My new (1904) Winchester 94 rifle needs work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
200grshiner
Levergunner

My new (1904) Winchester 94 rifle needs work

Post by 200grshiner »

I did a quick headspace check and came up with .098. I fired the rifle prior to the check and it shot well and operated properly. I need some input from you folks. What to do? If it clearly needs work to be a shooter, I would appreciate recomendations on a good gunsmith. Thanks in advance!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: My new (1904) Winchester 94 rifle needs work

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire :D I'm sure a more knowledgeable Winchester guy will chip in with advice.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Really should use GO/ NOGO gauges. Have you measured the fired case for stretch? If the cases aren't stretching then you dont have excess head space. I don't know off hand what the rim thickness is for 30WCF case is.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi & Welcome

try the go/nogo gauge or measure case stretch before & after firing, then what i have done
is to just neck size the case & that works about the best for me, that was always with cast bullets
& psi no more than 25,000 psi, no problems

Brad
200grshiner
Levergunner

Post by 200grshiner »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am Really should use GO/ NOGO gauges. Have you measured the fired case for stretch? If the cases aren't stretching then you dont have excess head space. I don't know off hand what the rim thickness is for 30WCF case is.
By stretch we're talking about length....or about expansion? I know that "Pet Loads" always measured expansion, but, unfortunately, I loaned both copies to a friend who passed away, and knowing him I think he took them with him. And no, I do not have go, no go gauges. Actual rim thickness at the thickest point is .061 on the new case I measured, plus the distance a fired primer backed out .0375 = .0985. Max is said to be .070.
I'm going to talk to a local gunsmith tomorrow. He's new to me so we'll see.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

They don't have them in stock right now, but Wisner's sells .005, .010 & .015 oversize locking bolts for the mdl 94.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Excessive head space will stretch the case for length. This causes cases to seoerate- bad.
Expansion is normal to a point.
Gunsmith might have the gauges, not all do( unless he does new barrels) .Gauges are fairly inexpensive and a 1 time buy as they are machined , hardened steel .
I've not seen headspace figured by adding rim thickness and primer backout. Different brands of primers, heck different primers of the same lot are going to back out differently. Gauges are the way to check.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
200grshiner
Levergunner

Post by 200grshiner »

Thanks Gunny. Do any of you have a source for go nogo for Winchester .32 Special?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

200grshiner wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:24 pm Thanks Gunny. Do any of you have a source for go nogo for Winchester .32 Special?
30-30 will work
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome!
Try brownells, best source for gummsmiff stuff. Yes 30/30 gauges will work.
As Griff pointed out , oversize locking block should cure the issue if you have excessive headspace.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!