Perspective, History, Politics, and your AGE...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Perspective, History, Politics, and your AGE...

Post by AJMD429 »

If one accepts the idea that our nation was founded in 1776....

Then it is 245 years old. So.....

A 49 year old person has therefore been alive for a fifth of our nation's history,
A 62 year old person has therefore been alive for a fourth of our nation's history, and
An 82 year old person has therefore been alive for a THIRD of our nation's history...!!!

No wonder as we get older, we have far more perspective on this nation's exceptionalism than younger people do...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Perspective, History, Politics, and your AGE...

Post by gamekeeper »

I would add that older people were educated while youger people are indoctrinated.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A lot of younger people (by no means all of them) lack perspective. This is why you see so many teen suicides. They do not realize that things get better and worse as time goes on.

I think that people without some life experience tend to be easier to manipulate. Right now we have a lot of people who are afraid of the crowd, who won't call bullshit because they are afraid that they will be socially shunned. People who have been around the block tend to not care so much about such things.

Also, we have become a more secular society and young people are often not raised with any firm belief in God. My sixteen year old understands that God and family are much more important than his peers. But that pressure is still there.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am I would add that older people were educated while youger people are indoctrinated.
absolutely! great and concise. bumper sticker material. hope that doesn't offend you, it's a compliment.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Grizz wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:08 am
gamekeeper wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am I would add that older people were educated while youger people are indoctrinated.
absolutely! great and concise. bumper sticker material. hope that doesn't offend you, it's a compliment.
So true. I truly feel that my 60's high school education is worth more that a current bachelors degree. My state doesn't even require a civics class like we had to pass to get out of 9th grade. If I were a conspiracy theorist I might think it's being done on purpose to make the population more controllable. But surely they wouldn't do that? Would they?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

no kidding! it's nearly impossible to have a rational conversation with the Joannie come latelies because they ARE SO UNGROUNDED, they soar around in la-la-land with no prima facie evidence of any knowledge of any kind. this is how a herd of "college students" panicked over chalked comments on a sidewalk. which i take as prima facie evidence that the herd immunity to knowledge was applied to the skulls full of mush to produce those results. this is also how people can spend a lifetime studying the cosmos and still maintain that it has no creator, and that matter created itself! Prima facie evidence that . . , (both ways), etc.
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Well said. I've gotta remember that line.

In today's world, a student can go from kindergarten all the way through a Master's degree and not take even one course in history. Sad.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

And maybe this has something to do with it:

https://youtu.be/V9kCIs-do6U
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I had several older teachers throughout my schooling up through grade twelve. I was lucky that I received an education.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:01 pm And maybe this has something to do with it:

https://youtu.be/V9kCIs-do6U
The answer here is easy.

Life is easy. Men don't have to fight or compete to live. There's no survival mandate for anger, aggression, or survival of the fittest.

Testosterone isn't required for living in Mom's basement until you're 35. Hard work no longer makes men.

It's a simple evolutionary proof that you either use it or lose it.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I think every collage student should be forced to watch 6 hours of Don Rickle's insulting every ethnicity on the planet! If it ticks off snowflakes, so be it! :mrgreen:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I might pose another reason fewer people today understand many things. For each succeeding generation since WW II a smaller and smaller percentage of our population has been involved with defending the ideals on which it was founded.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:39 pm I might pose another reason fewer people today understand many things. For each succeeding generation since WW II a smaller and smaller percentage of our population has been involved with defending the ideals on which it was founded.
After the early '70s, the Military was all voluntary. You may draw your own conclusions. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A lot of younger people I talk to just don't care about history, or are skeptical about the history they hear about. They think what we learned was hyped up, or incorrect, so they don't want to know it. They also come off as self centered, and self indulged, and simply don't know much beyond the limited life they've lead so far.
It's sad to see such a lack of interest in many young people, and also see how easily swayed they can be these days.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

You cannot change a generation ...
BUT ...YOU CAN HELP CHANGE ONE PERSON!
Find a younger person that you can make friends with.
Make friends with them even if they don't buy your view of life.
Listen and learn what interests them.
They will eventually become interested in what interests you. Without manipulation on your part.
Take them shooting.
Show them reloading.
If they respect you, you can speak/teach some wisdom into their lives.
This is a long-term idea. Commit to it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 am A lot of younger people I talk to just don't care about history, or are skeptical about the history they hear about. They think what we learned was hyped up, or incorrect, so they don't want to know it. They also come off as self centered, and self indulged, and simply don't know much beyond the limited life they've lead so far.
It's sad to see such a lack of interest in many young people, and also see how easily swayed they can be these days.
Yet they probably went on a bike-tour of France after their sophomore year in college, so think they know all about the whole world for all time... :roll:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:05 am A lot of younger people (by no means all of them) lack perspective. This is why you see so many teen suicides. They do not realize that things get better and worse as time goes on.

