.357 Magnum Carbine article

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.357 Magnum Carbine article

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

If you have not read this, you should.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-357 ... perfected/
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .357 Magnum Carbine article

Post by mickbr »

Good article Scott. I particulary like the bit about effective range. Most articles and google call it a 100 yard cartridge. I was talking to a sales guy at the LGS the other day who declared it was only a 50 yard cartridge(!) If you can find an accurate load it can do a lot better than that.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have one of the Henry brass-colored Big Boy .357s that was gifted to me. I don't really care for it. It's akin to putting up a fence post to one's shoulder. But, it was a gift and it would be insulting to the buddy that gave it to me.
Henry's iron short rifle is the berries and if I get another .357 rifle I think that would be the one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine, you probably shot my Win94 357 Carbine out at the spot. I recall that is likes the white box 125gr, have you tried it in your Henry?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:18 pm Blaine, you probably shot my Win94 357 Carbine out at the spot. I recall that is likes the white box 125gr, have you tried it in your Henry?
It was a real nice one.
My Henry isn't inaccurate, just an unwieldy, too heavy, too long kind of thing. The LOP was way too much, The curved metal buttplate is slippery. :roll:
"Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play"? :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

50 yard??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have seen guys shooting a Model 19, or other such accurate pistol, and hitting 6 inches or better at 100 yards totally offhand. No rest, no brace, nothing. A good carbine should be good for 100 to 150 yards for anyone who is a decent shot. I am not good enough to push a .357 to 200 yards.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:11 pm 50 yard??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have seen guys shooting a Model 19, or other such accurate pistol, and hitting 6 inches or better at 100 yards totally offhand. No rest, no brace, nothing. A good carbine should be good for 100 to 150 yards for anyone who is a decent shot. I am not good enough to push a .357 to 200 yards.
When I was shooting lots more, I could hit or scare the heck out of pop cans out that far.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .357 will do it. Too many people thing the whiz bang super speed rifle cartridges are needed to reach to 200 yards or more. Elmer Keith was seen by many to regularly prove that a revolver can reach 200 yards and lots more.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

22lr will penetrate a ham at 400 yards... it's not a question of what it might do at 200 yards, for me it's a question of what I want to see it do. so, from my redhawk a 420 Gr cast bullet will penetrate firewood like a 45/70. it will penetrate twelve 1-gallon jugs of water at abt 1020fps. from the hand gun. so then, for me, the question is this: what will the same load do from a carbine at 200 yards. I want the 50 yard performance of my load from my hand gut at the 200 yard distance, or rather I want to find out what distance I can expect 50 yard pistol performance from my carbine.

in context, I can shoot 200gr 357 from my 4" model 66 and get the performance I want to see past 50 yards. so, what is the distance from the Win94 carbine that will give me the same results as the same load from the revolver? That would be my preferred limit for hunting.

shooting rocks and lucky laguar cans? it's open season and no restrictions.....

the way I compare these numbers is with the TKO calculator

https://n4lcd.com/calc/

so I can find out for sure at what range from the carbine I will get the same performance as 10 yards from the revolver, stuff like that... if the M94 won't get me the performance I want at the range the food is hanging out, then of course the PTI-91 762 with BDC scope attached is the next step up . . .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

7.62 NATO can do a fine job on anything I have ever hunted.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm 7.62 NATO can do a fine job on anything I have ever hunted.
it's a good fallback option :lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I still have my old Marlin 1894CS that I've had and used for years.

I used to switch back and forth between the Marlin and my Model 94 Trapper as my 'truck gun."

Inside of 100yds you couldn't tell the difference between the two. Past 100yds the .30-30 had the edge.

My Marlin .357 always favored the factory AE 158gr JSP. I chrono'd it at 1800fps out of that 18.5' barrel as I recall.

A great little carbine.

:)
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

158 grains at 1800 fps sounds like it would do all that Texas could need in the area I live in. Out West where there is a lot of prairie, you might need to reach out 200 yards or more.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have a newer Rossi .357 Trapper, 16". Looks fine and shoots great right out of the box. It is definitely a favorite. Check Ballistics by the Inch for velocities from various .357 barrel lengths. In fact that is a picture of it below.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Something interesting about John Taylors formula . It gets used for a lot of things these days. Originally he designed it for solid bullets head shooting elephant back in the safari days. He said near misses to the brain with some calibres would put the animal asleep for a while and the bigger the number the better. He had a rating of 5 minutes knockout for 470nitro, I think the 577 and 600 nitro would knock the animal out a half hour according to him. It was sort of debunked when fellas started hunting africa again in large numbers, head shooting elephant and not a lot of 'knockouts' like Taylor claimed, the elephant usually dropped dead or ran. No one can figure out what went wrong with his claims or whether we are intepreting what he wrote correctly. Since everything else he wrote was top notch. But anyway, it seems to apply to other things pretty well.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I've been very happy with mine.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm 158 grains at 1800 fps sounds like it would do all that Texas could need in the area I live in. Out West where there is a lot of prairie, you might need to reach out 200 yards or more.
I loaded my 45-70 with 300s for hunting. At about 1900 fps it dropped about 11 inches at 200 yards. Just about where the bottom duplex was on my scout scope. Yeah, that one kicked a bit. :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:26 am If you have not read this, you should.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-357 ... perfected/
Thank you Scott. That old rifle went to an Amish family and has now become their 'kid' deer gun.

For those of you who have read and left comments on The Sixgun Journal-

To filter the inevitable spambots and internet fools, we set up Visitor Comments to be approved before they are displayed. I check that a couple of times a day, approve nearly all and reply to most of them. Just yesterday we discovered Comments aren't displaying properly. The theme apparently did not keep up with web browser advancements and will be changed. Please bear with us. We appreciate the good folks who still visit there and we appreciate your input.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.