A 'Western' I liked...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A 'Western' I liked...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just watched "The Hateful Eight" and liked it. Kind of an Alfred Hitchcock type plot in the western genre. Warning - it is a Quinton Tarantino production, but there is not much clue to that until towards the end when some of the blood and gore has his trademark exaggeration - :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A 'Western' I liked...

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the heads up.. :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was extremely disappointed. One terrible sequence ruined the film for me.

I cannot imagine that anyone could stomach the interchange between Samuel Jackson's character and the one played by Bruce Dern.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I liked it until about the halfway point after that....not so much but then again I despise about everything Tarantino does
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Saw it awhile ago, wasn't for me.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

So over the top, I found it humorous!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

In my youth I liked black and white horror films, but the original Alien scared the bejezzus out of me and I had to leave the theater at my young age. After I became a school psych at age 37 or so, I started to see some horrible things and I'm not an ER doctor, I just see the emotional interior trauma. I have all the "Kill Bill" films from my younger days, but haven't watched them since. Too think he was being considered to do a Star Trek film. Egads! I think Open Range is my favorite Western, Appaloosa is also very good, and Tom Selleck's Monte Walsh also a favorite. That being said, would be happy to sit down with Doc AJ and watch "The ...Eight". :D Once. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For the most part I like Tarantino's movies, Pulp Fiction is one of my favorites. I really didn't care for the Hateful Eight, even though there were some great actors in the film, one could see the end coming a mile away. Films are purely subjective, and what one person likes and another hates is purely personal. I like the "cartoonish" over the the top violence of the Kill Bill movies, but they're not for everyone. If you want a good creepy western, watch "Ravenous". I won't ruin it but, didn't see that one coming.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Watched it recently also, and it had all the markings of a Quentin Tarantino film. It was OK, but certainly not a great western.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

If you want to see a violent western, watch "Bone Tomahawk."

There's a reason some Native Americans worked so hard to live up where you couldn't get to them. And canabalizm was not resricted to the Texas Gulf Coast tribes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:21 am If you want to see a violent western, watch "Bone Tomahawk."

There's a reason some Native Americans worked so hard to live up where you couldn't get to them. And canabalizm was not resricted to the Texas Gulf Coast tribes.
Aye, that one had me perplexed for awhile!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

While I liked the incredible and expansive scenery/cinematography--shot in the gorgeous San Juan range near Tellurude in Southwestern Colorado I'm very familiar with--I didn't care for it so much when the last 1/3 went mostly indoors and turned particularly "Tarentino." Also, some of the actors starting to become too familiar, including Kurt Russell, whom I generally like--overexposure over the years--on the screen...so a bit too much "hey, look, it's _____ !" - took some of the fantasy out of things, you like in a big screen movie...suspension of reality for a few hours and all that.

One of those movies that hits different people, uh, differently ... of course many do, but this one in particular. I was very reticent to endorse it when I told my older brother and SIL that I'd just seen it - – what with the gore and Tarantino behavioral twists and ticks ... Though no prudes to violence, generally extreme is not their cup of tea and I would have put money on it that they would hate it ...
I was even hesitant to say the usual, "you'll just have to see it for yourself..." ...But - turns out I needn't have worried, they loved it. Go figure.