Chuck Yeager--Gone West

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Chuck Yeager--Gone West

Post by Rockrat »

The iconic aviation icon and 2A supporter has passed away at the age of 97. Piloted the Bell X-1 thru the sound barrier in 1947.

Godspeed General.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chuck Yeager--Gone West

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I remember his saying, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Grew up with him (in the news) when I was a kid....a true patriot....and a baaaaddd A. Now the real fight begins as I've read where him and his 4 kids had a falling out over him getting remarried to some bimbo....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

An amazing pilot, and a very long and storied life! I took my concealed carry class from his nephew many decades ago.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A great loss. From a time when we had true heroes.
God Speed Sir!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Flying some of those things he flew was probably fun as could possibly be. I couldn't do it. First of all, my eyesight has never been good enough. That is enough that I couldn't have ever been allowed to try to learn. When you find out at 8 years old that you are legally blind without corrective lenses is sort of weird. I thought that no one could see across the street.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:51 pmFlying some of those things he flew was probably fun as could possibly be. I couldn't do it. First of all, my eyesight has never been good enough. That is enough that I couldn't have ever been allowed to try to learn. When you find out at 8 years old that you are legally blind without corrective lenses is sort of weird. I thought that no one could see across the street.
My wife had the same experience... Always marveled that I could read road name signs a ½ mile distant. I believe I read once that Yeager had 20:13 vision... lowest I ever tested was 20:15, but that went away sharply after I turned 60! Very disappointing.

Safe flight General.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I read where he was stopped by TSA in the early 2000's due to being in possession of a 'throwing star' - a potential 'weapon' in the eyes of the TSA. The story said he politely explained that it was actually a presidential Medal of Honor he had on his person.

I don't know if the story was true, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:33 pm I read where he was stopped by TSA in the early 2000's due to being in possession of a 'throwing star' - a potential 'weapon' in the eyes of the TSA. The story said he politely explained that it was actually a presidential Medal of Honor he had on his person.

I don't know if the story was true, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.... :roll:
That was General Joe Foss who it happened to. One of only 2 times even Snopes was correct. Yes, some one-eighth wit thought it was a throwing star.
D. Brian Casady
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A great West Virginian and great American.
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

He was friends with our neighbor who has long passed. He quail hunted here many times. I never met him but Dad and Uncle did
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

piller wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:51 pm Flying some of those things he flew was probably fun as could possibly be. I couldn't do it. First of all, my eyesight has never been good enough. That is enough that I couldn't have ever been allowed to try to learn. When you find out at 8 years old that you are legally blind without corrective lenses is sort of weird. I thought that no one could see across the street.
Haha. Same experience. Asked for flight duty on Navy P3's at one point and the detailer laughed, "you know that technically you're legally blind, right?" I think at the time I was 20/400 in one eye and 20/600 in the other. I got my first glasses in 3rd grade, thought it was the end of the world until I put them on and found out you could see leaves on trees. But I'll bet the Army still would have sent me to 'Nam.

Post by piller »

Being 20/450 in both eyes, I understand completely about not seeing that trees had leaves.
D. Brian Casady