They shoot the same, feel the same, i.e., both are smooth as polished glass but the Python is fragile compared to the GP100.

I've had parts shoot loose from the Python, and as much as I value the Colt, it's now retired to the safe.

The Ruger remains rock-solid after thousands of rounds.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

What a great story. One of my early partners in Houston always carried a Python. I thought they were beautiful, but for street work, I thought the Smith was more rugged. Thanks for sharing.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm What a great story. One of my early partners in Houston always carried a Python. I thought they were beautiful, but for street work, I thought the Smith was more rugged. Thanks for sharing.
My Dad, who was a great Double Action Revolver man, always said the Smith's were a lot better than the Colt double actions.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I always said that Colt ought to stick to making SAAs and 1911s and Smith ought to stick to making double action revolvers. Smith semi-auto pistols in those days (models 39 and 59) left a great deal to be desired.

But in those days, you could buy a new Government Model and would have to take it to a smith or work it over yourself to make the dang thing feed. Old military 1911s were common and they had no such problems.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not much experience, but I have shot a S&W 586 at a range. Smooth action and they feel solid. They have a good reputation from what I have heard. I had a chance to buy a Python almost 30 years ago. I passed. The grip just did not feel right to me. If I would have known how much they would go up in value, I would have bought it and oiled it up, and put it away.

I like the GP100. After about 1,000 rounds they start getting very smooth. Never heard of one going bad.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
colt_saa
Levergunner

Post by colt_saa »

Jim,
Thank you very much for re-posting this

I am a 41 Magnum enthusiast and currently possess several dozen firearms in this chambering. The Python is the bottom firearm in this old 41 Magnum group photo

Nothing in my possession gets more attention than my 41 Magnum Python

I read Jack's letter more than 25 years ago as I was researching the 41 Magnum Python that was being offered to me

I foolishly did not print it off at the time

Years later the letter disappeared from the Internet

I have shot very few full Magnum rounds through my 41 Python revolver. Over the decades the Python (and most of my 41 Magnum wheel guns) have been shooting a Keith style SWC over a modest charge of 231. This is an exceptionally accurate combination for me
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you!
I visited Jack at his home a couple years ago. I need to check and see how he is doing.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Colt SAA...you need a model 58....and a few Rugers :D

Nice stuff you have.

Here's my 41 Python...you can call me Bubba. :D

Model A Uzi’s
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome reading. Thanks!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Only thing I question is why Colt or ATF would care. Rechambering firearms is and old and legitimate exercise.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've never owned a 41 Mag, but I think a Freedom Arms SA in 41 Mag would be the berries..
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's a great story! I've never shot a python before. My preference is a S&W.
I could by two Smiths for the price of one Python!
When it comes to 1911's, I'm Colt all the way!
Years ago, I owned a S&W 1911 Scandium frame commander.
I didn't shoot it to well. I didn't like the external extractor either.
Shortly after selling the Smith 1911, I found an all-steel Colt Commander that I shot well.
From there to a Colt lightweight Commander.
Johnny