Any old ammo box collectors here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Any old ammo box collectors here

Post by fordwannabe »

I have these two boxes of ammo in my assortment of stuff. Does anybody know these boxes? Both are full the 1873 labeled one has the string intact and sealed per factory. I am interested in year made and approximate value....yes I realize hard to place a value from crappy pics but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
B74F836B-8627-4065-B51A-3E9B5C0C154E.jpeg
B7A7F0ED-E260-43AE-994D-AC8564C71130.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Any old ammo box collectors here

Post by Oldncrusty »

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not really a "collector" myself, as I've never done enough research to consider when the various ammo was made. But I've accumulated a large amount of old boxed ammo, loose ammo, boxes of old bullets, primers, and just about anything to make guns go boom back in the 1800's.
Here's a good site to pose your question, and likely get an answer on when they were made.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/

My personal "guesstimate" would be late 1800's, but how late I couldn't say. I've been to the annual cartridge collectors show every year, as it's held about 50 miles away from me. Prices are all over the place on old ammo and boxes. And unopened boxes get big premiums. But opened boxes can get good prices too if all rounds are in the box, and all matching. If there's even one cartridge missing, or a mismatch, those guys will dump the whole box out and sell each cartridge individually, and sell the box separately too.
Rifle length ammo goes much higher than pistol length. And the ammo being for rare or expensive guns gets the biggest money. Find and Sharps cartridge boxes and expect to be rich from the sales if you find someone who has a Sharps and wants a box of ammo to display with it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thank you both.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.