Would it be possible...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Would it be possible...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

... to rebarrel a Remington Rolling Block in .32 Rimfire to .327 Federal Magnum?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Would it be possible...

Post by Catshooter »

Yes, but the re-barreling is the easy part. The firing pin hits in the wrong spot so the locking block has to be re-modeled. Often the firing pin channel is drilled out completely and then a plug is soldered in. Then a new channel is made. Easy to describe, not so easy to do.

Good luck.

Cat
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

If you look on YouTube Larry Potterfield did a video on the rolling block conversion from rimfire to center fire.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

I can't help but wonder if the greatly increased pressure would be a problem??? :?
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - even if the action design is capable, the steel has to be plenty-hard. I have no knowledge of the rolling-block guns, but I'm guessing anything chambered in 32 Rimfire would be old and soft steel. Of course sticking to '32-20' vintage loads would likely be zero problem, as those do fine in older soft-steel guns, or you could even just use 32-20 as the chamber-to round.

..............or...................how about 480 Achilles.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just curious. I've seen a couple Remington Rolling Blocks in .32 Rimfire recently for a decent price. Thought it would make for an interesting companion to my Ruger Single Seven. :D
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I thought that some of those old remingtons came with interchangeable firing pins for eithe 32 rim fire or 32 long colt?

or maybe that's not the same gun you are talking about. I might be thinking about the model 6 (?)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Flint the Marlin model 92 had interchangeable firing pins for 32 rf or 32 cf.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Would it be possible...
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 pm ... to rebarrel a Remington Rolling Block in .32 Rimfire to .327 Federal Magnum?
Hi Jay:

A similar posting was on the ASSRA (single shot rifle butt'n) website recently, and here are the responses:

"I have two 32rf rollers converted to cf. A #4 that now shoots 32 colt and a #2 that now shoots 32 Ballard extra long (just a longer version of 32 colt). The #4 is not strong enough for 32-20, much less 32-40. The #2 can handle 32-20, but not 32-40. A #1 could handle either of them."

"There is no need to go to effort for a conversion ... Roberson Cartridge Co converted their 32 Long CF brass to 32 Long RF for me and have cases in inventory for all rimfire calibers now. Then just buy some 6mm Flobert primers off the Internet, get a 32 caliber mold, load them up and your good to go. I did this for a 32 Long RF on an 1872 Stevens TipUp that chamber and fire perfectly"

I always thought of converting one to the 32 S&W Long, to plink with low-power loads, which could then also be fired in your handgun -- but I don't think I'd dare chamber one for the more powerful 327 Mag.

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A lot of different Rolling Block action sizes, so it's not as easy to just say it can be done, and done safely. It really depends on which action you use. But even if it's a full sized #5 smokeless action, the .327 Federal wouldn't be something I'd chamber it in. You're talking an old gun, with an old barrel, using a cartridge rated 45,000 psi, in an action that's not good for anything over 30,000 psi. And a earlier BP rolling Block shouldn't be chambered or loaded over 25,000 psi.
Of course you can download it, but then you really don't have a .327 Federal anymore, you've got a .32 Extra Long. And if you've got a #1 1/2, #2, or #4 action, then it's even more important not to make it a .327 Federal chambering.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

FLINT wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 pm I thought that some of those old remingtons came with interchangeable firing pins for eithe 32 rim fire or 32 long colt?

or maybe that's not the same gun you are talking about. I might be thinking about the model 6 (?)
None of the Remington Rolling Blocks had reversible, or dual firing pins. The breech blocks are specific to CF or RF.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS AS WELL.....BUT 38 RIMFIRE
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 am Flint the Marlin model 92 had interchangeable firing pins for 32 rf or 32 cf.
I bought one that only had the rimfire pin and had to have a centerfire pin made. The 32 rimfire is a thing of the past now, but imagine that the the ability to fire either one was quite handy back in the day.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks fellas. Still interesting if I can use .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, but only if I could get the base gun for a very reasonable price, as this is not something I'd use heavily. The better path if I want to go all the way up to .327 Federal Magnum is probably a modern single shot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .327 is a high pressure caliber. I would not trust an old gun to it. Hope you get something fixed the way you want.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost