Duplicating Buffalo Bore loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Duplicating Buffalo Bore loads

Post by wvfarrier »

This video was very interesting.  He duplicated the Buffalo Bore 180 grain 357 mag woods load.   I was shocked by the huge Standard Deviation on "factory ammo".  BBs load is .8 grains above Hodgens listed max for Lil Gun.

https://youtu.be/imcKcKxI6DU
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Duplicating Buffalo Bore loads

Post by piller »

In the strong actions, for example 586/686 or GP100, it probably is well within the margin of safety. Older or weaker actions might loosen up too fast with it. Just my opinion. I would be cautious, but I would never have invented the .44 Magnum. Too much caution.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That load is a dandy in a Rossi 92.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 92 is a strong action, way stronger than a .357 or .44 Magnum requires. Once I am working again, I plan on saving up for a model 92 in .357 Magnum. That will make a good handful of pistol/rifle combinations with the same cartridge. .22 lr up to something that spits 410 grain bullets out around 900 fps in the pistol and 1100 fps in the carbine. The .357 would be just about in the middle.
D. Brian Casady
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 pm That will make a good handful of pistol/rifle combinations with the same cartridge. .22 lr up to something that spits 410 grain bullets out around 900 fps in the pistol and 1100 fps in the carbine.
Piller, tell me more about this load :D I have some 250gr cast I need to load and try.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

At what point does velocity and knock down power trump accuracy? I've never understood the many people I see attempting to wring out every bit of velocity and pressure a gun can handle? Especially so when a little less power is usually more accurate, and the game is just as dead when hit with it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:12 am
piller wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:43 pm That will make a good handful of pistol/rifle combinations with the same cartridge. .22 lr up to something that spits 410 grain bullets out around 900 fps in the pistol and 1100 fps in the carbine.
Piller, tell me more about this load :D I have some 250gr cast I need to load and try.
.480 Ruger with a 410 grain LBT style bullet in Wide Flat Nose. Can be run a little faster, but 900 fps in the revolver gives best accuracy for me. I use H110/W296, but the L'il Gun gives more velocity while losing accuracy and producing a lot more heat.
D. Brian Casady
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

14.7 grains of LG is the most accurate for me under the LBT 180 WFN. I also found that velocity dropped off after 15 grains on my chrony chart.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i don't know if this is a fact, but i seem to recall that maybe some BB loads have duplex powder charges. or not, idk...

I've shot a BTB 180gr 357 load from my 94 and from my daughter's snub smith. could easily harvest deer with the snubby. Blaine hit the gong with it, no problemo. He's a good shot. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Duplex loads are not something I have messed with. I understand the principle, but I am somewhat concerned with my ability to put it into practice while getting the volume right for a slightly compressed load to prevent powder mixing.
D. Brian Casady
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I played with both Garrett and Buffalo Bore rounds. If I need to supercharge a round, I'll get a bigger gun. I still have most of a box of Garretts in 45/70. I'm not hunting elephants and rhinos. For pretty much anything in the area's I visit the various hollow points work well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have heard of pigs getting giant sized, but the ones I have seen are well within the capabilities of most common levergun calibers. I have seen one member here take a pig with a double rifle in .405 Winchester. He did it for the fun, and not because the pig was a giant. It was somewhere around 300 pounds if memory is correct, but it was not one of those mythical 800 pounders. Using what you want for the fun of it is something that we all should do once in a while.
D. Brian Casady
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Tycer wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 pm 14.7 grains of LG is the most accurate for me under the LBT 180 WFN. I also found that velocity dropped off after 15 grains on my chrony chart.
Chronyd the 14.7 out of a 4” new model 66 this weekend. 1200+ Very accurate out of my gun. Busting clays at 75 yards. More than 50% I think were hits although just getting near them shattered them to pieces.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:03 pm At what point does velocity and knock down power trump accuracy? I've never understood the many people I see attempting to wring out every bit of velocity and pressure a gun can handle? Especially so when a little less power is usually more accurate, and the game is just as dead when hit with it.

Agreed, if I have to push the 357 hard, it is easier to reach for the 35 Remington. If that doesn't work, there is a 350 Rem Mag and a 35 whelen there too.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

buckeyeshooter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 am Agreed, if I have to push the 357 hard, it is easier to reach for the 35 Remington. If that doesn't work, there is a 350 Rem Mag and a 35 whelen there too.
I think I am seeing a pattern here.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Seriously, that Buffalo Bore load is quite accurate and useful if all you have is a .357. A 180 grain WFN at those velocities is nothing to sneeze at.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

.480 Ruger with a 410 grain LBT style bullet in Wide Flat Nose. Can be run a little faster, but 900 fps in the revolver gives best accuracy for me.
Mercy! :shock:

Can you say, "Thump?"

Yer definitely not undergunned with that load......

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If the .35 Remington is not enough, then I have one of those funny looking side levers in 30-06. For close range critters which consider me to be a potential meal, I have a Guide Gun with a Skinner sight. For occasional use, It can stand up to some pretty stout loads. Nothing over reloading manual loads for lever action firearms, but the top end of those loads would probably be rough on a Marlin style action if it were a steady diet. There are not any elephants, rhinos, or hippos in the wild near me.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Piller, the guide gun with anything over 475 Gr does not need a hot load to be a stopper if that's needed. My 525Gr load at around 1400 fps is easy shooting, easy on the gun, and far less recoil than, say, a 425Gr bullet at 1750 or higher. And the forensic damage is remarkable. My load shoots through 12 one gallon water jugs. I know I know, I'm all set for stopping charging water jugs.

But water tests, hammer tests, and TKO comparisons all concur that heavy loads do not need to be pushed anywhere near SAAMI limits to do what they do best.

I have a video that I can't put up here, but I could email you a copy maybe if your email and my email could handle the file size... or I could send it on a thumb drive. Sneaker net.

PS. I "think" that 45/70 loads have been upscaled in a 458 Win Mag for testing purposes. And I think I recall that the 458 shot at its pressure limit penetrated less than the 45/70 loads. I think. Blaine? Any recall? I think this came up somewhere in the past...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

PS. I "think" that 45/70 loads have been upscaled in a 458 Win Mag for testing purposes. And I think I recall that the 458 shot at its pressure limit penetrated less than the 45/70 loads. I think. Blaine? Any recall? I think this came up somewhere in the past...

Grizz, it might have been when I visited Randy Garrett to buy that scope, and he gifted me a box of his 525(?) Hammerheads....As you know, that round has been taken to Africa for DG and was not found wanting. I think I shot two of them in the BFR, and a couple out of the Guide Gun....Not horrible to shoot at all. My right shoulder is bad enough that I really don't want to shoot that big stuff any more.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I wonder if a man might be better off with that 180 bullet at around 1100 FPS out of a handgun and about 1400 in a levergun? You can do that with about 12 gr of 2400 and not bend anything.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I ordered a bunch of NOE 180 gr WFNGC from Montana Bullet Company. When they get here, I'll try out that 12 gr 2400 load and the 14.7 gr LG load and see what works best.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Scott, I've been shooting a Saeco 180gr gc'ed RNFP bullets I cast over 13grs of new 2400. Out of a 20" levergun its averaged 1670fps.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:39 am Scott, I've been shooting a Saeco 180gr gc'ed RNFP bullets I cast over 13grs of new 2400. Out of a 20" levergun its averaged 1670fps.
Thanks, that sounds like a real good starting place.