BEWARE Banking Scam

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

BEWARE Banking Scam

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I wonder if the sudden flood of phone calls has anything to do with this?

Last night we went out to dinner and I got a call that showed up on my caller ID as my bank......it wasn't.

They were warning me about seeing some fraudulent transactions in my account. Sure enough, there were attempts to transfer $500, then $300, then $100 in short order. Of course this was alarming, so to "protect" my account, the caller wanted to "help" me and he started asking, and then pressuring me to give him private information. I did not fall for it and I told him that I would go to the bank in the morning.

Shortly after that call, there were multiple attempts to pay money out of my account. Small amounts at a Chipolte in California and another restraunt in Florida. Of course, I am right here in San Antonio, Texas and I would never purchase Chipolte anyway.

So I call my bank and get everything shut down. The scary part of this was that the caller id showed that the bogus call came from my bank.

Be careful, scammers are really working at it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: BEWARE Banking Scam

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm generally wary of capital punishment, since it can be abused by rogue states, but for clearly-guilty violent criminals it makes sense, and the emotional part of me would include these scammers in the same category.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Caller ID means *nothing* anymore.

Last job I retired from, I was administrator for our Cisco phone system. I could put any number I wanted in the setting to pass on to the public phone system.

Had to call my mom a time or two from work. Knew she wouldn't recognize my desk work number. Changed software settings on my phone with my home number.

Our public phone system has become a joke for voice calls. Congress and the phone companies could fix this, if they wanted to.

So again, believe very little of what you see for Caller ID.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I ignore any, and all emails, txts, phone calls "warning" me about my financials. If a card, or institution, stops "working" I'll deal with it when it happens. I keep enough cash to tide me over a misunderstanding. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Doc......these scammers ought to be in the same category as violent criminals.........grab a few of em and lock em up for life...send a message.

It just keeps getting worse....everyday......where does it all end? Like, how much of this S are we gonna take before the ones we elected do something about it.....it's near impossible to live a stress free life even if you have everything in order and are well prepared.......there's no consequences....it's called a non violent white collar crime so they walk.....

I have a nephew (not blood!) who lives a pretty nice life scamming people and businesses.....his name is all over the courthouse records but he just keeps on doing what he does. Nice wife, four kids, very nice vehicles, in his fifties and no one has ever seen him work........

Thanks Scott for keeping up the "awareness"------6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Naw locking these vermin up will do NOTHING! Daily public hanging will send a real message! Or draw & quarter a few just to break the monotony!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:36 pm Naw locking these vermin up will do NOTHING! Daily public hanging will send a real message! Or draw & quarter a few just to break the monotony!
OK Gunny......I knew that but I was concerned "government liberals" might be watching.....I say get a few and as Elmer used to say, "show them the sixgun slug".

My wife is better at these things than I am...today, she was talking for at least 20 minutes and at the close of the conversation she said, "thank you, I'll let you know"...click
Model A Uzi’s
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Ha! I love "entertaining" those folks for as long as I can. My wife hates it because she thinks by talking to them I'm in danger. There is no danger if you understand what they are and you avoid participating.

The most valuable thing they have is time, and I steal as much of it from them as I can. Plus if they are wasting time with me they aren't assaulting someone that might be taken in . Win win.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:40 pm .....these scammers ought to be in the same category as violent criminals.........grab a few of em and lock em up for life...send a message.
Better yet...

Bring back "stocks" in the town square -- lock them in those -- and supply the townsfolk with a couple of wheelbarrows of rocks and bricks.

Then hang their shattered corpses on the light poles until even the crows won't have any interest in them.

That will do it.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's it! "Their time is the most valuable thing they have".......here, I've been hanging up on them because MY time is valuable too...but what the heck, I'm retired. Gonna try that tomorrow but I just don't have the patience my wife has so I'll pass the job to her. She does it now but I'll tell her if she does it to ALL calls, I'll go shopping with her to carry the bags, drive the Jeep, converse, you know, manly things. I'll even promise not to fanny burp while she's eating....maybe even lift the seat before I whizz.
Model A Uzi’s
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Larkbill wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:36 pm Ha! I love "entertaining" those folks for as long as I can.
Depends on my mood. I kept some Pakistani's from "Microsoft" on the line once for 15 minutes as they tried to convince me to load their special diagnostic software. I put on my best doddering old man voice to try to justify how slow my responses were. Usually, though, I have other things to mind.

I read years ago that with semi-legitimate callers, this is the best way to get off their lists, but some of these scammers are surely just calling numbers off the white pages.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've also used the toilet flush to do my talking. Another fun thing would be one of those fanny burp machines- just keep pushing the button! The best of all is the MAGIC BUTTON I got, answer the phone and push the button- blocked forever! Since I got my button the house phone rings less!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I almost think that the increase in the volume of calls I am getting might be related to a political contribution I made to the Trump campaign.

I say this because maybe 50% of the calls I get and answer, there simply is nobody to talk to. Maybe someone wants Trump supporters to get frustrated and change their phone numbers?

All of the banking problems got resolved with no problem. My bank is very good about this.