You gotta love quality.....updates

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

You gotta love quality.....updates

Post by wvfarrier »

.....especially when you dont get it!!! How does this even leave the factory???? Look at the bolt!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wvfarrier on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: You gotta love quality.....

Post by wvfarrier »

And thats not the half of it, there are chatter marks on the inside slots for the bolt, on the bolt rails and the locking lugs are 2 different sizes. There is a full 1/8 in length difference at the top. The chamfer on the lugs is two different angles and widths. Good grief.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

WVFarrier,
Looks like another high quality Rossi with plenty of micrometer measured factory quality assurance you have there. If your looking to sell it there's a couple of guys over at the "Winchester-Winchester-Winchester" post that might be interested.

Your rifle looks pretty good, way above the norm......your lucky to get that as Rossi usually saves those for presentation guns for college educated propagandists that work for foreign gun manufacturers. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like something that I made when I was half asleep.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

No Rossi guns for this kid.
It sure ain't no Miroku..

That said, back in the mid-70s, we sold a guy a new Remington bolt-action .280.
He brought it back next day, said it would not chamber cartridges at all
A quick check showed the barrel had not been chambered..
Remington vehemently denied the possibility, over the phone, and soon sent a rep to check it out...
Eventually turned out that a number of rifles from that run had been shipped without chambers.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Yup, I don't even consider my Rossi/Puma/LSI 454 even safe to shoot with full power 454 loads. I will not load beyond 45LC pressures as I have got a good look at the poor quality machining and assembly in the receiver and it is scary. I will not be leaving this one to the grand kids! My plan is to use my chop saw to the receiver and barrel so nobody gets hurt. Is it legal for me to destroy my own gun without making out some paperwork?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Turdyturdy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 am Is it legal for me to destroy my own gun without making out some paperwork?
If it ain't registered in the first place, who is gonna care? Or check?
If it's registered, give it to someone like me who will have fun straightening things up and converting it to .38 Special or .32-20.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Yes, case in point to what Steve said----I had a fairly expensive Weatherby with a very crooked chamber and shot wild---Weatherby would not stand behind it. I have a fairly inexpensive Rossi that has nice fit and finish, great trigger, has been shot a ton, with plenty of heavy loads and shoots well. It's a lottery sometimes. I have a Kimber 84 that I really like but it shot terrible in 260 Rem, the Kimber rep called me back after I called the factory and he agreed many of the 260's didn't shoot well so he had the barrel replaced and the rifle checked over with my choice of 257R, 243 or 308. I will never buy another Weatherby, but I would buy another Rossi or Kimber. Weatherby is even in my home state now and no way would I support them, so we all have our deals I guess.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Wow, easy folks, no need to get your back hair up. I simply pointed out issues on a new rifle that i felt were unacceptable.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Turdyturdy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 am Yup, I don't even consider my Rossi/Puma/LSI 454 even safe to shoot with full power 454 loads. I will not load beyond 45LC pressures as I have got a good look at the poor quality machining and assembly in the receiver and it is scary. I will not be leaving this one to the grand kids! My plan is to use my chop saw to the receiver and barrel so nobody gets hurt. Is it legal for me to destroy my own gun without making out some paperwork?
A while back i traded into a Ruger Alaskan in 454 with a box of Freedom Arms ammo
so as soon as i got home i fired 3 rounds out of the gun & yes recoil was strong, so i was going to
check the cases but coulndt extract them the normal way & had to get a wooden dowel to push them out
long story short i pulled the bullets, dumped the powder & added a starting load of LilGun
that made a fine load ,

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mr Farrier.....NO gun is made all in one piece.....they are made from a conglomerate of parts and screws which are put together and hopefully, fitted by human beings.

Your gun does not show common irregularities that escape the eye such as a hardened surface, a part milled a few thousands off, a deformed area in the wood that's under the surface that leads to a split.....

