Shooting glove?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Shooting glove?

Post by jnyork »

Went out to shoot my Cimarron SAA US Cavalry model a couple of days ago. Could only shoot 10 rounds, the trigger guard kept trying to mangle the back of my fingers. I can't possibly be the only person with this problem.

Any of you fellers know of a good shooting glove I should buy that has padding on the BACK of the fingers?

Thanks
JimT
Shootist

Re: Shooting glove?

Post by JimT »

Do you handload?
Load some lighter bullets at moderate velocity.
Shoot 500 or so and get your fingers used to the gun and grip.
Then start working up to heavier loads.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For some reason some people have that problem and others don't....same with the old Flattop Rugers in 44....as we are all people with fingers roughly the same size there has to be a rational reason why this happens to some but not to others.

I think your holding the gun slightly wrong....

Try gripping the gun tighter and keep your elbow "locked" with the grip frame in line with your arm.....plus, forget that one handed hold...use your support hand.....-----6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just an observation but I’ve heard this complaint most often from folks that don’t have a sufficiently secure hold on the gun. Instead of rolling in the hand the gun twists and slews around in the hand.

In effect working up is a grip strengthening exercise. While useful it should be used in conjunction with exercise with the same aim.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I think some of this issue isn't necessarily the size of the hand, but the length of reach.
Much as I love them, Colt SAAs are much too short coupled for me due to my reach. It makes them difficult for me to shoot. Same with Ruger SAS.
This makes it difficult to curl your fist tightly around the grip and have an effective shooting hold.
This is why I shoot the larger frame S&W revolvers better than most other handguns. The Colt DAs are short for me also, if the trigger is back with the hammer cooked.

Now I'm sure the problem could be somewhat fixed with some stupid looking rubber grip that spaced the hand back.......
But life is too short to look at ugly guns. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Decades ago I got a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag in a trade, and was excited to shoot it. So I rushed out and bought a couple boxes of factory Remington ammo, and headed out to shoot. First round fired left my middle finger bloodied from the squared off trigger guard! And I tried gripping it differently, and tighter, and by the 4th shot I gave up with even more bloody finger!
I shot the rest in my 629 S&W, and they still were too hot, but got them emptied. Reloaded to .44 Special levels, and took it out again. Same result, but not as bad. It hit my middle finger, but not hard enough to break the skin. But after about 20 rds. my finger was sore enough to stop.
I ended up just selling the gun, as I hated the squared off trigger guard.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yep....I keep a box of bandaids in the shooting kit.... My LCP is a vicious dog....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I shot IHMSA Revolver class for years with a Ruger 10" .44 Mag, 40 rounds for a match, full house load, never bothered me a bit. I am using a regular two-handed grip on this revolver and a firm grip. Load is 250 grain cast bullet and 11 grains of Blue Dot, supposedly equals the original U.S. Cavalry load. Maybe I'll back off a bit .

I shot my friend's LCP once, ran a mag through it, handed it back to him. MUCH too snappy. Bought Sig P238, I can shoot it all day with no problem.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1 - You're trying to use that same grip on the Colt SAA grip frame as you did on the Ruger... If you have an average sized paw, you need to grip a little lower on the frame, put the little finger UNDER the grip frame. Grip the gun with the ring and middle finger, the little finger goes under to frame and the trigger finger... well why the heck to you think it's called a trigger finger? :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I had the same problem as MM93 with my super blackhawk. Busted my finger on that square trigger guard every shot. I didn't like the looks but rubber Pachmyers made shooting it much more comfortable.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought a pair of bicycling gloves for use with my Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. They helped, but buying a Pachmayr grip did more good. Reloading it and bringing the velocity down to 1150 fps really helped.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got extremely large hands. Not fat, but very long from wrist to tips of my fingers. Others with smaller hands said it bit their finger a little, but didn't cut them open like it did mine. Regular SAA revolvers in heavy .45 Colt loads never give me any issue though, and their rounded trigger guard works great. And even with large hands I really like a SAA grip.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Baseball batting gloves and motorcross gloves often have pads on the finger tops.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

These work great for me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beretta-glock- ... Sw6zlfjOA7
Unfortunately they are no longer made and I can't find anything similar.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Custom grips works very well on my Cimarron 45 Colt. The grips have a palm swell, which helps for a steady hold.
Grips are by Outlaw Grips, Tucsom Arizona,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Black Walnut? I like the look. That palm swell on yours would work for me because I shoot with either hand.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I have extra large hands too! My single actions have thick walnut stocks on them. Out of all the single actions I've owned the original Ruger Vaquero fit my hand the best. Of course I traded that revolver for something else I don't remember. :mrgreen: