getting my head around CFE pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

getting my head around CFE pistol

Post by mickbr »

Anyone used CFE Pistol powder fellas? Hodgon lists in 38+P, 5.5 grains behind a 158XTP getting 986fps and only 18,500psi. Also in 357mag 5.6grains gets 1107fps and 6.9 grains gets 1233fps. Thats from hodgons crazy 10" barrel statistics of course. From a lever barrel I am thinking the lesser load would still get 1200-1250fps. Full factory 357 revolver power from a lever for only 6 grains give or take is pretty economical. is this similar burn rate and performance to unique or is unique slower?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: getting my head around CFE pistol

Post by ollogger »

Never have used it , Hodgdon has a burn list from 1 - 163 cfe pistol has a burn rate on that list of
42, unique is at 32, blue dot at 48 & H110 at 63 hope that helps

ollogger
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I tried it in my 41 mag, I wasn't all that impressed by the velocity.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems to be best in small cartridges.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've loaded some 40 S&W with it, but haven't heard back from my son on whether he liked it or not... but then again, any ammo he doesn't have to load, he likes! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

I’ve tried it in a couple of different things, mediocre results so far. Need to test it more in 9mm and will also try 10mm
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I just purchased my first # of CFE Pistol the other day. It falls right in with HS 6 and Winchester Auto Comp. I am hoping to get good results with .44 SPECIAL, but with the cold temps we are having, reloading isnt much of a priority right now. Unique is 31 on the burn rate chart. CFE Pistol is 42 so CFE Pistol is SLOWER.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:16 pm I tried it in my 41 mag, I wasn't all that impressed by the velocity.
Its too fast burning for high velocities in big cases, more a mid level option. Or did you mean inconsisent velocities?
Last edited by mickbr on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Fisher-Price wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:16 pm I’ve tried it in a couple of different things, mediocre results so far. Need to test it more in 9mm and will also try 10mm
Can I ask mediocre in what way? Inconsistent velocities or not matching listed velocities? As mentioned this isnt a magnum powder for high velocities
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 pm I just purchased my first # of CFE Pistol the other day. It falls right in with HS 6 and Winchester Auto Comp. I am hoping to get good results with .44 SPECIAL, but with the cold temps we are having, reloading isnt much of a priority right now. Unique is 31 on the burn rate chart. CFE Pistol is 42 so CFE Pistol is SLOWER.
let me know how it goes for you horsesoldier03.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

mickbr wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:20 am
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:16 pm I tried it in my 41 mag, I wasn't all that impressed by the velocity.
Its too fast burning for high velocities in big cases, more a mid level option. Or did you mean inconsisent velocities?
Not high enough velocities for jacketed bullets- was looking for a deer load.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I use it a lot in 357, 38 and 44 mag for moderate loads. The recoil feels almost exactly like unique but it burns much cleaner. Even a full house 357 load of it has less felt recoil than a standard pressure 9mm. I like it for plinking loads but would not use it for hunting.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

mickbr wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:26 am
horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:26 pm I just purchased my first # of CFE Pistol the other day. It falls right in with HS 6 and Winchester Auto Comp. I am hoping to get good results with .44 SPECIAL, but with the cold temps we are having, reloading isnt much of a priority right now. Unique is 31 on the burn rate chart. CFE Pistol is 42 so CFE Pistol is SLOWER.
let me know how it goes for you horsesoldier03.
Will do. I actually only purchased this because it is the only pistol powder that has been popping up on the shelves around me. I think the W244 is a better choice, but in times like these you get what you can. I do like the data I seen for .357. It isnt a barn burner, but 125 grain runs about 1400 fps and the 140 grain is just over 1300 fps. After playing with the load data, I agree with Gunny, it looks better for the smaller calibers.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Mickbr,

I was convinced once I needed a chrono so I bought one, I think it is a very useful tool for those with the time and inclination to set it up and use it. I have gone back to old school methods. I do not care about velocity enough to care about fiddling with that chrono thingy.

So to answer your question, in the few test loads I have tried, it has performed in the middle as far as grouping goes.

And on another note, last powder shortage I bought pounds of Titegroup because it was readily available and a favorite powder for many. I have yet to find an accurate load with it in a dozen pistols and 1/2 dozen calibers.

My best results come with Unique, Red Dot and W231/HP38 for pistols.

FP
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I bought a pound last year to try but haven't loaded up any yet. I got it to try in 38 +P loads mostly. Maybe I'll get some loaded up here in a couple days.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

hondo1892 I got 2lbs sitting here myself. Hence this thread, which is about deciding whether I want to open it, or use something else :D
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Fisher-Price wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 pm Mickbr,

I was convinced once I needed a chrono so I bought one, I think it is a very useful tool for those with the time and inclination to set it up and use it. I have gone back to old school methods. I do not care about velocity enough to care about fiddling with that chrono thingy.

So to answer your question, in the few test loads I have tried, it has performed in the middle as far as grouping goes.

And on another note, last powder shortage I bought pounds of Titegroup because it was readily available and a favorite powder for many. I have yet to find an accurate load with it in a dozen pistols and 1/2 dozen calibers.

My best results come with Unique, Red Dot and W231/HP38 for pistols.

FP
Red dot is one I still havent gotten around to owning. I heard its good as its quite fluffy, takes up volume in the big cases.