Well, that was dumb! Check your inventory guys.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Well, that was dumb! Check your inventory guys.

Post by 2ndovc »

Had some time to load some .45 Auto Rim yesterday and found that I was out of .45 LSWC. I had rearranged my reloading room and accidently put a box of .45s in front of a couple boxes of .44s. I'd loaded up the last of my cast bullets for my dad before he headed back to FL. :roll:
I have plenty of jacketed .45s but don't want to use those up punching holes in paper targets. I've put together a pretty good supply of lead, molds, etc. as I'm just getting into casting but looks like I'll be starting a little sooner than I'd planned. Still need a few sizing dies and top punches.

It's going to have to warm up a little though, it's about 18 degrees in the garage right now.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Well, that was dumb! Check your inventory guys.

Post by .45colt »

Yep it's a little crunchy out there today Jason. we are getting pretty good snow off of the Lake as it's still not completely frozen. I picked up a 50,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater for the garage. it's noisy but sure beats being cold. Pilot has the best clean kerosene I have ever used.
We have just a few inches of snow on top of a lot of ice , one of the Family members (62) fell last week and broke three ribs. Gotta re-member to be careful. :shock: .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We're not nearly as cold here, but I'm still putting off casting until spring arrives. I had contemplated firing up my propane heater in the shop, and doing some casting anyway, but I guess I'm too lazy to brave it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:14 am Yep it's a little crunchy out there today Jason. we are getting pretty good snow off of the Lake as it's still not completely frozen. I picked up a 50,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater for the garage. it's noisy but sure beats being cold. Pilot has the best clean kerosene I have ever used.
We have just a few inches of snow on top of a lot of ice , one of the Family members (62) fell last week and broke three ribs. Gotta re-member to be careful. :shock: .
It always amazes me how different the weather from one end of this lake to the other. We get a little snow squall or two overnight and then the sun's out all day. Still cold as snot and I have a lot to read and watch about casting. I've tried a couple batches of .45 Colt bullets and they are improving. Usually have a round ball mold going at the same time, so it's not a complete waste of time.

jb 8)

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I prefer casting and smelting in cold weather, especially since I got some some thinsulate gloves that fit under my old foundrymans gloves. Come summer the last thing I want to do is suit up and sweat by a hot lead pot.

Eric
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I get that, but I don't do 10-15 degrees as well as I used to. Just to beat up for that anymore. I was thinking upper 40s to 50s. Warm enough w/o getting all hot and stinky. :D

jb 8)

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Was I in your shoes I'd get all of the missing pieces you need for casting ASAP. I think prices/availability is the best now we're gonna see it for the next six years. Best case. Biden hasn't even done anything yet about guns, wait'll he does.

And I'd start learning now as there is quite a bit of art involved with the science of casting.

Best of luck to ya.

Cat