Meteorite Collectors

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Meteorite Collectors

Post by Trailboss »

Around six years ago I became interested in space rocks. Now I've found what I believe is a rare one.

Titanium Meteorite, you can check it out on my YouTube page.

If you enjoy the videos, give me a thumbs up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1RvN0 ... Ybq-dcQRCw
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Meteorite Collectors

Post by gamekeeper »

I know zero about meteorites but found this fascinating. There is so much we yet have to find out about what lies beyond our world.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 am I know zero about meteorites but found this fascinating. There is so much we yet have to find out about what lies beyond our world.
I agree 100%, I consider myself a complete amateur but have been able to determine through research that this titanium meteorite likely originated from a supernova explosion of a white dwarf that was in binary rotation with a red giant. It almost certainly came from outside our solar system. Weird to even think about...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago while coyote hunting my buddy and I were calling on a large ranch in SE Colorado when I found a fairly large hunk of burnt iron. I knew what it was, we were miles in on foot and I picked it up , decided it was too heavy to carry so I dropped it hoping to get back there but never did...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's Really Cool. I'm sure it's not news to You but I saw a show on T.V. last year about King Tut and the dagger He was buried with . the Experts analyzed it and found it was made from a Meteorite at a time in history that iron or steel was hardly known. Happy New Year. :D .
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now that is quite the find! And right here in my neck of the woods. Er... "high desert" in the local terminology; "sagebrush steppe" as the ecologist would say.

If it would have been me stumbling over it I'd have just said "ouch" and left her right there and never known what I'd seen. Glad somebody found it that had a clue.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Was at lake Powell and saw a crater about 10ft across and wondered if it might have been a real small meteor strike. Was tempted to take a shovel and check things out, but it wasn't too far off a road and figured once I started digging, a ranger would drive by and I would be in deep stuff, so left it there.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:15 am Years ago while coyote hunting my buddy and I were calling on a large ranch in SE Colorado when I found a fairly large hunk of burnt iron. I knew what it was, we were miles in on foot and I picked it up , decided it was too heavy to carry so I dropped it hoping to get back there but never did...
Might want to take a trip to look for it. I understand they sell for a dollar plus per gram. Lots of grams in a heavy piece. The heavier the better :)
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thats cool for sure!! have found a few small space rocks while looking for Indian rocks
biggest was 1/4 lb. but black & magnetic, found a polished rock one time & i thought who would have dropped this rock here in the boondocks? later a old guy was showing me his collection of artifacts
he found, well he had boxes of polished rocks,so i asked him what to heck are they?
he told me they was from the gizzards of the giant birds that flew way back when & when they died
they left this pile of rocks, he also told me since i only found one rock that if i would have kicked around
i would have found more because he always did

Brad
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Ray wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:33 am I have a lump of iron that my grandfather dug up circa 1974. He was a d.o.d. civil servant and both witnessed the strike and helped extinguish the subsequent brush fire. The next day someone borrowed an army landmine detector and they were able to dig it up, still warm to the touch. About twenty years ago I took it to a rock show and was offered $800 for it by a collector. But my geologist brother-in-law insisted it is only a lump of slag skimmed from a steel mill crucible...... It is true it does not look quite like sample fotos of iron meteorites but I have to believe both my late grandfather and the collector who offered cash for it.
Cash speaks pretty loud at the shows I've attended.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

.45colt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:38 am That's Really Cool. I'm sure it's not news to You but I saw a show on T.V. last year about King Tut and the dagger He was buried with . the Experts analyzed it and found it was made from a Meteorite at a time in history that iron or steel was hardly known. Happy New Year. :D .
45, I read about that, what a rare find that would be. I once saw a 45 Auto that was made from a meteorite, the price was so high I still have bad dreams about it. :lol:
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

earlmck wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:10 pm Now that is quite the find! And right here in my neck of the woods. Er... "high desert" in the local terminology; "sagebrush steppe" as the ecologist would say.

If it would have been me stumbling over it I'd have just said "ouch" and left her right there and never known what I'd seen. Glad somebody found it that had a clue.
I was probably pretty close to you when it was found. Nice country. I always carry a 22 when I'm out and about but I seem to look down a lot.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Rockrat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:18 pm Was at lake Powell and saw a crater about 10ft across and wondered if it might have been a real small meteor strike. Was tempted to take a shovel and check things out, but it wasn't too far off a road and figured once I started digging, a ranger would drive by and I would be in deep stuff, so left it there.
Rockrat, if the crater was formed by a hit, then it would be good to poke around inside and outside it. Inside you may find evidence of the strike, something like a strike cone. Meteorite fragments are often found on the outside of the crater as well as inside. Might be worth a look. A metal detector helps a lot.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

ollogger wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm Thats cool for sure!! have found a few small space rocks while looking for Indian rocks
biggest was 1/4 lb. but black & magnetic, found a polished rock one time & i thought who would have dropped this rock here in the boondocks? later a old guy was showing me his collection of artifacts
he found, well he had boxes of polished rocks,so i asked him what to heck are they?
he told me they was from the gizzards of the giant birds that flew way back when & when they died
they left this pile of rocks, he also told me since i only found one rock that if i would have kicked around
i would have found more because he always did
Brad
Brad, now I'm going to be looking for gizzard rocks as well as a bunch of other stuff. Neat story. I love exploring and am amazed at what is just lying around. I really like finding stuff, even if it's not valuable.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Trailboss wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:15 am Years ago while coyote hunting my buddy and I were calling on a large ranch in SE Colorado when I found a fairly large hunk of burnt iron. I knew what it was, we were miles in on foot and I picked it up , decided it was too heavy to carry so I dropped it hoping to get back there but never did...
Might want to take a trip to look for it. I understand they sell for a dollar plus per gram. Lots of grams in a heavy piece. The heavier the better :)
I highly doubt I could even find that ranch again- let alone that hunk of iron!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:44 pm
Trailboss wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm
I highly doubt I could even find that ranch again- let alone that hunk of iron!! :lol:
I totally understand, been there myself. I did find a bear trap one time and ended up dragging it nearly 10 miles back to my truck. At the time I really questioned the wisdom but later I was glad I persisted.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

I'm insterered.