I think that people without some life experience tend to be easier to manipulate. Right now we have a lot of people who are afraid of the crowd, who won't call bullshit because they are afraid that they will be socially shunned. People who have been around the block tend to not care so much about such things.

Also, we have become a more secular society and young people are often not raised with any firm belief in God. My sixteen year old understands that God and family are much more important than his peers. But that pressure is still there.
When did he get to 16? WOW! Can't believe how time has flown. Another factor implied in your comment is the importance of parenting. Not everyone teaches their children the important things in life. I'm glad to hear Jaeger is doing well. Hope to meet him one day.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:20 am You cannot change a generation ...
BUT ...YOU CAN HELP CHANGE ONE PERSON!
Find a younger person that you can make friends with.
Make friends with them even if they don't buy your view of life.
Listen and learn what interests them.
They will eventually become interested in what interests you. Without manipulation on your part.
Take them shooting.
Show them reloading.
If they respect you, you can speak/teach some wisdom into their lives.
This is a long-term idea. Commit to it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

If we truly care about the future, we'll invest in it. The impact of one caring adult in the life of a young person is impressive.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

agree. first my children, then my grandchildren, and their children, and their children's children. i tend the sheep in my tent, according to the scripture . . .

and those around me, a youth group, or a pizza delivery girl in Leander, or a translator in Mexico, or the man with the "help me" sign, or the woman in a wheelchair, asking, or a deckhand who just left in fingers in his glove, or whomsoever else will listen . . .

and perhaps the gospel to some people in some places i will never see or visit, where there is a harvest taking place, say, in the 10-40 window . . .

PrayersUP for every soul who wants to hear Truth
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

When you realise a century is just an average lifetime with a bit extra at each end
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Then there are those who just go through life oblivious to everything. They miss the sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, miracles, joy, sadness, happy times, and all that we have been given. I cannot imagine how much of a torture it would be to go through life without looking around. There are none as blind as those who choose to not see.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:15 am Then there are those who just go through life oblivious to everything. They miss the sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, miracles, joy, sadness, happy times, and all that we have been given. I cannot imagine how much of a torture it would be to go through life without looking around. There are none as blind as those who choose to not see.
Well said piller,
Too many folks are so busy doing THEIR thing they don't realise that they are standing on a wonderful planet.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:38 pm When did he get to 16? WOW! Can't believe how time has flown. Another factor implied in your comment is the importance of parenting. Not everyone teaches their children the important things in life. I'm glad to hear Jaeger is doing well. Hope to meet him one day.
Brother,

One observation I have made is that nearly all boys go through a rough spot somewhere along the way to adulthood (some never get through it) but the ones who seem to come out the best are the boys who have something in common with their fathers. I have seen it as hunting, fishing, sports or even golf. Something that they share that allows them to talk and communicate with each other.

Jaeger isn't interested in hunting and I don't have time to fish. But we do have time to listen to Bible doctrine and from an early age we did this on all of our road trips. I have CDs with a good Bible teacher and we go through the books of the Bible together. You would not believe what it has done to solidify our relationship. Sometimes, even if we are just going to the ranch, he will ask "Dad, can we listen to Bible doctrine?" I never say no. We pause to discuss words or what the writer is trying to tell us frequently.

Whenever we have a rough spot, we have that Bible doctrine to fall back on and a base to discuss from. I'm not terribly bright and I make mistakes. But this was one of the smartest things I have ever done.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Jaeger, my Dad and me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 amBrother,

One observation I have made is that nearly all boys go through a rough spot somewhere along the way to adulthood (some never get through it) but the ones who seem to come out the best are the boys who have something in common with their fathers. I have seen it as hunting, fishing, sports or even golf. Something that they share that allows them to talk and communicate with each other.

Jaeger isn't interested in hunting and I don't have time to fish. But we do have time to listen to Bible doctrine and from an early age we did this on all of our road trips. I have CDs with a good Bible teacher and we go through the books of the Bible together. You would not believe what it has done to solidify our relationship. Sometimes, even if we are just going to the ranch, he will ask "Dad, can we listen to Bible doctrine?" I never say no. We pause to discuss words or what the writer is trying to tell us frequently.

Whenever we have a rough spot, we have that Bible doctrine to fall back on and a base to discuss from. I'm not terribly bright and I make mistakes. But this was one of the smartest things I have ever done.
Yep. You sound like one of the BEST parents a kid could have.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Far from it, but I keep working on it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 am Far from it, but I keep working on it.
LOL - I'm still "practicing" medicine too.....maybe I'll get it right one of these days...

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

AMEN!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:04 am Far from it, but I keep working on it.
That's all any of us can do. It seems like just last year we were praying "for little Jaeger"... going to have to update that prayer a bit. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira