Sometimes You Do It Wrong

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Sometimes You Do It Wrong

Post by JimT »

Many years ago I was young and had been hunting with a handgun for quite a few years and I figured I was on top of the game. This particular deer season I was hunting in the Peppersauce Canyon area on the back side of Mt. Lemmon in Arizona. The hills and canyons were steep but I was young and felt strong and would hunt all day, stalking likely places for deer.

I came out of the bottom of a draw and saw a likely place for deer. It was a clearing that ran up the mountainside above me, steep, but covered in fairly deep grass. It was roughly a couple hundred yards wide and ran up the mountain for more than a quarter mile. There was one tree in the clearing about 3/4 the way to the top. I started up the edge of the clearing, going slow with my favorite old .45 Ruger in hand. I worked my way up for 20 minutes or so when at the top of the clearing two rifle hunters banged, clattered and talked loudly as they crossed over into the trees on the other side.

Disgusted at their noise and the fact they didn't bust any deer out ahead of them, I put the sixgun in my shoulder holster and walked fairly fast on up the edge of the clearing toward the lone tree, figuring to cross over the top and head back toward my truck. When I got within 10 feet of the tree a huge Whitetail buck materialized right in front of me! He did the front legs stretched out .. back legs stretched out .. coming up off the ground what looked like 10 feet into the air. I jerked the .45 out of the shoulder holster and emptied the cylinder at him without ever aiming. He ran off laughing into the trees on the other side of the clearing while I stood there with an empty gun and a stupid look on my face.

Sometimes you do it all wrong.

I learned from that episode. I learned that I was over-confident and that when you are surprised, FIND THE FRONT SIGHT! While I have made other mistakes over the years I never made that one again. It served me well. When I was hunting in Tennesseea few years ago, I was taking pictures of hogs running through the weeds out ahead me 25 or 30 yards away. I could see ears and tails was all. I heard a noise and looking through the viewfinder here comes a hot directly at me just a few feet away! I snapped the picture, pulled the .41 Magnum from the shoulder holster and shot it in the top of the head at couple feet from me.

Sometimes you do it right.

Coming at me.

A couple seconds later.

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Sometimes You Do It Wrong

Post by piller »

You learned from a mistake. Nothing wrong with that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

A bed of coals for that hog and cold root beer sounds real good right now.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 pm A bed of coals for that hog and cold root beer sounds real good right now.
That hog was one of the best tasting that I have ever taken. There was an apple orchard on the place where I shot it and I believe that helped!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:44 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 pm A bed of coals for that hog and cold root beer sounds real good right now.
That hog was one of the best tasting that I have ever taken. There was an apple orchard on the place where I shot it and I believe that helped!
A steady diet of good food makes a tasty hog.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Great pictures and good shooting. Snap shooting pigs in thick cover reminds me of quail hunting a bit. The front sight advice is some I'll try and remember, going to hunt pigs with 44 mag ruger this year and have not got a pig with it this year yet.