Reciever sight for a Browning 1895 .30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Reciever sight for a Browning 1895 .30-06

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm thinking about taking my Browning 1895 out of the box and shooting it. I was also thinking about a reciever sight like on some of the older 95s I have seen. One of them mounts to the side and has a small lever to make adjustments for elevation and it seems to be pretty sturdy. Anyone have any suggestions on where I might find such a sight?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reciever sight for a Browning 1895 .30-06

Post by 2ndovc »

Scott,

Here's a decent reproduction of the original Lyman 21. I've never owned one but I shot a '95 that had one. Not bad.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/lyman-21-ty ... d-ptclongb

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Scott,
I think this is the same one as Jason posted about. http://www.peabodyrifle.com/sights.html
oldAG
Levergunner

Post by oldAG »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:21 pm I'm thinking about taking my Browning 1895 out of the box and shooting it. I was also thinking about a reciever sight like on some of the older 95s I have seen. One of them mounts to the side and has a small lever to make adjustments for elevation and it seems to be pretty sturdy. Anyone have any suggestions on where I might find such a sight?
I have a rifle such as yours, still NIB as well.
I also contemplated doing the same as you by fitting a Lyman 21 sight, but then balked at the idea because it means drilling & tapping for the mounting screw.
For the moment, it has more value as an unmolested piece but I may be persuaded otherwise :)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a 1895 in 35 Win that was already tapped for the climbing Lyman sight. So I bought the reproduction one. The thing is that even in 35 Win you don't need all that elevation, never raise it. The 30-06 shoots even flatter so I wouldn't do it. I had my Browning 1895 in 30-06 tapped for a Williams receiver sight and it works good. Plus the original climbing Lyman uses a #11 by 36TPI bolts and so does the reproduction. So now I want to mount a side mount scope to take it deer hunting and #11 x 36TPI bolts are non existent for the holes that are in the receiver. So I am searching for someone to make me some. The Browning I had tapped for the Williams sight is not a problem mounting a side mount scope because the thread size is common. I also think Skinner makes one that goes on the Bolt. Just so you know the Browning in 30-06 is very accurate. I would hit gallon jugs at 200 yards with the peep sight and my buddies would miss them with their scoped bolt actions from a standing position.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a Providence Tool company pattern 21 sight on my 1895 Browning (that I got off of Jason, in fact).
It came with drill bit and tap needed to complete installation. Very pleased.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

vancelw, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I know that I will never need the elevation, but these look rugged enough to stand up to a saddle scabbard.

Thanks guys!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have mine sighted in to where I am about 4" low at 200 yards. Not quite MPBR. Any farther than that and the front post covers up too much of the target/animal. I haven't moved the settings since then
I did have to cobble a taller front sight
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

vancelw wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:34 am I have a Providence Tool company pattern 21 sight on my 1895 Browning (that I got off of Jason, in fact).
It came with drill bit and tap needed to complete installation. Very pleased.
See, even a Texan can figure it out! :D

Happy to see that you're getting some use out of the '95, it always got ignored over my '06 SRC.

Jason 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

_DSC0109__13827.JPG
I would prefer to find a SRC and trade the rifle off. Its just a better handling gun for me. I would REALLY like one in .30-40 Krag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been chasing one in .303 British for years, I'd like to add one in .30-40 as well.
The most fun though is the Russian Contract. Handloads only though, I don't trust the Russians when they say Non-Corrosive.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Nice!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have an original 95 carbine in 30/06 with the lyman sight

that gun is a 'one hole' shooter with my favorite load. one of my most favorite rifles. has excellent balance and handling

that sight works well for me.. had one on a 405 as well, at one time
cable
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you decide to go with a different receiver sight, id suggest a Lyman No 56, they look much nicer than other modern made receiver sights and look more period correct on older type guns. If you do look for a No 56 sight, I wouldnt get to wound up about finding the exact perfect match for a 95. Other than ones made for Marlin 39s with super skinny receivers, ive used whatever basic flat side 56 sights I found on 92s, 94s and 86s with zero problems. An "incorrect" model may have the windage slide slightly offset from the "correct" one, but shouldnt keep it from being zeroed and it wont stick out as far to the right to get in trouble.

I swapped out the knurled windage and elevation adjustment knobs with the coin slotted "hunting" knobs, I did have a scabbard turn a knurled adjustment screw once and it was quite a surprise to make what I thought was a good shot only to miss. I ordered the coin slotted knobs directly from Lyman, the ones from the No 66 sights currently made fit perfectly.

I regret selling th 2 different Browning 95s I had in the past, and regret not grabbing on of the Winchester SRC models when they were available.

Lyman 56.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lyman+N ... 42&bih=568

Last edited by Malamute on Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Good tips Malamute