Marlin 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bhsc70
Levergunner

Marlin 39A

Post by Bhsc70 »

I’ve opened my 39A since the early 60’s and it occasionally locks when I cock the lever. If I unscrew it and separate it it works again for awhile. Anyone else have this problem?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39A

Post by Old No7 »

There was a rather long posting about this on the Marlin Forum once... That's also happened to mine before too, and if I recall, the culprit was typically the Cartridge Cutoff Spring on the left, inside the receiver.

This is an image of the "old style" -- the newer ones have a longer tab after the screw hole:
39 Ctrg Cutoff 01.jpg

This is one example of a "bad spring" that has a slight bend up -- so that the edge of the bullet catches on the spring when the gun was cycled. My buddy had one that did this and it didn't catch when he cycled it very firmly & quick, but was always an issue when shooting with his grandkids:
39 Ctrg Cutoff bad.jpg

I'd check that spring first, to see if it needs a slight tweak (which will be a trial and error basis from where you start). Also, remove the spring (be careful not to strip the threads) and clean out any/all gunk in the recess where it sits with Q-tips and toothpicks.

Good luck.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have you tried lubricating all the contact points? A little oil on places that pivot, or make contact is usually all a 39A needs to operate smoothly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

One of the great things about the 39 is that you can easily get to the action for cleaning. That said I have had small “chips “ of brass get into little nooks and crannies.

Just a thought.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Next time it does that, just grab the back of the bolt and pull back. Works for my 39A which has that problem every so often.