The chances are ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The chances are ....

Post by JimT »

cow.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The chances are ....

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The only thing in this world that has hurt me worse than a cow (and they did not intend to do so, it just goes along with cowboying) is a woman!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I used to think horses kicked hard but its was nothing compared to a upset off momma cow!!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Used to do work for a family that had dairy cows. One cow died in birth and the daughter hand raised the bull calf. He was very gentle but he get her into a wall or corner and practically lick the skin off her hands and face! She would beat on him, punch, kick but he just stood there licking. Was funny to see!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cows are great. They have provided me with more entertainment on my road trips than any other critter. Tho the little Burrowing Owls are as funny as all get out.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

We were banding calves and I was holding this calf, keeping his mouth shut and holding his back legs. His momma was worried and nosing around but not real upset. Then my hand slipped off the calf's mouth and he squalled. Momma hit me with the side of her head and I went across the barnyard like a bowling ball! :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:35 am We were banding calves and I was holding this calf, keeping his mouth shut and holding his back legs. His momma was worried and nosing around but not real upset. Then my hand slipped off the calf's mouth and he squalled. Momma hit me with the side of her head and I went across the barnyard like a bowling ball! :lol:
I had the same thing happen to me in Houston around 1983 in the Third Ward......wait a minute, that was not a cow!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don’t think cows are smart. Don’t think they don’t plan. A danged old Holstein waited until the timing was just right to kick me in the belly.

While no internal injuries I didn’t walk right for several weeks and the bruising took forever to fade.

Anyone who think cows don’t contemplate murder never worked on a dairy farm.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've never had much of a problem with Cattle apart from busting fences, but I have met a few obstreperous Sheep in my time.. :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Remember GK, we're talking livestock injuries here, not romance :shock:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

octagon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:21 pm Remember GK, we're talking livestock injuries here, not romance :shock:
index.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

octagon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:21 pm Remember GK, we're talking livestock injuries here, not romance :shock:
I'm English not Welsh... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Remember GK, we're talking livestock injuries here, not romance
That's funny, right there! :lol: 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now wait a minute GK, I have a lot of Ls and Ws in my names, Mister! :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One of my Dad's co-workers had a tank of pressurized ammonia in the back of his truck. I don't remember ever asking what Jim used it for. Something to do with the Natural Gas wells, I guess. Anyway, Jim had to do something on a well in a field that there was a bull in. Jim opened the gate, went in, stopped, closed the gate, and drove over to the well to do whatever it was. He parked, shut the motor off, and got out. All of a sudden, that bull took notice and came at a flat out run. Jim jumped into the back of the Company Pickup as fast as he could move, and the bull barely missed him. The dent left in the pickup box was pretty big and deep. Jim got back to his knees and grabbed the hose on the ammonia tank, pointed it at the bull, and unscrewed the valve. He gave the bull a shot of ammonia in the face. The bull let out a groaning bellow, and dropped to its knees with its head hanging down and tongue lolling out about a foot. Jim thought he had killed it. He climbed out and went about doing his job. Before he was finished, the bull sort of came to and made its way to its feet. As Jim just about hit pucker factor 9 or 10, the bull staggered off to the furthest away corner of the field. The next time Jim had to go to that same field, he parked, shut the motor off and got out. Here came that bull again. Well, sort of. About 15 or 20 feet away, the bulls bead came up as if yanked by a fast moving winch. It locked its 2 front legs and dropped its butt to the ground as it fought for its life to stop. At less than arms length it got stopped, spun like a top, and headed to the farthest corner of the pasture to stay until Jim left. That got repeated every few months for several years. I guess the bull did not want a second facefull of that ammonia.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As a newly minted farrier, I got a job at a local, big name entertainment venue. They used clydesdales to draw their carriages and stages... usually in pairs or a four-up hitch. We used a rubber coated shoe to give traction and cushion to their hooves. We scheduled them to be shod in halves. I could do about 4 halves in a day. 5 was pushing the work schedules of the horses. Anyway, I had done 4, and the barn manager came asking if I could fit in "Black Jack" as he'd thrown a hind a few days before his regular scheduled re-shoein'. So here I was late in the afternoon, in the barn by myself, "Jack" crosstied to the wall (consisted on 2x6x laid flat and stacked up about 9 feet. I'd trimmed and shod the left hind and having finishing the trimming of the right and the last thing I remember was checking how much I needed to open the shoe. It seemed that after I hadn't returned Jack for about a half hour past my allotted 45 minute window, they came looking for Jack and found me slumped down against the wall Jack was tied to. I can only guess that Jack got tired standing on that one hind foot and cocked his leg to put that foot down. Throwing me backwards where I slammed into the aforementioned very SOLID wall.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

It's not the cows you have to worry about...it's the lone bull my FIL used to keep around that kept the cows happy....the bull must have done a great job as no cow ever chased me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay Bird....the bull didn't like you because you kept trying to milk it......----2
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

roflmao!!!!! :lol: First thought in my mind of his post before I even saw your reply
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Been around cattle all my life dairy for 19 years and beef ever since. Got some scars worst was dislocated shoulder and busted up toes, both from Holsteins. Best advice I got from my grandpa years ago never trust them but treat them nice and they'll usually return the same and the biggest one never go in the pasture or pens WITHITHOUT a stick or cane. He always drilled that into everyone always said "at least you can hit them away long enough to get the hell out of there if thing go bad". Good advice.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:16 pm
You guys are baaadd. I guess I am too, because I laughed then sent it to my friend in Nebraska who likes those joke so much we call him Sheepman.
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Larkbill wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:36 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:16 pm
You guys are baaadd. I guess I am too, because I laughed then sent it to my friend in Nebraska who likes those joke so much we call him Sheepman.
I should resent that joke even more as the sheep I was referring to were all RAMS..... :lol:

Which reminds me of a joke about a Officer in the Indian army : Did you hear about Caruthers ? he was kicked out of the army for making love to a monkey, good lord, was it a female monkey ?, of course, nothing queer about Caruthers....
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As a high-school scientist/chemist/delinquent, I was once distilling household ammonia to get a 'strong base' to use as titrating agent against some potassium phosphate for a buffer solution for a science project involving tentacle regeneration in hydra versus variations in electrolyte concentration (won fourth place in the World Science Fair in 1972 or so, and got a signed book from Isaac Asimov as a prize) :mrgreen: Anyway, the 'stopper' popped off just as I was 'sniffing for leaks', and I swear you could drive an F-150 up either nostril and out the other for a week after that....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

GK that monkey joke is hilarious, your a heck of a good sport.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by piller »

Beware the sheepherder wearing velcro gloves!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Actually my one encounter with a "dangerous" bull was quite a non event. I was little, maybe 5 or 6 and I wandered down to a pin that had only one "cow" in it. I climbed on the fence and the "cow" walked on over. So I started petting it. All of a sudden the Swede, never did know his name, runs up, snatches me off the fence and wacks the bull with a hunk of lumber. Seems it was notorious for trying to hurt people. I still think it was just misunderstood. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:35 pm As a high-school scientist/chemist/delinquent, I was once distilling household ammonia to get a 'strong base' to use as titrating agent against some potassium phosphate for a buffer solution for a science project involving tentacle regeneration in hydra versus variations in electrolyte concentration (won fourth place in the World Science Fair in 1972 or so, and got a signed book from Isaac Asimov as a prize) :mrgreen: Anyway, the 'stopper' popped off just as I was 'sniffing for leaks', and I swear you could drive an F-150 up either nostril and out the other for a week after that....!
Went down in an ammonia spill from a tanker truck in Spain in '75. Almost killed two of us. Let me tell you anhydrous ammonia will turn you red as a lobster for weeks. How we ended up not blind is a wonder.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"