How would you found them.

Mark
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

mark wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:42 am I'm insterered.

How would you found them.

Mark
Mark, I'm not sure about other folks, but I just walk around open areas looking at rocks. I tend to examine any black, dark colored, metallic looking rocks. Meteorite finds are not common but remember that the space rocks have been falling for a long time and if you find an un-searched area, it can be pretty good.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I will be looking at rocks much closer now.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

can drag a magnet on a string, or put one on the bottom of a hiking staff...
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 pm can drag a magnet on a string, or put one on the bottom of a hiking staff...
This is true, although magnetite is magnetic and abundant so learn to reject the non-meteorites.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Have used a metal detector but seems im always digging up junk, I have found some very old 50-70 & 45-70
some of the 50-70 were inside primed & the 45-70s had like a shot gun size primer, the Calvary
was very active here & traveled back & forth from Ft.Laramie to the mts. for logs & fire wood, in places
you can still see the wagon ruts, there was a huge village of natives as you can see tepee rings all over the valley but have never found any thing by them, for me i found Indian rocks around a mile from the rings
space rocks & a gizzard stone, some of that burned in early fall & with the wind we had lately its time to
go see what the wind has blown out, oh most of the time i take a lever gun along like a 99 in 243
just might pick up a coyote along the way also

Brad
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

ollogger wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:07 pm Have used a metal detector but seems im always digging up junk, I have found some very old 50-70 & 45-70
some of the 50-70 were inside primed & the 45-70s had like a shot gun size primer, the Calvary
was very active here & traveled back & forth from Ft.Laramie to the mts. for logs & fire wood, in places
you can still see the wagon ruts, there was a huge village of natives as you can see tepee rings all over the valley but have never found any thing by them, for me i found Indian rocks around a mile from the rings
space rocks & a gizzard stone, some of that burned in early fall & with the wind we had lately its time to
go see what the wind has blown out, oh most of the time i take a lever gun along like a 99 in 243
just might pick up a coyote along the way also
Brad
I've had the best luck with a metal detector just waving over rocks. If I get a sounding, I check it to see if it's iron or blackened from heat. Kinda cool to dig up old Calvary casings. Probably some buffalo hunters as well. I had never heard of a gizzard stone until recently, now I'll be looking as well. Have you had any luck finding space rocks?

I really like your choice in lever guns, you never know what you might see. Better to be ready.

Ken
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Trailboss only have found 3 space rocks that i could find among my very poor way of storing things
but while digging around this morning i did find my stash of Marbles knifes & some other cool things ive
forgot i had, maybe i will take your tip on using the metal detector, some places here there is alot of gravel
exposed, never have found any old buffalo cartridge cases other than the 45-70 or 50-70

wish i had the brains to post photos Sorry

Brad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Probably the First Meteorite Collectors..............................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankham ... ron_dagger
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

.45colt wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 pm Probably the First Meteorite Collectors..............................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankham ... ron_dagger
makes me wonder. the speculation that it might have been a gift. the idea that "experts" can't fathom that metalworking processes and skills may have existed in mature form prior to their discovery.

it resembles a spear blade, which of course is a dagger blade on a long stick. perhaps it was a battlefield pickup.

in another article I read that there is a known supply of meteorite material in the region that would have been available.

the thing that has my attention is that I have forged blades similar to, in one case very similar to that dagger, and it is noticeable that there are no forging artifacts, and the tang area looks very squared off, as though there were files involved, and a massive amount of dressing on stones, the only way I know of that a forged surface could be that smooth and scratchless. I didn't see a precise alloy description, but the blade appears to be a stainless steel. unless it was hermetically sealed from atmoshpere... lotsa questions. maybe I should pan some nuggets for a gold haft.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

If anyone happens to be driving through Barstow California, they have this meteorite on display. https://desertdc.com/old-woman-meteorite/

I used to work in the Southern California desert near Hinkley, of Erin Brockovich fame, in a very large solar power plant. Our head I&E guy had a meteorite that was about 10 pounds on his desk he found out in the solar field. I was never a fan of the Southern California High Desert but it was a great place to look at the stars at night.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 am I know zero about meteorites but found this fascinating. There is so much we yet have to find out about what lies beyond our world.
We look through a glass darkly,someday we will be amazed of what we don`t know or told.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

About 50 years ago Dad came home with a hot rock he found in the parking lot at work. It was the size and shape of a large russet baking potato. It was hot to touch, a real dark black/purple, and and had gold yellow green flecks all over, and seemed to change color a bit as you turned it in the light. We kept it in the planter inside the house for years, not sure what ever happened to it. It seemed very heavy for its size.