Making 38-40 brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Making 38-40 brass

Post by Oldncrusty »

Has anyone necked down 44-40 brass to make 38-40? Wondering if the thin necks would be problematic. Just thinkin ahead in case I cant find the latter.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Making 38-40 brass

Post by JimT »

I blew 38-40's out to 44-40 without any problems. Never had a 38-40 so I never tried the other way, but I would give it a go and see what happens.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Get your order in now... avoid the rush when it does become available again: https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-40-brass

As I understand it... when they get "so many" back-ordered, they make a production run... But, they can't guess how many they need to make if they don't have orders...

For me... I never order less than a thousand.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

38/40 made from 44/40 is the easiest forming you'll ever do. But you make sure the mouth is perfectly round before you run the 44/40 into your 38/40 size die. The least little dent (like is so common in new brass) will result in a wrinkle. I like to do mine in the progressive press where I use the 44/40 neck expander die in station one so the neck is rounded out nicely, then the 38/40 die in station 2 and then on into the .40 Lyman "M" die. Voila!

Oh yeah, I am fond of Hornady's "One Shot" spray-on case lube and use a light application on the new brass ahead of the process. But any lube will be fine: you won't need a heavy application, or any of the "form it half-way and then re-lube" like some forming applications I have done have required.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have run 44 wcf down to 38 wcf with no problems, but Earl is right they do wrinkle fairly easy
just watch out for dented brass & feed the case to the die real easy

ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Heck I've lost .44-40 cases just sizing them to the original! They're one of the easiest cases to wrinkle the neck or case mouth if even slightly off.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:43 pm Get your order in now... avoid the rush when it does become available again: https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-40-brass

As I understand it... when they get "so many" back-ordered, they make a production run... But, they can't guess how many they need to make if they don't have orders...

For me... I never order less than a thousand.
Thanks! I've been watching, but havent checked lately.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

earlmck wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:13 pm 38/40 made from 44/40 is the easiest forming you'll ever do. But you make sure the mouth is perfectly round before you run the 44/40 into your 38/40 size die. The least little dent (like is so common in new brass) will result in a wrinkle. I like to do mine in the progressive press where I use the 44/40 neck expander die in station one so the neck is rounded out nicely, then the 38/40 die in station 2 and then on into the .40 Lyman "M" die. Voila!

Oh yeah, I am fond of Hornady's "One Shot" spray-on case lube and use a light application on the new brass ahead of the process. But any lube will be fine: you won't need a heavy application, or any of the "form it half-way and then re-lube" like some forming applications I have done have required.
Thanks a ton for the info!
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

I have been shooting and reloading the 38-40 for over 50 years and have never had a problem getting new brass to support the habit. Starline has been the best for me as I get more reloading life out of their cases. Load to sensible pressures and the cases just seem to keep going.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks everyone. I do have 100 rds so far. But it's full up with factory Winchester loads. Their days are numbered though, so I will order Starline asap.