There's a simple explanation for a gun like yours to leave the factory with obvious visual defects......
The workers are either stupid or they don't give a F......which one is it?------6........006
Model A Uzi’s
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Now I'm glade I missed out on a Rossi 92 that I was thinking about! I guess I just stick to what I know. Pre Remington Marlin's and Winchester's! I always liked pre 64 Winchester's . I think it was about 1982 or 83 when they went back to steel receiver's and the angle eject model's. They make good shooter's. Although being a southpaw I do like the top ejection much better! Enjoy your day gentleman!
John
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

COSteve wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:24 pm
wvfarrier wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:40 am ... I simply pointed out issues on a new rifle that i felt were unacceptable.
No you didn't, your comment, "If your looking to sell it there's a couple of guys over at the "Winchester-Winchester-Winchester" post that might be interested." clearly was meant to insult. Own up to it.
Double check your facts, I NEVER made that statement. It was made by someone responding to my post. Thank you very much.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

No worries. I dont want yall to.get the opinion that I dont like Rossi, i own 2 ranch hands and another 92 and they have been good minus a few hiccups i could fix at home. This one, however, is a train wreck.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't care who makes it, somehow a poor quality product will get out.
I have seen it happen in things which are supposed to be almost idiot proof. Ever have a pair of CeeTee pliers by Crescent that bent because they were too soft?
D. Brian Casady
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I contacted Rossi today to see if i could buy a new bolt and lugs but they wouldnt sell me any :-/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Now that is an issue.
D. Brian Casady
1894c

Post by 1894c »

actually I really liked SIX's sarcasm, made me laugh, and the way today went I needed a good laugh...I too won't purchase a Rossi--did that once--sold it after it got repaired by Rossi, which took two months. That's why I own Marlin's (JM) and two Henry .22-cal Carbines with a big-loop. But with that said, I know that some of you on this forum have had good luck with Rossi... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1894c wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:22 am actually I really liked SIX's sarcasm, made me laugh, and the way today went I needed a good laugh...I too won't purchase a Rossi--did that once--sold it after it got repaired by Rossi, which took two months. That's why I own Marlin's (JM) and two Henry .22-cal Carbines with a big-loop. But with that said, I know that some of you on this forum have had good luck with Rossi... :)
Hey bro...thanks! Ya know, it's not easy getting support when your the black sheep in a herd of politically correct do-gooders that support globalism and at the same time pretend they are God fearing. The think tanks who have brainwashed the weak minded into thinking American greatness is a lie sure has had a founding effect....look who they voted in for POTUS! :D

Hey....you like having fun and so do I......go to the post "who has" where individuals are bragging about the foreign junk they have and watch for some fun remarks......this is GREAT! Like President Donald Trump I don't give a F what others think. You think these losers are gonna come to your rescue if you have problems? Sheeeeeeeet... ...they will give you "thoughts and prayers" and then go in a corner and choke their chicken. :D I know your laughing!------6...o..da...bro...wit...de...hoe.
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Did Rossi at least point you towards a gunsmith, or repair facility that could fix that mess?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm Did Rossi at least point you towards a gunsmith, or repair facility that could fix that mess?
This was about 8-years ago, Rossi had me send it back to them for repair... :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

1894c wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 am
marlinman93 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm Did Rossi at least point you towards a gunsmith, or repair facility that could fix that mess?
This was about 8-years ago, Rossi had me send it back to them for repair... :)
I was asking wvfarrier, as he said they wouldn't sell him parts. Thought they'd direct him towards a repair depot?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

They offered to "repair" it. Unfortunately they are currently running 16-20 weeks for turn around time. Trying to source parts to fix it myself. Ordered some parts from Kiowa
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: You gotta love quality.....updates

Post by wvfarrier »

So, over the last 3 days i have put about 6 hours into polishing and sanding a lot of the internals. I am still waiting on springs from Nate Kiowa Jones. I was able to remove all the tooling marks and burrs from the bolt and lugs. I then lubed everything with White Lithium grease and its made a huge difference in the action. The lever still hangs up on the intial opening but once you move it about 2" it swings free and smooth. Its the same on the return those last 2" are still hanging up. I polished the trigger and hammer and dang!!! Its now as nice as ive ever felt on a levergun. I dont have a trigger pull gauge but its lighter and smoother than my 3# Geiselle trigger.

I am hoping the new hammer spring helps with the lever being so hard to open those initial 2".