bushnell TRS-25 red dot on Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

bushnell TRS-25 red dot on Rossi 92

Post by mickbr »

Anyone have this mounted on a lever or other type of gun? Any reports on durability or battery life. Will it have enough eye relief? Better units at similar price point?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: bushnell TRS-25 red dot on Rossi 92

Post by AJMD429 »

Not that specific sight, but other Bushnell red-dots I've had held up well in general. The older ones don't have an 'automatic shutoff' thing, so be sure to turn them off when done.

As far as red-dots on leverguns - I've done it a bunch - LINKS to several red-dot levergun projects here... :D

In the above thread, there are three main pictures of the leverguns with red-dot optics, and below each picture is a link to that specific gun and how/why I set it up that way.

The red-dot isn't "traditional" on a levergun, but it sure helps me hit the target better, particularly in the real-world conditions of low-light when out trying to keep the livestock safe.

Besides, the newer red-dot and holographic sights are so compact some are barely bigger than a receiver sight, and I'd suspect that some of the 'mil-spec' ones are actually as durable as any iron sight from a practical standpoint.

Good luck and post what you wind up with.... 8)

P.S. - LOL I see you already probably saw those links I posted on the 'other' thread along these lines... Oh well, sometimes a lurker/searcher types in some key words and hits a post like this and gets their question answered, too. That's the way I found the forum a decade or so ago, looking for a part for an 1889 Marlin.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I have several TRS-25s mounted on everything from ARs to pump shotguns. None mounted on my leverguns yet, but I would not hesitate to do so. They work great for my older eyes that no longer pick up iron sights very well at all. Yes I do have to turn them off when not in use, but I habitually turn off lights that I am not using anyway so that's no big deal for me. Be aware that as with all red dots, if your eyes have uncorrected astigmatism the red "dot" may look more like a red "star" or red "blob". This is an eye issue, not an optic issue. Using glasses which correct for my astigmatism, the dot looks just like a dot should. I don't have any recollection of battery life issues, which must mean they last quite a while. They use commonly available and relatively cheap batteries, so no complaints there. I think they are a great red dot for the price. Yes it will look untraditional on a Rossi 92, but I think shooting more accurately trumps how good it looks resting in a gun rack. Others opinions will certainly vary from mine.
NRA life member
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I put a Burris Fastfire 3 in one of the Doug Turnbull mounts that go in the rear sight slot. I did this for my dad so he could use his old Trapper. He is 79, and this setup works great for him. It doesn't negatively affect the handling of the little carbine or add weight. It has held zero very well also.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The only reason I stick to iron sights on my leverguns is that I use a saddle scabbard. If I didn't, I would not hesitate to put a red dot on a levergun.

I thought about doing this on a short Rossi 92 in .44 mag as I have seen a neat mount that fits the dovetail in the front and attaches to the side of the reciever in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rJRhEooCg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott, Here is one I have used that mounts using the rear sight dovetail and the front two screws on a Marlin that looks similar, other than the rear of course attaches differently.

At least on my Marlin 1894CS, I eventually went with a short section of rail just on the receiver, to reduce the bulk. The guy you posted the video of made his quite a bit more streamlined and I like his better than the one I have.

B-Square also makes a QD mount similar to the ones made for the Mini-14 only much more petite.

Here is a picture showing how 'petite' it is versus many scope mounts:

It is, however, big enough to hold the Burris Fastfire-II and a LaserMax Pistol Laser; the pair is excellent for fast target acquisition even in poor light (or with a flashlight, in darkness). You can still use the irons if desired, and of course the mount comes off with the twist of the knurled screw. It seems to re-mount and hold zero just fine, although I pretty much just keep it on the gun. For the Burris model I have, I reversed the mounting screw on the Burris, so it wouldn't stick out into the ejection path.

...by the way....the little hole towards the rear of the mount is a cool feature - it allows you to store the takedown-screw there (which you remove in order to install this mount, as the knurled knob/screw fits that hole. What a cool feature...except since I didn't read the directions, I just put the takedown screw "with my other gun parts" and of course now it is where the unpaired socks and critical small gun parts all go, never to be seen again.... :|

MidwayUSA shows these 'discontinued' - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008807540 - but you can find them on Amazon and E-Bay.

SOME Rossi models actually have four holes drilled in the barrel for a 'Scout Scope Mount' that Rossi sells (or sold in the past, at least - spacing is same as some other firearm but there is a taper I believe that is different). Anyway, I have one like that, but had no idea it was already drilled and tapped for FOUR holes, as they were almost completely obscured by the spring-steel base of the rear sight. If you have one like that, if opens up the possibilities...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:16 am Not that specific sight, but other Bushnell red-dots I've had held up well in general. The older ones don't have an 'automatic shutoff' thing, so be sure to turn them off when done.

As far as red-dots on leverguns - I've done it a bunch - LINKS to several red-dot levergun projects here... :D

In the above thread, there are three main pictures of the leverguns with red-dot optics, and below each picture is a link to that specific gun and how/why I set it up that way.

The red-dot isn't "traditional" on a levergun, but it sure helps me hit the target better, particularly in the real-world conditions of low-light when out trying to keep the livestock safe.

Besides, the newer red-dot and holographic sights are so compact some are barely bigger than a receiver sight, and I'd suspect that some of the 'mil-spec' ones are actually as durable as any iron sight from a practical standpoint.

Good luck and post what you wind up with.... 8)

P.S. - LOL I see you already probably saw those links I posted on the 'other' thread along these lines... Oh well, sometimes a lurker/searcher types in some key words and hits a post like this and gets their question answered, too. That's the way I found the forum a decade or so ago, looking for a part for an 1889 Marlin.
Thanks Doc, no probs I enjoyed looking at your guns both times and the links are definetly relevant to both threads.

Btw looks like the Rossi round barrels do have the holes under the rear sight these days . Trying to figure out the easiest rail to install. NOE is out of stock, not sure the original Rossi aftermarkets still exist for sale. What else could I plug in there? if it gets too technical I have a gunsmith buddy who can probably shim or adapt about anything needed. Simple is always easier of course
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 am The only reason I stick to iron sights on my leverguns is that I use a saddle scabbard. If I didn't, I would not hesitate to put a red dot on a levergun.

I thought about doing this on a short Rossi 92 in .44 mag as I have seen a neat mount that fits the dovetail in the front and attaches to the side of the reciever in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rJRhEooCg
Thanks Scott. This is the rossi 92 rail the fellow mentions. 'No drill', I assume this is why it has that reciever attachment section?
Image Image
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's it. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday for that Rossi. The rear dovetail is "generous" and I always worry about any rear sight that I have tried in it as they do not bottom out in the dovetail.