Found a good cast load for the 1894 Winchester .32-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David LaPell
Levergunner

Found a good cast load for the 1894 Winchester .32-40

Post by David LaPell »

I really can't say how much I enjoy the Model 1894 Winchester rifle I got back in early October. I had never owned a .32-40 before but I've had 1894's in every other caliber, and I had heard that they can be very accurate. I went out, handloaded some Hornady 170 grain jacketed soft point rounds for it, used those to kill a nice 5 point buck on Election Day, but I wanted to play around with some cast bullets, so I ordered some .323" 170 grain cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works. Today I tried them out, 13.0 grains of IMR-4198, a nice mild load and I got two three shot groups at 30 yards of just around an inch. It shoots pretty well and now that it's getting cold, I can load up some more while there's nothing going on during the winter months.

It shoots really well with Hornady 170 grain jacketed soft points.

I used the jacketed soft point loads when I shot this nice 5 point buck.

I found an old box of Remington factory ammo and it shoots really well with those.

These were from the 170 grain cast bullets and 13.0 grains of IMR-4198.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Found a good cast load for the 1894 Winchester .32-40

Post by Sixgun »

Yep...you got a shooter there.

The most accurate cartridge in antique guns .....and I've owned and shot em all...most all......is the 38-55 and the 32-40. I use 20 grains of 5744 behind the Lyman gas check bullet for 1800 .......used it in Silhouette competition and it knocks down the 80 pound rams with ease from 200 meters. Brass is nothing more than 30-30 run through a 32-40 FLS. and seated to correct oal. Been shooting that rd for 40 years.

There really is not a dimes difference between the 32-40, 30-30 or the 32 Spl when loaded with smokeless in nickel steel barrels.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad to see you are getting good results.
The 32-40 is a scarce chambering in these parts. I've only ever owned 2, and have messed with them much.
The 38-55 was wildly popular. I own 5 now and have had several others. One of my favorites.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:30 am Yep...you got a shooter there.

The most accurate cartridge in antique guns .....and I've owned and shot em all...most all......is the 38-55 and the 32-40. I use 20 grains of 5744 behind the Lyman gas check bullet for 1800 .......used it in Silhouette competition and it knocks down the 80 pound rams with ease from 200 meters. Brass is nothing more than 30-30 run through a 32-40 FLS. and seated to correct oal. Been shooting that rd for 40 years.

There really is not a dimes difference between the 32-40, 30-30 or the 32 Spl when loaded with smokeless in nickel steel barrels.
My initial 32-40 load with a cast bullet was straight out of Venturino’s book 5744 and a 170 gr cast . Load was quite mild . I plunked a little four pointer with it at about 35 yards right behind the shoulder . He went about twenty yards into some thick stuff . I followed after a bit and he was sitting in their with his head up like a periscope , wasn’t dead obviously but he couldn’t get up either . I put another in and the deed was done . I kinda think if I’d put more powder it most likely woulda worked a bit better with more expansion as the load I shot was in the 1200 FPS area. That was a circa 1906 Marlin 1893 half round half octagon barrel , I really liked that rifle .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm
My initial 32-40 load with a cast bullet was straight out of Venturino’s book 5744 and a 170 gr cast . Load was quite mild . I plunked a little four pointer with it at about 35 yards right behind the shoulder . He went about twenty yards into some thick stuff . I followed after a bit and he was sitting in their with his head up like a periscope , wasn’t dead obviously but he couldn’t get up either . I put another in and the deed was done . I kinda think if I’d put more powder it most likely woulda worked a bit better with more expansion as the load I shot was in the 1200 FPS area. That was a circa 1906 Marlin 1893 half round half octagon barrel , I really liked that rifle .
Yea 6 point....not enough hydraulic action ......I have that book and he has the loads waaaayyy down, obviously for liability for the old Ballards and other worn out junk......his loads are accurate though......most mild loads are.......

5744 burns about like 4198 does....maybe a tad faster with some extra "umpph"......so whatever you see listed for 4198 you can use 5744 except top loads.......with caution....(you know as an experienced loader....all others read manuals)

Knocking out any Sika deer down your way?---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm
Yea 6 point....not enough hydraulic action ......I have that book and he has the loads waaaayyy down, obviously for liability for the old Ballards and other worn out junk......his loads are accurate though......most mild loads are.......

5744 burns about like 4198 does....maybe a tad faster with some extra "umpph"......so whatever you see listed for 4198 you can use 5744 except top loads.......with caution....(you know as an experienced loader....all others read manuals)

Knocking out any Sika deer down your way?---6
I’ve not been out on the Eastern Shore after Sika deer in four years now . I’ve clipped a few Whitetail’s but it’s been slow so far . I used the three SR powders for cast rifle loads before I used 5744 . My big reason for going to 5744 at the time was because many said powder position in the case wasn’t as critical as with say SR4759 . I incidentally came into a five pounder of SR4756 last week unopened .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

That's great! Don't you love the 32-40!!

I originally worked up a cast load for mine back 11 years ago. I just found the old post with the information on it. I'll past it here:

All of the bullets I used, were from Montana bullet works. Its the RCBS 82024 FNGC bullet sized to .322. That bullet is really for the 32WS, but it was the only one that had a gas check and I've heard from others that it works well in the 32-40 as well. Since the crimp groove is in the wrong place for the 32-40, I just seated all of the bullets down to the max length of 2.50 inches and crimped them good with the lee factory crimp die (that was special made for this caliber). I weighed the bullets and they turned out to be 183 grains. I used new winchester 32-40 brass and cci primers.

I first tried 16 grains of 5744. Those shot fine and read about 1350 through the chrony. Next was 17 grains of 5744 - still good and went through a little over 1500fps. Finally I had loaded some with 18 grains which still shot fine - no pressure signs and shot 1577fps (that's just over 1000 ft/lbs). Accurate arms' literature says you can go up to 20 grains with a 170 grain bullet, but I don't know if I want to go any higher with this heavier bullet - 18 should do the job.

I also loaded some up with 24 grains of 3031 and those shot well as well and ran about 1550fps. I loaded one round with 25 grains of 3031, but decided not to try it that day. Again sources say 26 grains is max with a 170 grain bullet, but 25 grains filled the case completely to the base of that long lead bullet, and I wasn't feeling brave. I might back down and try some at 24.5 first. Although 24 grains is probably plenty.

Now, fast forward to last year. I worked up some Hunting loads with some Hawk 165gr jacketed fn bullets. Worked up to 27 grains of 3031 for around 1900 fps and then killed a nice doe. Here are the original posts with some images if you are interested. again, as I say in my posts, my 32-40 has the nickel steel barrel, so this last load might be too much for BP barrels

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=22817

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=75541
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Could there be any higher pinnacle for a true levergunner than an early 94 with half magazine in .32-40 and that shoots so darned well? I think not! 8)
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Years back my uncle passed on to forever good hunting grounds and left in my care his 1894 in 32.40. This one had a full octgan barrel and was a takedown model.Found out later that his dad bought it from a man who was just drafted in WW2 and swore he would never come home. Both he and my uncle came home ok and he wanted to buy it back.Uncle said no and that was that. He always called it his musket and he wanted my brother to have his "musket" so I had to part with it. Just and idea as dabled in 45.70 loads for a Custer era trapdoor.I used same powders as you but found that a small amount of fishtank filter floss,1/2 gr or so,on top of the powder would keep powder down aganist the primer and give better and cleaner ignition.Push it down on powder with a piece of dowel wood.It will not stay compressed but expands to normal size but stays put. Nice 32.40...