topic two cumpluter info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

topic two cumpluter info

Post by Grizz »

I discovered something called "foxit software" deep in the operating system files. foxit is a chinese company, wholly owned and operated by marxists, according to wiki. "what the Hey" I thinks to myself. so I run through the registry and find a dozen or more foxit items scattered throughout. which I entertained myself for an hour by rejiggering the commie software specifics. it was all pdf oriented, which is what wiki said about the software. so I blew up their presence in the registry. then I tried my pdf reader software, "Sumatra PDF", which was well and truly broken. so I uninstalled it. there was nothing in registry that connected foxit to sumatra. so now the browser is my pdf application.

then, thumbing thru the registry I found 5 folders with chinese chacters in the name space. whoda thunk it. I'm sending those off to family to decode...

anyway, if you use sumatra, know who owns it, where it comes from, and i'll keep using the VPN to obfuscate my comms...

and don't play ninja in the registry without first saving the working copy of it, and know that you can brick your compluter in the core playgrounds. fun fun fun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: topic two cumpluter info

Post by AJMD429 »

Well now THAT should scare us ALL... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like some of that pre-installed stuff that Windows does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wouldn't know where to begin on my computer? Likely I'd screw my system up, and then pray my computer guy could fix it, and not lose everything.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:12 pm I wouldn't know where to begin on my computer? Likely I'd screw my system up, and then pray my computer guy could fix it, and not lose everything.
Ditto.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 am Sounds like some of that pre-installed stuff that Windows does.
negative. it was the hidden code behind a pdf reader i had installed called sumatra.pdf.... the thing is there was no mention of sumatra in conjunction with foxit. i broke foxit in the registry to find the result, which was to break sumatra. my default pdf reader is now firefox.

I asked a couple of people what the chinese characters are, I'd like to know before i fire them... :wink:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Grizz, my Chinese wife says the first line is gibberish in Chinese and the next five are not Chinese, or at least not modern Chinese.

Thanks for the heads up on Foxit. I didn't realize it had become a Chinese operation and will remove it from my PC. If nothing else, it's gotten to be bloatware so I might as well use Acrobat. However, given it's a fairly common installation, I have to think the NSA is keeping an eye on it.

I looked briefly for information on SumatraPDF. I don't see a connection to Foxit, so I'm surprised deleting Foxit registry entries would hurt Sumatra.

Karl
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Karl, thanks for the info. I was surprised about sumatra not being connected to Foxit. It's why I dumped it. I am grateful but nervous to have chinese jibberish in the registry. I'll scrub it when I get time.

I quit acrobat because it is totally obnoxious. Just using firefox now, does a good job and doesn't do anything "extra" so far.

too stinking bothersome sometimes.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Several browsers display PDF and are what I usually use to view such. If I want to save a fill in form, though, I’ve always had to resort to a dedicated viewer. I’ll see if the latest Firefox can. If not, there are alternatives yet to Acrobat.

edit: Well looky there. The PDF viewer in the current release of the Edge browser (which is based on the Google Chrome code base) will process and save fill-in form entries.

Foxit is gone. It did have one nice feature. In a scanned image of a book or other paper document, it would OCR back to plain text for cut/paste operations. I seldom used that feature, and OCR is also available in google's "Drive," so it's not a big deal.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

edit: Well looky there. The PDF viewer in the current release of the Edge browser (which is based on the Google Chrome code base) will process and save fill-in form entries.
I've been trying to stop edge from trying to take over my world and BOOM, a reason why resistance may be futile . . . :lol: