357 vs 44 Levergun - video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

357 vs 44 Levergun - video

Post by AJMD429 »

A levergun video on 357 and 44 Mag from LuckyGunner - https://youtu.be/H8SHPYTdPh0
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 357 vs 44 Levergun - video

Post by Grizz »

this video is interesting. I have shot some deer with 357 revolver, and a lot of deer with 44, both revolver and levergun. There is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE between what the 44 does and what the 357 does, that I can see in the way the animals react to the shots.

I understand the arguments on both sides for comparison tests, I do them also. BUT, there is no comparison in my field experience. PLUS, one of my issues is that I might have to stop a charging bear. A 357 with hollow point ammo might work, or might not. A 44 with hard cast ammo, stands a good chance of stopping bears. I know of two that were stopped with white box 240gr, both head shots on a fast charging brown bear.

naturally your mileage will vary
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Roger on all of that. But, my hunting loads are heavy for caliber AND less than saami pressures.

As for buffalo bore, I talked to that guy in Alaska when he was hunting for trophy brownies, and he said that he didn't feel well equiped with a 45/70 either! I can't remember what his bear woods gun was.

This got me learning about TKO for comparing rounds, which factors in momentum, and a 45/70 525gr hard cast bullet literally blows the pistol calibers off the charts.

My 44 revolver round now is 405gr, and while not great at 200 yards, it's very good inside an 80 yard circle. 357 will never get there, I think, as far as the wound forensics and actual "stopping power" go. The 44 round I harvested the most deer was 325gr plain base hard cast. I never chronoed it, but someone told me he did and it was so slow that he thought I should bump it up to 1500fps. From my revolver. I didn't, but that 325 load was an absolute hammer on venison, with a hole you can eat right up to.

But, I don't doubt that someone could use 357 for everything and do just fine. I guess. . . :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good video... nice detailed info, even if it was a VERY predicable conclusion... :P :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have an airgun for the lighter loads !! :lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

COsteve,
I do not remember the velocity claimed by Buffalo Bore for their 180 grain loads, but they do shoot well in my 1892 .357 with 20 inch barrel. I have never bothered to Chrony them as I usually hunt with lighter handloads or 158 factory loads. Even 125 grain factory ammo kills hogs well.
I do remember how destructive my 140 grain handload was on a deer my wife shot with it - 6 inch hole in offside hide and big meat cavity - reckon 2200 fps was too hot? :):):)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - for me the biggest 'difference' is in "shootability", particularly for the newbie...

A nice little 16" 357 levergun loaded with 38 Special level loads will be easy to hold steady for a petite person, low recoil, and FUN for them to shoot, so they will learn and enjoy. Load it with hotter loads and it will deal with up to whitetail deer sized game and predators (2 or 4 legged) with ease unless they are really dangerous.

A 20" 44 Mag (or 45 Colt) levergun will THUMP things harder, and would be my preference as an experienced shooter if I need a deer down quickly and reliably, or might be dealing with a bear. However, it will likely 'overwhelm' a newbie, so if a family wants just one rifle/carbine, I'd advise the 357 Mag.

In addition, even as an experienced, relatively recoil-immune guy, I have to say that same experience makes me even more confident that I can place the 357 Mag shot properly and get the most out of the cartridge.

Bottom line I tell people - get a 357 Mag unless you are the only one to shoot it, and are a large-frame guy. THEN after a few months, you'll want to get ANOTHER levergun anyway, so get whichever chambering you didn't get the first time.... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We all 'know' the 44 is better because it starts with a 4! :D
This is why I like my 41, best of both ends, little heavier bullet than 357 , velocity increase but not as bad as in recoil as the 44.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

For someone who hasn't used either of the rounds in the field and who might be trying to make a decision on choice of caliber, the video is enlightening.

Me, I didn't really get anything new from the video that couldn't be surmised from the ballistics tables on the side of any of those cartridge boxes, and a passable ballistics calculator.

Thanks for sharing, Doc!

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve