Anyone have experience with the 6.5-06?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone have experience with the 6.5-06?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have been a fan of the 6.5s ever since putting hands on my first Swedish Mauser nearly 40 years ago. With all the recent developments. I have asked myself why the wildcat (later made official by A-Square) 6.5-06 never had its full day in the sunshine. I see one for sale in our LGS, made up on a Winchester 1917 action, and find it whispering to me. But I have no idea which of the reamers was used -- there are several, and Ackley versions -- and whose barrel was used. Tempted to gamble as the bore looks excellent.
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Anyone have experience with the 6.5-06?

Post by shasta_steve »

Never seen one but I am guessing that all things being set up correctly it would be a great round. Pretty much sits right between the 270 and the 25-06. The 25-06 is my favorite deer rifle. I have two of them now. I also used to shoot a 270 and it was a fantastic rifle also. My guess as to why it never took off was both the 25 and 270 were already pretty well established.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I have a couple and have had others. Used to have the standard version, now only have the Ackley version. One is on a Remington 700 action and has a 1 in 10 twist, the other is on a Savage action and has a 1 in 8 twist. I prefer the 1 in 8 twist. I don't know much about the variations on the chambers. The standard versions I had were what I assume was an 06 sized to a 6.5. I still have the dies for both, the AI dies are Redding and say 6.5x06 40degree.

I would check the twist on the barrel depending on what bullets you plan on shooting.

Both versions have been great and are good for hunting anything I hunt in Wyoming. I shot the barrels out of the first two standard versions at about 2,500 rounds each---they were both Pac-Nor barrels---you may get more out of a cut rifle barrel, but don't expect a long, accurate barrel life---like for sure, not over 3,000 rounds, they are not real easy on barrels.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Friend of mine put one together a few years ago, standard (not improved) version. Lilja barrel installed by a local gunsmith, he did his own stock work. Most accurate rifle I have ever shot; even us fellers who don't do much bench-rest shooting seem to be able to keep that baby under minute-of-angle out to the 450 yards his range goes to (on a calm day). And with the recent surge in popularity of the 6.5mm caliber there are lots of great bullets to choose from.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

How different could it be from the 6.8/06 aka .270 Winchester?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve had two the first was built on a 98 Mauser action with a Shilen carbon steel #3 contour 1:9 finished at 24” in a walnut stock . With Berger 130 VLD handloads it was a consistent sub 1/2 MOA rifle for three shot groups . The year I got it I hunted with it , fired it four times and had to skin etc four deer . When it comes to rifles that I want for accuracy etc a 98 isn’t my first choice and this one shot great . But a few months after season I sold it on GB to someone in a Texas and immediately took apart a circa 1963 Remington 700 BDL in 06 I had . This time I got a Shilen #3 1:9 stainless and finished it at 24” . Also Acra Glassed it in a synthetic BDL factory stock and set the trigger quite light . On the days my heads in the game from the bench with Berger 130 BLD handloads it flirts with 1/4 MOA now of course I have a large hunk of glass on it for paper punching . Anyway I like the plain vanilla 6.5-06 quite a bit as well as the 25-06 and 280 . Almost forgot year or so ago I built a 6mm-06 , the verdict is still out on that one as I got a 1:7.5 Hawk Hill barrel stainless of course . This one was built exclusively for the Berger 6mm 105 and 115 VLD hunting match bullets and so far on paper it’s doing the job . Just hasn’t been fired at a living creature so far .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

In my experience the easiest way to make 6.5-06 brass is to take new 25-06 brass and run it thru the 6.5-06 sizing die to open the neck then get on with the program .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bill...like the other guys have said, it's an excellent cartridge.....but you know little about THAT rifle.....unless you know who built it or who owned it, it could be like throwing away hundred dollar bills in a windstorm.

Anyone who has a rifle built in an off the wall cartridge obviously knows guns and common sense will tell you that it's been shot a lot. Back to my first paragraph.----6

Guys at the club are always selling their match rifles and as far as I'm concerned they are only worth their scrap steel weight. Same goes for any hot shot barrel burner like a Swift or 22-250.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, I know you and the other fellas tried to talk sense to me, but I stopped in after work yesterday, handled the mystery rifle and brought it home. It was less than $400, so the sting won't be too bad if she just won't shoot. One of the things that convinced me once I confirmed the bore was excellent was the meticulous inletting job that the builder did in fitting the action into a plain walnut Boyd's sporter stock. The builder also replaced the military trigger with an aftermarket trigger that I can't identify. But it is very good.
Issues include some binding at the rear of the bolt stroke that may require lapping. (A gunsmith friend advises that this is not uncommon where the "duck pond" on the rear receiver bridge of a 1917 has been filled in.)
I have still to measure the rate of twist, check headspace and pour a Cerrosafe cast of the chamber for clues about reamer and throat.
I hope I can get the rifle smoothed up and develop a pronghorn/mule deer load it likes. Will report successes and failures.

Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Should be about like a 6.5-284 which was all the rage for long range accurate shooting for awhile. Hope your barrel is in good shape. If used for hunting, it should last a long time. Thought about building one (6.5-06) but came across a 6.5 swede in a Ruger #1 so the build went by the wayside.

Good luck on your new toy!!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Kind of looks like a Timney or Dayton trigger. Let us know how it shoots. Most of my 6.5's including my Swedes have shot well with 160 Hornady RN or 160 Sierra Semi pointed---which I don't think are made any more----they shoot good, only issue is they have the ballistic profile of rock...HA, not a long range bullet.

Best of luck with it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Bill.......I relent as you bought it the way that makes sense...you nearly stole it... :D I've paid more then $400 just for triggers.......check your twist with a tight fitting patch, a Sharpie, and a ruler.....

Cerosafe is for smart people....I'm a redneck......after finding the twist do your research on the bullet you will most likely be using then do the trick with a slightly resized neck with a painted/Sharpied bullet and seat it .015 shy of the rifling. Forget MOAL. My .223's are as long as a 30-06 :D

Looks like a fine way to spend some time. I enjoy challenging projects.

$400! About 2 months of an electric bill...well done!---6......006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd lay even money that rifle came outta my alma matter north of you in Trinidad, the vault had barrels full of K98s and p14&17s when I was there. Cheap project actions!

I knew a guy here that used a 6.5-06 as his groundhog rifle, amazingly accurate!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!