An ugly duckling finds a home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

An ugly duckling finds a home

Post by Larkbill »

So I've struggled getting my .45 Colt Rossi to shoot minute of ram, between the slow rifling, roomy chamber, and large bore it's been a trial. I get regularly beat by fellows shooting the .22 Mag which is legal for Pistol Cartridge levergun competition. Yes they ring rams some times, but the Federal 50 gr loading eliminates most of that. I had been eyeing the Henry with the octagon barrel for it's heft, the other issue with my Rossi being the whippy barrel.

To fund my purchase I had been trying to sell my M6 Scout, which one hears rumors of bringing $500-600 on auction sites. Was going to enlist the aid of a shooting buddy who owns a gun shop and he came up with a better solution:
20201215_073959.jpg
Not the prettiest levergun in the pack, but kind of like the sweet chubby girl who really knew how to kiss. I'm hoping it turns into a swan on the range. And that sweet chubby girl? She was only chubby in her own mind, she was really a fox. Or in this case, already equipped with my preferred Williams sight.

This Levermatic has the steel receiver but no serial number which makes it a '66-'68 manufacture. I would have been in high school then and drooling over Model 39's and likely never even noticed this gun in the catalog. Now I just need a day to slip out to the range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An ugly duckling finds a home

Post by GunnyMack »

SCORE!! Those are great shooters, a buddy had one and it was the first thing grabbed when vermin showed itself at the farm!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like the look of that..... :mrgreen: I would remove the white spacers though, I've never been keen on them.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!
I've always wanted one of the Levermatics in .30 Carbine. Thought it would make a fun plinker.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Agree on the .30 Carbine, it would be a perfect companion to my Blackhawk. Not sure if it's allowed in Pistol Cartridge Silhouette, but if it was it would be a good choice.

My youngest brother had one in .256 but unfortunately I didn't have the money to keep it in the family when he sold it.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I always liked those guns. Good find.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Noticed those in the catalog, but never actually fondled one. I think it is a very handsome levergun, and hope it shoots lights out for you.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's awesome! I love it!

What caliber? You mentioned .22 mag but not directly referencing this gun. Maybe there was an insinuation there.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

FLINT wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:04 pm That's awesome! I love it!

What caliber? You mentioned .22 mag but not directly referencing this gun. Maybe there was an insinuation there.
Yes it is .22 Mag.

Post by hfcable »

i have one of those - keep it down in montana ...... great prairie dog rifle

extremely accurate ( have 2 actually - keep one here in alaska ) and have one in 22 LR ... and then got one in 30 carbine and in 256 winchester .... all of them are great shooters

i think they made a few in 22 Jet but i have never seen one
cable
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My Model 57M LOVES the Armscorp 40 grain 22 mag. I have not tried the 50 grain round. Good luck with it. I have been looking for a 57(22lr) off and on for a couple years because I like my magnum so much.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a nice rifle, never heard of it, nor remember ever seeing one--thank you for sharing...can I ask how much $$$ ... :)
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

1894c wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 am that's a nice rifle, never heard of it, nor remember ever seeing one--thank you for sharing...can I ask how much $$$ ... :)
Did a trade. I'm going to say I probably got between $500 and $600 in value. So few change hands it's hard to say what they're worth. I traded an almost new Springfield/CZ M6 Scout with several accessories for it. It won't bother me a bit if my friend who owns the LGS makes a nice profit when he sells it on Gunbroker. It saved me having to deal with that plus I got something I really wanted that isn't in every gun rack.

I pulled it apart to deep clean and found it's a very intriguing mechanism. Looks like it was designed to be assembled on a jig by a semi-skilled person very quickly. All metal, mostly stamped parts but robust looking. Also very easy to clean and lube without going any deeper than separating the action from the barrel. That lifts off easily after removing three screws and a pin.

I guess it didn't sell in the numbers needed to keep it in the catalog. I'm guessing traditional lever fans weren't all that impressed, and the semi autos were (and are) pretty popular. Somewhat telling that about the time my new gun was new I was spending my money on a shiny new Remington 552 that I still have.

Post by Larkbill »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:55 pm My Model 57M LOVES the Armscorp 40 grain 22 mag. I have not tried the 50 grain round. Good luck with it. I have been looking for a 57(22lr) off and on for a couple years because I like my magnum so much.
I hope this one likes the Armscor too. My Ruger American didn't so much. I have a couple hundred rounds of the Armscor and there is a fair amount around for sale. I plan on using the 50 gr Federal just for the rams so don't need as much of that. The LGS owner has the sight marked from the one time he shot it and he said the Federal shot well. He used CCI 40 gr for the closer targets. I trust his info, he's the match director for .22 and Pistol Cartridge levergun silhouette and our airgun matches in the winter, plus hosts a fly match at his shop too during the winter.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:25 am Cool!
I've always wanted one of the Levermatics in .30 Carbine. Thought it would make a fun plinker.

jb 8)
I had a pair of the Marlin 62’s in 30 Carbine and 256 Win Mag . Don’t think I ever shot either of them before I sold them .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !