480 ruger gunsmithing question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

480 ruger gunsmithing question

Post by mickbr »

Can any knowledgeable folks advise whether it is possible to convert a Rossi 92 to 480 ruger? I know Rossi did a limited run of them, question is whether things were done during manufacture that a gunsmith cant duplicate afterwards. Other thing is cost, I know coming from a big game rifle background a lifetime ago, custom work aint cheap. Bighorn armory does the 475 linebaugh which will also run the 480 ruger. $3700 though, is there room to come under that cost with a custom rossi 92, or is the whole thing too much hassle. Id only be running it low pressure for the record, like an oversized 45 colt.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: 480 ruger gunsmithing question

Post by piller »

Cannot do it right now, but I will get my caliper and measure my Rossi .480 later this evening.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You might be able to find an original for sale on auction for a lot less than the BHA at $3700. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Piller, thankyou!

Tutt, yes probably would come in cheaper the issue would be when they came up. Also Id guess if they had a 20" barrel, I prefer longer.

This is all probably armchair musings by me anyhow, but who knows if someone said its doable and its doable today for well under 3k I might consider it. I promised myself one bigbore lever.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yes, it "CAN" be done, but carefully...

And although You intend to shoot only Low Pressure loads in it (?), you're not going to live forever, and someone else is likely to end up with your cool little Rossi - someone who may not be privy to your intentions..

If ".r80 Ruger" is marked anywhere on it, it had better be capable of handling any conceivable .480 ammunition.

There may never be a problem, down the road, but you always haveto consider the flies in the buttermilk..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I understand the need for a longer barrel. My 454 Puma is 20 inches, and it seems sufficient for about anything I want to do with it with the addition of a rear aperture sight in 3 sizes and a fiber optic one up front. The 16" variety of same is more packable (my friend has one) but less sight radius, muzzle velocity was surprisingly close though with Hornady 300 XTP Mag factory ammo as well as my Lil' Gun handloads with the same bullet (although my handloads chronographed way better statistically speaking). Depending on the cost of an original 480 Puma, re-barreling it would seem to be a lot easier task then converting a regular Puma of some unknown caliber into 480 but I am not sure. I'm hoping soon that Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones sees your post, he will know better. Supposedly some of the 454 Puma parts like the bolt are hardened, perhaps the receiver IDK, but I suspect the same 480 parts are too in a Rossi.

Another expert who occasionally posts here is "Buck Elliot" who made an early prototype of a 454 levergun that almost made it into production many years ago, but sadly the deal fell through. You might want to PM both him and Nate KJ to see what they say.

If you were going to go to the trouble of a custom conversion, a 475 Linebaugh conversion would not seem like much of monetary stretch from what you are considering and would increase the gun's value and versatility I would think. But maybe a Rossi Puma '92 action can't handle the larger case head thrust of the 475 L no matter what you do to it.

I wish Dick Casull was still around, he could design parts and guns in his head, make blue prints, make the parts in his machine shop (the last two not necessarily in that order, I am not sure) and harden metal parts in his sleep. He hardened parts all the time, It was easy for him. He converted a handful of Browning '86 leverguns into 454 Casull in his lifetime as well as the proto-type Colt SA that led to the Freedom Arms 454 revolvers with Wayne Baker. Dick was a whole generation ahead of his time.

Not sure the 480 would interest him that much, the 475 L I'm sure he was well aware of but I don't know how he felt about it although it might be the best cartridge that Linebaugh came up with. I'm guessing Dick thought it was OK though. 8)

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Buck beat me by 30 minutes LOL. Guess we were both writing at the same time. Yeah, I know, I'm slow to write. Always a pleasure Buck! -Tutt

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks fellas. Tutt, I considered the 475 LB but being this is for reduced loads Id like the least capacity possible. As to future use, good point Buck, it could be stamped 480 ruger reduced or simiilar. If they want to blow it up after that , they are in the same category of folks putting hot loads in olf 45-70-trapdoors. Do you know the ins and outs of this conversion, what would be involved. Rebarrel, bolt face work etc, widening this and that? I am not a gunsmith so if anyone can take an educated guess it would be great.

I asked some fellas I know into the African rifle scene too as they use their own custom smiths. Not sure if they take on lever actions, they prefer those wierd side levers. I remember in the day there were fellas doing 50 alaskans,but not sure who.

Will send an email to Steve, I have a feeling he may run a mile :) I know how gunsmiths view some crazy ideas.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Well the things you learn. Apparently a more common conversion is 50AE on a 94 action! Anyone run into one of these? Donor calibre is 44 mag as it has similar rim dimensions. Not chasing this calibre, just found it interesting.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Puzzled, '94 action designed for lower pressure rifle cartridges. It couldn't handle the 454 Casull pistol cartridge without breaking up. Not sure the 50 AE. I would just go with a proper 45-70 chambered levergun, choose your pressure level, and call it a day. If you can find a proper 480 Rossi in good shape, buy it, and have Steve slick it up. -Tutt

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I think they get away with it as 50AE is only moderate pressures, 32-40kpsi vs 48 for the 480ruger and 65 for the 454.
just found a thread on it here from way back in 2008. Id assume this fella is no longer in production as not many internent references to his conversions since then.

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?t=7260

45-70, 450, 500 S&w all more simple options yep, but if you want lightest actions and minimal powder shifting around behind low powered cast bullets, the smaller cases have some merit. Realistically this is a project for when the world re-starts. Something to think about for later.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The original article doesn't open for me, but if its referring to Ben Forkin, he is still working some. I spoke to him a few months ago. He's finishing up a few projects for McPherson. Nice man. -Tutt