Savage model 1899/99 takedown button/latch ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oklahoma savage
Levergunner

Savage model 1899/99 takedown button/latch ?

Post by oklahoma savage »

Hello all thank you for allowing me to join your awesome community. Before I go into the long version I will simplify and expedite your reading process by saying I cannot get a hold of a button assembly for the takedown forearm of a model 99. And seek advice or Direction on making or purchasing one or perhaps cannibalizing parts from other guns to make one. I recently purchased the bare bones of a model 99 for $20 off a guy not knowing anything about old guns, I figured it would be worth it just for a wall hanger or decoration. Upon getting home and inspecting it further I realized it was in working order amazing condition for being how old it is(serial #244xxx) there is a D on lever boss and has brass rotor ' from my research turns out to be a 99 d takedown pre-war made from the early twenties to the mid-30s chambered in 250 Savage with a 1 in 14 twist Barrel Utica New York markings and it says model 1899. I immediately set out to purchase the missing pieces which include the forearm metal thing that attaches into the receiver a stock bolt and stock washer and I've roughed out a pretty nice stock and forearm and now I find myself wondering how to make a doodad to replace the latch system... I've been looking at the Ruger 10/22 latch release thingamabobs for sale and was wondering if I could just recess a spot for it with the router or something and it would be similar until I find a real vintage one or should I replace the latch with a screw stud and leave the forearm on? Will attach pictures ASAP
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Savage model 1899/99 takedown button/latch ?

Post by gamekeeper »

We have a few Savage 99 fans here, I'm sure someone will chime in soon, welcome to the fire.. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bump to top.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Boyds Gun stocks has a set of replacement stocks on sale right now for about $70. You can try Jack Firsts Guns or Numrich, otherwise watch Ebay and Gunbroker for parts.
I recently did a project 99 and had the same issue with a broken latch. I ended up filing a piece of metal to fit the forend and used a dovetail blank in the bottom of the barrel to tap a hole into. I decided that I wasn't going to be taking it apart to travel on any trains in the near future, so I am OK with it being fixed with screw. I will try to post a picture of it because the detachable sling mount is intergraded into it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nothing cooler than finding an 'old gun' and realizing that it is restorable to a working firearm....!

I know nothing about Savage 99's (someday on my to-do list is to acquire one and learn), but there are folks here who know that firearm like most of us know our kitchen or garage - where every part is, what it is used for, and how to fix it...

I'm gonna pop some popcorn and pour a shot of bourbon and just read along and learn... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Here is a picture of what I did with mine. I don't know how to post a picture with Google drive. It started out with square stock 1/2 x 1/2 inch. Cut to size and drill holes while square. Then grind, file, and sand for final fit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ym3E3q ... sp=sharing